Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 31, 2018   #1936
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

gonna be 60 and some sun today so I will prob start my little push mower and spot mow. Easter Sunday not so nice.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #1937
salix
Tomatovillian™

Well, happy spring and almost April! Yesterday spent a lot of time shovelling a foot of wet, heavy snow that had drifted and packed. It is only -15 C now, and a nice sunny day, but overnight it got down to -23 C

I am so ready for some grass and warm weather...
Old March 31, 2018   #1938
bower
Tomatovillian™

The weather station says we're up to 10 C (50 F) so I dragged my boots on and took a walk out the driveway. Some major mud - extremely soft where it has just thawed. It has been dark like midwinter all day, doesn't feel warm or pleasant, a real nip in the wind, and greenhouse is not over 50 F either. Patches of fog or mist are blowing through the yard. But there are patches of bare ground amongst the snow and they are getting larger...
Tomorrow forecast high is 6 C but sunshine with that! I bet it'll be much nicer.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #1939
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Well, happy spring and almost April! Yesterday spent a lot of time shovelling a foot of wet, heavy snow that had drifted and packed. It is only -15 C now, and a nice sunny day, but overnight it got down to -23 C

I am so ready for some grass and warm weather...
Argh!! That's not fair Salix. Way too cold for April!!!
I was going to say the good thing about snow is you don't have to mow it, but...
I hope your break in the weather comes soon!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #1940
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Been really nice the last couple of days and yesterday hubby and I spent about 3 hours power washing all the concrete in front, the entire front of the house, including windows, the glass security door, the garage door and entire front of garage area. Wow, the house looks great, no more green mold on the brick and the concrete is white with pretty colored pebbles in it. That concrete has always had an ugly gray color to it and brooms did nothing to clean it up. I was hurting so bad yesterday I had to take a muscle relaxer to stop the cramping in my mid back and ribs area. My hips and knees are better today, lol. You know they say to keep busy it will help you overall, but when I do keep busy it hurts me to no end. Then they say don't do too much. Well gee, just cleaning the kitchen or cooking hurts me, lol. Anyway, I'm going to post this awesome power washer we got so we could clean the house and paint the house from the hurricane damage. That wind took the paint off like it was sandpaper.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; March 31, 2018 at 04:42 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #1941
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Been really nice the last couple of days and yesterday hubby and I spent about 3 hours power washing all the concrete in front, the entire front of the house, including windows, the glass security door and the garage door and entire front of garage area. Wow, the house looks great, no more green mold on the brick and the concrete is white with pretty colored pebbles in it. That concrete has always had an ugly gray color to it and brooms did nothing to clean it up. I was hurting so bad yesterday I had to take a muscle relaxer to stop the cramping in my mid back and ribs area. My hips and knees are better today, lol. You know they say to keep busy it will help you overall, but when I do keep busy it hurts me to no end. Then they say don't do too much. Well gee, just cleaning the kitchen or cooking hurts me, lol. Anyway, I'm going to post this awesome power washer we got so we could clean the house and paint the house from the hurricane damage. That wind took the paint off like it was sandpaper.
Many don't realize how much damage those types of storms can do, beyond the destruction. I'm sorry you are hurting, but at the least you are getting around and getting so much done. I'm in awe of you and your husband, so much accomplished since the hurricane!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #1942
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Many don't realize how much damage those types of storms can do, beyond the destruction. I'm sorry you are hurting, but at the least you are getting around and getting so much done. I'm in awe of you and your husband, so much accomplished since the hurricane!
Thanks Imp, and still so much more to do. We still don't have the ceiling work completed yet. The RV is sold, so don't have to deal with that.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #1943
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

we were forecast to get 4 to 8 inches of snow today, 100% chance of snow.
we got snow, but it was only an inch or so. now, we have blue sky, sunshine, and puffy white clouds. looks real nice out, but there is a brisk wind, and the temperature is only in the teens.

planting tomato seeds tomorrow.

keith
rxkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #1944
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

very nice..........63 degrees...mowed and burnt brush..time to plow!
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #1945
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My weather stinks, especially with a greenhouse that is getting more full by the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg easterweather.jpg (69.1 KB, 43 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #1946
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Sorr for the bad weather in Texas. I hope the worse is over.
Over here in Southwestern NC we are getting some warmer winds coming from SW, mabe from TexaS?
Today,s high was around 54f. Tomorrow an Monday will shut up to 80s. With all my tomatoes planted out that should be a shot in the arm to those lanky seedling. They need 7 to 10 days of good weather to grab the soil and get growing.
Have direct sown cucurbits , bean and okra.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #1947
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

It has been the coldest, wettest March I ever remember here in KY. The weather man said we have had rain or snow 23 out of the last 28 days to the tune of around 7.5 inches.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #1948
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
My weather stinks, especially with a greenhouse that is getting more full by the day.
Cole, that forecast bites.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #1949
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Cole, that forecast bites.
Saturday morning is my next market. I may not even go. It's not worth it to take my plants out into such brutal weather to try to sell them. I had some mustard greens in containers this morning that wilted as soon as they hit the wind. A fellow vendor said his petunias did the same thing. It's rough trying to sell plants in this weather.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #1950
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

We are saying (proverb) . March we are going behind the stove (Březen za kamna vlezem).
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Březen .jpg (53.7 KB, 32 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote