Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 31, 2018   #16
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Ginger, I think he tried BT already without success.
If the BT is fresh ( a big if!) and applied thoroughly, it will work,it has to by its nature.Takes a day to kill them, he might just be a little impatient. I get these every year, and BT always works.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018   #17
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Bt is a wonderful product. It comes as a dust or liquid. we use a liquid and add a spreader sticker to make it adhere to the plant. use it on all cole crops and the tomatoes and peppers... anything that a worm would infest. as it eats the bacteria(Bt) it gets a signal that it is full and virtually starves to death. essentially killing the entire cycle of pest. the liquid is a better choice than the dust as the dust will rinse right off even with a heavy dew at this time of year.
Old August 31, 2018   #18
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
If the BT is fresh ( a big if!) and applied thoroughly, it will work,it has to by its nature.Takes a day to kill them, he might just be a little impatient. I get these every year, and BT always works.

I never would have thought of the freshness being important. Thanks, it may well be handy to know sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Bt is a wonderful product. It comes as a dust or liquid. we use a liquid and add a spreader sticker to make it adhere to the plant. use it on all cole crops and the tomatoes and peppers... anything that a worm would infest. as it eats the bacteria(Bt) it gets a signal that it is full and virtually starves to death. essentially killing the entire cycle of pest. the liquid is a better choice than the dust as the dust will rinse right off even with a heavy dew at this time of year.

What do you use as a spreader sticker?

I've never used BT.
Old August 31, 2018   #19
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Deleted post. When I created it, all the other similar responses hadn't loaded yet! Couldn't figure out how to delete it other than just wiping out the text as I couldn't find any deletion mechanism.

Last edited by GoDawgs; August 31, 2018 at 07:59 AM.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018   #20
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Don't kill it, just smack it around a good bit, and tell him to go back and tell his friends that they'll get more of the same if they come messing in your garden.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018   #21
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

It's bacteria in spore form, extreme heat can kill it.It can go bad from a very long shelf life too. I always use the liquid type, and yes a spreader of a little squeeze of dish soap after mixed.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018   #22
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

use a spreader sticker if you have rain in the forecast. it is a different product. it allows some rain to fall without it being rinsed off of the plant. dishsoap can be used to break the tension of the water to allow it to be sprayed uniformly without running off the plant immediately but a spreader sticker makes it stick to the plant.