Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2016   #16
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Intense yellow or orange?

My first one would be Earl of Edgecombe,hands down,an orange

Then add Jaune Flammee

Sweet Ozark Orange
Orange Minsk
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Kellogg's Breakfast/KBX
Tangella

....to name a few

I know of few intense yellow varieties but would mention

Dixie Golden Giant
Galina's Yellow
Livingston's Gold Ball
Yellow Brandywine ( Platfoot strain)
Azchoyka

Taste has many variables associated with it that include how grown,which amendments,year grown, and more, but there's also a human genetic factor known. Which means that someones spitter is another person's beloved variety.

Carolyn
I'm doing the KBX this year. What do you know, my 2017 grow list already has Earl of Edgecomb and Jaune Flammee......gee who's book did I have my nose buried in this past winter?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #17
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Dwarf Blazing Beauty has a great flavor intensity, could be compared to Aunt Gertie's Gold in my experience.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #18
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Orange strawberry and Amana Orange for me. Along with Orange Jazz, but I am biased about that one.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #19
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I don't like pale yellow. My preference is Orange.
How about Fred's Orange jazz for 2017 ?
I'll take it.
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2016   #20
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Aunt Gertie is great tasting, plenty of acid, intense color and probably the best texture in a tomato. Stingy as hell though. Also, not to be grown in containers, it just gets serious magnesium deficiency no matter what.
Azoychka is also good, a bit different taste, even more tart, but pale yellow inside (the skin is a normal, darker, yellow).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2016   #21
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Aunt Gertie is great tasting, plenty of acid, intense color and probably the best texture in a tomato. Stingy as hell though. Also, not to be grown in containers, it just gets serious magnesium deficiency no matter what.
Azoychka is also good, a bit different taste, even more tart, but pale yellow inside (the skin is a normal, darker, yellow).
Those are good ones but not orange that I would like. I was and am growing Azoychka. I like it but it is just yellow. Actually I prefer something even slightly darker than orange, i.e. yellow with more red in it.
I tried Big Rainbow. Nice orange in the mix but it was not productive in my garden.

I have to see some pictures. Its odd , to me, to talk about color with no pictures. I am partly visual person.
here is an Azoychka in the center
colors.jpg

Gardeneer
Old July 6, 2016   #22
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

For a hybrid, I recommend Orange Slice, 1 pound orange tomatoes that taste good.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2016   #23
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I have done well with Azoychka and Jaunne Flamme..

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2016   #24
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I agree with zip ode about AGG. One of my favourite but most frustrating tomato to grow. I'm growing it this year in ground as a last attempt. It's true about growing it in containers. It didn't occur to me when I first tried to grow it why it looked so terrible. But even in soil I've had to give it a shot of magnesium this year.
I'm also growing Orange Minsk for the first time. Didn't like Azoychka but I'll blame that on a bad growing year. Jaune flamee was great but left it off this year. Too many things to try. I am growing orange Caprese which continues to look like it's half dead lol!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016   #25
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Dwarf Blazing Beauty has a great flavor intensity, could be compared to Aunt Gertie's Gold in my experience.
Another one to consider for a container. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Orange Jazz, but I am biased about that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
How about Fred's Orange jazz for 2017 ?
Thanks for the reminder! I'll put this on the short list for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Azoychka. I like it but it is just yellow. Actually I prefer something even slightly darker than orange, i.e. yellow with more
I know from here and the other forum that you are a big proponent of Azoychka. Is it just the aesthetics of the color you find dissatisfying, or is there a link to taste? I definitely have Azoychka in my long term goals, though I'm not sure about next year.

Thanks to everyone for all their great suggestions. Luckily, I have plenty of time to decide. Although that often works against me, as it just gives me more time to be seduced by even more varieties.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016   #26
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
I know from here and the other forum that you are a big proponent of Azoychka. Is it just the aesthetics of the color you find dissatisfying, or is there a link to taste? I definitely have Azoychka in my long term goals, though I'm not sure about next year.

I like Azochka. Last year it was the most productive in my garden. Taste was good too, slightly on the tangy side.
So I am not giving up Azoychka, but I would like also to have a nice orange color.

Azoychka 8-1.jpg

Gardeneer
Old July 8, 2016   #27
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Just a quick word about Orange Strawberry - great tomato but for me when made into a sauce, oh my! So delicious and the most gorgeous color. Sweet with a nice bit of acidity to it. Just loved it.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2016   #28
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Orange Minsk, Earl of Edgecombe at the top of my list. KB and KBX are great, but never produce well for me.
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2016   #29
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Just a quick word about Orange Strawberry - great tomato but for me when made into a sauce, oh my! So delicious and the most gorgeous color. Sweet with a nice bit of acidity to it. Just loved it.

Thanks for the tip. next time I grow it, I'll try to remember that. Usually I love to eat all the tasty ones fesh, and only cook the not-so-delicious leftovers...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2016   #30
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryStPaul View Post
Orange Minsk, Earl of Edgecombe at the top of my list. KB and KBX are great, but never produce well for me.
concur on KB.
I grew it last year and production was very poor. Maybe our cool climate is not warm enough for it.
Gardeneer