Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2006   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default SOD'S Law ""

I dont quite know why- Sods law, always seems to apply especialy with tomatoes,

It always seems to happen that when sowing seeds- the most common ones of which you have plenty of seeds always come up in droves, the rarer ones of which you only have from 2-5 seeds and are waiting for desperatly always seem to only come up in ones or two's sometimes only one, and of those two one or more has a seed husk stuck on it.

The very rare ones you tried realy hard to get and you just sit there day after day waiting for them to pop up- never actualy do, its all part of Sods law .

Tomato plants- the common ones romp away and grow without problems, the rarer ones of which you might only have one or two - wont set their fruit, or wont ripen , or the horn worms only attack these particular plants and leave the common ones alone- Sods Law again.

Sod it.""
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2006   #2
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Or your precious rare ones do indeed germinate, do well for a few weeks, then succumb to an unexpected late freeze. And sitting right next to the poor frozen remants are lots of healthy looking, common as muck Grosse Lisse wondering what all the fuss is about!
Old March 21, 2006   #3
tanagerzoo
Tomatovillian™

(heavy sigh) I'm right there with you. I've sowed 30 varieties. They've come up like gang busters and I've already potted up--except for Earl's Faux and Virginia Sweets. Prue had me going there for awhile, but she finally gave me 2 robust seedlings. For EF and VS, I have sowed, resowed, soaked in tea, soaked in weak Fish emulsion, weak Miracle Gro, let germinate in a cool dark place, in a dark place with warmth barely covered in saran wrap. I've finally been rewarded with one raggedy EF which I am guarding like an overprotective mom. And Virginia Sweets has failed utterly. I tried all 20 seeds. Yesterday I sowed Burracker's Favorite as a replacement, but I'm bummed as VF and EF are my two most anticipated varieties. But hopefully I'll get at least one EF (crossing my fingers). I'll have to request more VS seeds from a different source.

Christine
tanagerzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2006   #4
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

That is so true. I was just doing the math yesterday, and my worse fears were realized.
I sowed 157 varieties and had 3 no shows. Of the no shows, one was traded seed, one SSE seed, and one a free SSE gift. I was not really excited about those, but of the ones I only wanted 1 or 2 seedlings, just about always got 90-100 %. The varieties I wanted 5 or more, generally germinated one. Very interesting...
Anyway, I haven't counted the total, but I will have enough this year....even for 2 late freezes, should history repeat itself.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2006   #5
melody
Tomatovillian™

I thought I was the only one this happened to. It never fails...I've come to expect it now.

Right now, I'm hovering over 7 tiny little Break O Day seedlings from '94 seeds that Carolyn sent me...all are coming up with stuck seed husks and are taking their sweet time in shedding them. I'd be much more at ease if I had 30 of the little fellows.

By the way, I've yet to get a mature Virginia Sweets plant...the Tomato Gods don't want me growing this one. I've tried 3 different seasons with 2 different seed sources...I either get no germination, or various unmentionable disasters befall the seedlings.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2006   #6
jermen
Tomatovillian™

Sod's law...
ain't it the truth?!...and it seems that if you so much as LOOK at your special one ...it starts to wilt, or turn a little yellow.

and what's the law about having one extra plant, and nobody knows where it came from...or what to name it. those mystery plants can really keep you hanging on as well. i try to be very careful about labeling varieties. how does this happen?

i'm hoping my mystery plant is a black cherry.

jeri
jermen is offline   Reply With Quote