Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old July 24, 2014   #16
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Brokenbar mentions using a roaster to reduce sauce. It sounds like a good method. I'm so broke right now though, and all I need is another piece of equipment. Why the Eurodib sounds good, sounds easy to store, takes little room. Anyway I was thinking of using a Crockpot, and cook it slow and easy with the lid off. Also let it settle first and siphon some of the water away before I even start.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2014   #17
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

the Eurodib would probably do just what you want it to do. I picked the one I did because of the size of the hopper. I can put a lot in mine. Also I liked the way the back to basics turned with my bad shoulders I did not think i could just spin that handle over and over. Up and around is easier for me.
The important thing is how gizmos like this help us process our veggies. I hope you have as good of luck as I did with mine!!
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2014   #18
drew51
Tomatovillian™

The company that makes it makes kitchen equipment. Commercial equipment. So i have confidence. Sounds like all of these are decent. My harvest is coming along. The tomatoes are starting to ripen. I better order something soon! I'm freezing a few for now, and will process later. I got one tomato off everything, all had one early, funny. Only Russo Sicilian Togetta has had ripe tomotoes. Five so far, a little small but pretty tomatoes.
Old July 24, 2014   #19
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Drew,
For low volume processing, the freezer works wonders. I wash, quarter, freeze them on trays and then bag for later. Freezing bursts all the cell walls, so when you toss them into a big colander to defrost, you are left with almost all pulp no matter the variety. I slip the skins as I toss them into the hopper as well and don't have to clean the screen much at all. The end product requires substantially less cooking down time.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2014   #20
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Thanks James, very cool! Appreciate the tips!! Will do!