Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 31, 2007   #1
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Default Wilt, no other symptoms

Well, it's happening again. In fact, it's at the exact same locations in the garden as the plants that wilted last year. Perfectly healthy plants, no yellowing, no spots, no nothing. Then the lower leaves begin to wilt, and the weather is 75 degrees and plenty of water. Plants on either side are fine. No walnut tree is near these plants. It's quite disappointing, because the Chris Ukrainian plant has two tomatoe on (2" and a 1") and tons of flowers.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Thanks.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Are all plants of all varieties affected?

What happens after the lower leaves wilt as in what is the progression of symtoms?

Do the -plants die?

Is the wilting reversible when you water?

Are you Wtering too much which also can cause wilting?
Old June 1, 2007   #3
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

The problem is independent of variety. Last year it was Neves Azorean Red, Earl of Edgecomb, Golden Queen (USDA), and a few others. This year it's Chris Ukrainian, Wins All, and others.

Last year the plants wilted and some branches would revive and re-wilt. The flowers shriveled up and died. The plants were stunted. No fruit production. Yet, the plants didn't outright die. It was sort of a wasting disease.

I have not watered yet this year, so it's not over watering. We've had some small rains, enough to keep everything quite healthy. Mulch is water permeable plastic weed suppresion. First year I've used it, and so far it's working fine. Soil is moist below the plastic.

It's got to be something in the soil in these locations. It's way too much of a coincidence that it's the same locations in the garden. Yet, there is nothing special about these locations.
Old June 2, 2007   #4
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Nighttime and early morning recovery is noted in all affected plants. By mid-day, full-on wilt is occurring. I cut an affected stem and placed it in water. No milky discharge. So, I don't think it's bacterial wilt. I am now thinking it is fusarium wilt.

Can a healthy stem from the affected plants be cut and replanted in another location with any hope of success?
Old June 2, 2007   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I had a similar thing happen in one of my shadier beds last year with nicely growing plants that had been in the ground for several weeks. On closer inspection, I noticed the bottom inch of stem where it emerged from the earth was shriveled and sunken, like an adult case of damping off. It only affected two plants, and I did cut one off and re-rooted it. It did survive, but was really far behind in production. I never did get a definitive answer, but a fungus infection sounds logical. I had high newspaper collars to protect against cutworms that I believe contributed to my problem. Do you have mulch pulled up against the stems?
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2007   #6
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

I have a plant doing this. It is the largest plant I have and was doing great until a few days ago. Everything is green, except all but a very few leaves are wilted. I'm resisting the urge to grap the flashlight and go see if the stem out of the ground is shriveled and sucken as was the case for ddsack.

I'll check it in the morning.
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2007   #7
hunter
Tomatovillian™

I should have read this post before posting my own. I have a Galinas doing the same thing. No obvious damage, but it almost looks like its melting during the day. At night anf by morning it's perked up and looks just fine. I think I'll just yank it out of the bed tonight and try another in its place. The prognosis doesn't sound very promising otherwise.

For the record, it was a very healthy looking plant until last weekend. Very vigorous. No obvious pests, no obvious physical damage. Well watered, well drained. Newspaper and straw mulch. Plants 3' away do not exhibit this wilt. All were previously treated with Ortho's daconil product.
hunter is offline   Reply With Quote