Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 19, 2013   #316
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Looking for an idea to separate seeds when reusing the Jiffy 72 seed flats, filling them with DE instead of using the little peat pods. Trying to think of some sort of plastic strips or something to keep the different types of seeds separate so that I don't have a jumbled mess of 72 seeds, all different types mixed together.
Getting ready to plant a bunch of peppers and would like to use the bag of DE I just purchased from the auto parts store.

Tracy, what about taping wood sticks across each row to keep each seed separate. Like in a line-not squares? Does that make sense?

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2013   #317
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Okay, I'm not that bright sometimes. How many of you mentioned that the DE would pour out of the holes? Pretty sure it was at least a few. I even got out some cotton to put in the bottom of the cells to prevent that.

But I forgot. So now there are 72 cells of rapidly germinating seeds and plants (Which is the good news!), and every time the upper tray with the cells has to be moved to pour water into the bottom tray, I lose some DE out of the cells. There is a tiny little Lipstick pepper seedling that is now in a deep dark hole. So sad!

So now the name of the game is "Do Not Move the Top Tray FOR ANY REASON!" Don't know exactly what is going to happen when I have to separate out any varieties to try to slow them down/speed them up for grafting purposes.
I think I warned of this problem. One thing I did when I had this situation was to just go ahead and move them into the bottom watering trays and then just pour more DE into the cups to replace the DE that had leaked out. It worked on most of them with no problems with the exception of the ones that had holes that were really way too big.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2013   #318
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I actually realized that the Jiffy seed trays have removable dividers which are perfect for what I need! They have circles where each seed would get dropped in so I can even divide to each seed!
I didn't realize it was there because it was at the bottom of the Jiffy pots. I also didn't realize it was removable.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013   #319
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

Comparing root systems of live oaks I plant in diatomite vs. seed starting mix... ultrasorb definitely wins. Beautifully fibrous roots that have transplanted beautifully.

One of the things I really like about diatomite is that it mitigates the problems caused by a container that promotes circling roots in seedling trees. The roots lift free of the medium so easily that the whole length of unusually fibrous taproot can be extended vertically into the transplanting hole. I'm going to plant these trees at a local dog park, and I have high hopes

I've also used the very coarse optisorb to save another orchid. It's almost criminal how easy it was.
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013   #320
Diriel
Tomatovillian™

I have been considering a Live Oak for my front yard that has really bad soil. I need to drastically amend the soil anyhow, so perhaps adding in a truckload or 2 or 3 of ultrasorb along with other stuff might be the ticket.
Diriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013   #321
JoParrott

The more I read about DE the more optimistic I am of unending possibilities of using it. I am SO anxious for the time to come for my seed sowing!
Old January 21, 2013   #322
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diriel View Post
I have been considering a Live Oak for my front yard that has really bad soil. I need to drastically amend the soil anyhow, so perhaps adding in a truckload or 2 or 3 of ultrasorb along with other stuff might be the ticket.
This is a little off topic, but don't amend the soil for a tree. All the research now shows the best thing to do is force the young transplant to adapt to the native soil as quickly as possible. Otherwise the roots can circle in the amended area, along with host of other complex problems you probably don't want to hear about. A thick layer of mulch as far out from the tree as you can, is a great help though. No mulch right up against the trunk. Light fertilization with any all-purpose organic fertilizer scattered over the mulch is a good idea as well.
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013   #323
Diriel
Tomatovillian™

greentiger87,

Thank you for the info. Part of the reason I am considering Live Oak is because I have read it tolerates many kinds of soils. The old saying Less is More just saved me a LOT of effort
Diriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #324
JoParrott

This thread has become silent-where is everybody? I am still planning my sowing and waiting for friends to give me more egg cartons!
Old January 27, 2013   #325
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I am busy sowing seeds to cat litter.

I have now started leek, pepper, basil, petunia and few tomato seeds in the moler type diatomite. I have to get a new bag to start rest of the tomatoes in beginnig of February.

Sari
Old January 27, 2013   #326
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I just potted up my rootstock tomatoes from my first planting and it was a breeze. I bottom watered the egg cartons with the DT and seedlings in them. I then filled styrofoam coffee cups with potting soil which was well moistened and made a depression in the middle. Then I scooped out each seedling with a spoon and set it in the depression and patted everything down a bit. They were so easy to transplant even the smallest ones were a breeze to handle this way. I feel like they will be ready to try grafting very soon. Now if only that will be as successful.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #327
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Actually setting out more tomato seeds today, rootstock and scion, in my second 72 cell flat. (This time I've put pieces of coffee filter in the bottom to stop up the holes so that the DE doesn't run out.)

The first 72 cell tray is looking very good with tiny little plants everywhere. A few varieties of pepper didn't do well, but the seed was older, so that is most likely the problem. All of the tomatoes are growing like gangbusters.

The main problem is that the tomato rootstock is so much thinner that the other tomato plants. Since the stems have to match up for grafting, that isn't going to work!

Lat week, I took out the two small trays of tomato scions and put them in a cooler area. I left the rootstock in the area over the heating pad. Today I can finally see that some of the rootstock appear to be catching up with some of the scions. So there is hope, after all.

This DE is doing very well. I just put water in the bottom of the tray and it wicks up naturally. It doesn't get soggy at all. The plants certainly seem to like it.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #328
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

What very coarse optisorb did you use and from where? I'm less impressed with the DE as seed starting than others but the orchid application has me intrigued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentiger87 View Post

I've also used the very coarse optisorb to save another orchid. It's almost criminal how easy it was.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #329
JoParrott

Chris, the DE cat litter sold at Dollar Tree is pretty coarse compared to the Ultrasorb I bought.
Old January 27, 2013   #330
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I will check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
Chris, the DE cat litter sold at Dollar Tree is pretty coarse compared to the Ultrasorb I bought.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote