Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 18, 2014   #1
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Default Sandhill catalog is finally here!

And there are some very nice surprises in the tomato section!

I suggest getting A C Red, Green Giant, and Daniels if you have a chance, they are excellent all around slicers.

Last edited by Fusion_power; January 18, 2014 at 05:19 PM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it's here and was also posted today in the seed and plant source Forum here at Tville.

I took a quick look at the first few pages of the tomato section, then decided if I was going to watch tennis tonight I had to do some stuff related to my seed offer.

Carolyn
Old January 18, 2014   #3
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

For those of you who are bean fanciers, Sandhill has Fortex Cross pole beans with a limited amount of seed. This is a result of 3 separate bee made crosses in my garden between Fortex and various purple pod varieties. I collected the seed of the crosses and grew them out in bulk this past season getting an excellent crop. If you would like to develop a bean adapted to your garden and your soil and your climate, give these seed a trial. They are highly divergent with some seed that germinate outstandingly well in cold soil, some plants that have very good heat tolerance (which Fortex is missing!), and varying bean shapes. You can select a green bean, a purple bean, a long bean, a flat bean, a sweet bean, or a beany bean. Have fun with these, they have huge potential for developing beans that are better than fortex, and you can eat what you don't save for seed!
Old January 18, 2014   #4
amaliepiers
Tomatovillian™

Hi,
Sorry but I can't see it ( under seed sources) - am I doing something wrong? I have been checking their website but it says their seed availabilities have not been updated for 2014 as yet...
Thanks in advance,
Ali
amaliepiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2014   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaliepiers View Post
Hi,
Sorry but I can't see it ( under seed sources) - am I doing something wrong? I have been checking their website but it says their seed availabilities have not been updated for 2014 as yet...
Thanks in advance,
Ali
Click on Seed and Plant Sources, then scroll down past all the stickys and right now the Sandhill thread about the catalog is the first non-sticky.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30801

And yes I know the website says not updated for 2014, probably b/c Linda, Glenn's wife, has been so busy working on the catalog.

Carolyn
Old January 19, 2014   #6
amaliepiers
Tomatovillian™

Hi again,
Yes, that's the thread I was looking at - but I can't see their list anywhere - which is what I took you to mean when you said it was posted on the sources forum. Maybe everyone is talking about having received their copy in the mail and I was getting too eager��
Thanks anyway,
Ps I got your book and enjoyed it very much. I have spent happy hours poring over choices for this year. Having got to a short list I'm now looking for the supplier who can fulfill as many as possible- another happy task!
amaliepiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2014   #7
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

It now says undated January,17 2014
http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/...d_catalog.html
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2014   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

The online listing for tomatoes is still the 2013 listing.

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/tomato.html
Old January 19, 2014   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And if you look at the Home page from the link above it says that none of the seeds, meaning all seeds, have been updated for 2014.

Glenn and Linda continue to publish a catalog, and for that I'm delighted. Part of the reason, which may be hard for several of you to accept, but not everyone has a computer, and several I know don't WANT to deal with a computer.

A few years ago SSE sent out a questionnaire, I don't remember all of the questions, but I do remember that many SSE members do not have computers either, which is why they always get the paper version of the annual Yearbook instead of trying to deal with the online Yearbook, for members only.

As for me, I like catalogs from the places I want them from b'c I'll be darned if I'll sit here at the computer trying to find something at a website when I could be sitting in my recliner chair, my snacks to my right on the floor, the drink of my choice at hand, the music I like playing softly, and watching, from time to time the birds at the feeders and also the snowflakes gently wafting down.

Life is good.

Carolyn
Old January 19, 2014   #10
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I've ordered from Sandhill in the past and will in the future. I like their choices and the quality, quantity and price, but the late January update with about a 3 week turn around via mail, plus actually finding my check book because I think I only write about three checks a year means that there have been years I haven't ordered from them because of the small window of time that exists between the time I want my seed and when I find out what seed they have.

Before the internet and I was younger I'd sit on the bed with 20 catalogs spread around me going back and forth from one to another. Today I'm no longer flexible enough to do that an having to take my glasses on and off to read makes that a very hard way to go.

On the internet when I'm seriously looking catalogs I'll have 3 or 4 browser windows open with 10 or more tabs each. I can change the type size to suit my self and can set comfortable in front of my computer for hours on end.

I think any company that is only going mail or only internet is missing customers.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2014   #11
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I got mine today. It seems earlier than some years. I feel good supporting them. They have a good selection of heirloom tomatoes and their prices are reasonable.
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2014   #12
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
For those of you who are bean fanciers, Sandhill has Fortex Cross pole beans with a limited amount of seed. This is a result of 3 separate bee made crosses in my garden between Fortex and various purple pod varieties. I collected the seed of the crosses and grew them out in bulk this past season getting an excellent crop. If you would like to develop a bean adapted to your garden and your soil and your climate, give these seed a trial. They are highly divergent with some seed that germinate outstandingly well in cold soil, some plants that have very good heat tolerance (which Fortex is missing!), and varying bean shapes. You can select a green bean, a purple bean, a long bean, a flat bean, a sweet bean, or a beany bean. Have fun with these, they have huge potential for developing beans that are better than fortex, and you can eat what you don't save for seed!
Dar,

Do you have an estimate of seeds/ounce for the Fortex Cross? I'd like to trial ~100 plants. Would 2 packs (~1 oz ea) sound about right?

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2014   #13
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Two packs should get you about 100 seed. I'm hoping people will try them as selection material to develop high quality beans with better adaptability than Fortex. The level of genetic diversity in these beans is very high so you will have plenty of opportunity to pick and choose for your climate and taste preference.

As a side note, I have some beans from an Emirite X Purple bean cross that need to be looked at this year. I love the sweetness of Emirite though it is not as bean flavored as I would like.
Old January 23, 2014   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I keep reading about all the chickens and assorted fowl they sell - impressive collection there as well.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2014   #15
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I asked Glenn for a special breeding of chickens this spring. Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster crossed to Manx Rumpie single comb hens. Hopefully I will get 20 to 30 chicks to work with. I want to develop a silver laced pattern chicken that lays blue eggs. The genetics are complex and will take about 10 years to stabilize.