Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old February 23, 2012   #1
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Default cat litter-dry dog food

has anybody used cat litter(new) as a supplement for containers or in transplanting and, if so, what were the results? i have heard that dry dog food is good as a source of nitrogen. has anyone tried it? jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Cat litter No way it is nothing but clay and is horrible.

I rented a place years ago and the people that lived there before me just dumped the stuff out in the back yard.
It wont go away!!!!!!!
I had to scoop it all up and put it in the garbage.

My dog Boo Boo would kill me if I used his dog food for such a thing.
He read this post and started growling.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #3
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

My dog Boo Boo would kill me if I used his dog food for such a thing.
He read this post and started growling.

Worth
Boo Boo is one smart dawg!!!!! Did he help you type your response too? :p
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #4
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

For overly sandy soil and/or overly acid, cat litter wouldn't be too bad a thing.

Dog food? I just wouldn't. As far as anything involving uncomposted meat goes, I'd think a smallish can of water-packed sardines whizzed in a blender (perhaps after removing the skins, which are somewhat oily) with lots of water, and diluted with lots more water, would be the safest and most effective form of uncomposted meat I can think of. Presuming it's fresh and thus unfermented, not necessarily a good idea to apply it too close to the roots of existing plants.

That's just a hypothesis. Please don't sue me if experimental results fail to confirm the hypothesis.
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #5
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Jon, I wouldn't consider using either.

Dog food would attract rats, mice, raccoons, dogs, possums, and just about every other varmit. Besides, doesn't a bag of dog food cost more than a bag of perlite/peat/nitrolized wood chips?

Cat litter, if it is the clay, clumping type, would be a mess and probably a quick way to kill a plant. Again, the cat litter I buy costs more than perlite, I don't know why I would even consider it.

I would stick to the amendments discussed elsewhere on this forum, although if you decide to experiment, let us know how it goes. Nothing wrong with experimenting! I may be totally wrong.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #6
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

I have used old, stale cheap cat food to mix into the soil and in the bottom of new raised beds. You will, indeed, get some wildlife activity when it's mixed into the upper regions, less so if it's beneath six or eight inches of other material. I've also added old cakes mixes, bags of flour, old dry pasta, and old flour tortillas. Waste not, want not.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #7
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Petronius II,

With what most dry dog and cat food goes through to come into existence, it might be more than composted!
Old February 23, 2012   #8
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by delltraveller View Post
I have used old, stale cheap cat food to mix into the soil and in the bottom of new raised beds. You will, indeed, get some wildlife activity when it's mixed into the upper regions, less so if it's beneath six or eight inches of other material. I've also added old cakes mixes, bags of flour, old dry pasta, and old flour tortillas. Waste not, want not.
You need a chicken! My chicken eats stale cat food and tortillas.
Come to think of it, chickens also attract coyotes, raccoons and skunks...
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #9
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
You need a chicken! My chicken eats stale cat food and tortillas.
Here, I'd have to take a class, pay $25 per year, officially inform neighbors and, to meet distance requirements, build a coop up in the air to have six hens.
Old February 23, 2012   #10
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Most cat litter is just fireclay. Not sure what benefit that would have in a potting mix.
Fire Clay (AP Green)- 52% SiO2, 30% Al2O3, 1% Fe2O3, 1.5% TiO2, .05% CaO, .05% Na2O, .2% K2O, and .03% MnO2.
Old February 23, 2012   #11
peppero
Tomatovillian™

worth i think you and i could have some interesting conversations. jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #12
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Some cat litters turn to a nasty mud-like substance when exposed to moisture. Others contain deodorizers and/or additives that are unsuitable for landscape use. Still others are made from a calcined clay that's similar to NAPA floor-dry and a ball field conditioner called Turface. The latter are ideal soil conditioners: high cation exchange capacity, perfect texture and excellent moisture retaining properties. They are also very stable - rated at something like 5% breakdown over 20 years.

I use Turface as a significant component of my potting mixes and wouldn't grow without it.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012   #13
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I feed my dogs and cats eat raw meat. When I'm replacing it I end up with a lot of blood. I usually give this to the chickens but sometimes, if I have too much, I'll dilute it and use it on the garden.
Anybody know a way, without too much trouble, to compost feathers? I get a lot of those.
Dog food is made of so much disgusting stuff, I won't even feed it to my chickens, even the organic. Have you seen some of the you tube videos where they take pet carcasses behind vet offices to grind for pet foods? That would be meat by-products!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012   #14
JoParrott

My Dollar Tree store sells 5# bags of cat litter that is 100% diatomaceous earth, and I have been using it as a soil amendment for both containers and in ground for 2 years with success. It is about the consistency of perlite, and greatly adds to the aeration capability os the soil.
Old February 27, 2012   #15
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

DE as soil conditioner? Wo would of thought? I use it in my coop and garden all the time to prevent pests like ants, lice, mice and aphids.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote