Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 22, 2017   #2731
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

That's strange; they are showing up fine for me.

In both cases, there are big difference between the healthy plants and the ones with problems. I was thinking that Marsha would be able to identify the problem.

JAX - I have Parris Island Romaine growing now and just sowed Super Jericho - a Romaine lettuce from Israel that is suppose to do great in the heat. I can generally grow lettuce 9 months of the year. Plants are kept in the shade with filtered light now.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #2732
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Let me try again-

CP next to Striped German:

German Queen next to NBD:

Hopefully they showed up this time.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #2733
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
Let me try again-

CP next to Striped German:

German Queen next to NBD:

Hopefully they showed up this time.
I still can't see them. I will pm you my email addy and look at them that way.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #2734
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

no pix
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #2735
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

That is really weird because I can see the pictures in the original and follow up post.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #2736
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I can even see them with Marsha quoting them.

Marsha - please post what the problem is so we all can learn.
Old April 23, 2017   #2737
Southfl
Tomatovillian™

Default Pics

http://imgur.com/0tdI8pr
http://imgur.com/ec0Iwd1Try this for the missing pics

Last edited by Southfl; April 23, 2017 at 06:18 PM.
Southfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #2738
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

So I took a look at the email photos. I don't think they have a virus. There is a condition, I forget what it is called, poorly understood, that causes this in young plants, and only some even though treated like all the rest. I have had this happen to some every year. If I wait long enough, they almost always grow out of it. I wouldn't worry about them passing this ailment to others, it isn't something contagious. I personally wouldn't worry about them too much.
It's also been hot and dry lately and they might have bigger stoma than other varieties, letting out more water to result in leaf curl. They don't look that bad to me, but I do see what you are talking about.

I just looked again, they are in black pots in our heat, and closer to the edge than their mate in the container. The heat may be too high for that plant's young roots.

I wonder if I couldn't see the photos because I use Samsung products?
Old April 24, 2017   #2739
Southfl
Tomatovillian™

My biggest tomato so far. 1.34bs Pink wonder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170424_103044.jpg (281.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 20170424_103002.jpg (228.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 20170424_103036.jpg (247.0 KB, 70 views)
Southfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #2740
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

very nice!
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #2741
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Barb

Crnkovic Yugoslavian is exquisite, bright and sweet with whang. I do have seeds and be glad to share, PM me your address. This will be my main tomato this year and will plant 4 or 5 in a garden of 20 plants.

Cosmonaut Volkov's plant structure is more like Big Beef or Better Boy, thicker stalks and heavier foliage. Not a deal breaker, just thirstier and more pruning. A huge producer and good full bodied red tomato taste, it's just not a standout for me and won't be returning.

I had good clusters forming on all plants early, then when we hit +88F for 3 weeks they really slowed down, some stopped. As it cooled back down, they started up again, but none were forming clusters and setting fruit as well as before. Some diminishment would seem certain for the fact we're getting less sun late-season to push growth, which could be less a factor for AKMark with all those hours of daylight. I can feel what you're saying about the plants possibly being helped by more nutrient at this stage, and I think you're absolutely right if it's not hi-temp related.
This was the plant I choose for Ginny's experiment - growing multiple plants (6) with one main stem in an EB vs single plantings. I modified slightly as follows:

1. Went with Root Pouch vs Earthbox - I confess - I'm a horrible pruner; I let plants get too out of hand and then scramble with high winds. Going with the Root Pouch, I was able to use my new HUGE cage with 16" feet so no falling over.

2. Went with 4 plants vs 6; I'm glad I didn't push it anymore as I felt like I was always trimming.

3. My control plants were:

1 in a 15 Gallon Rootpouch by itself.
1 in an EB paired with Big Beef - I have two of these combinations so repeating
1 in an EB paired with Big Beef
1 in an EB paired with Matsu-Express

Note: I had another one in a 15 G rootpouch too, but I pulled it a month ago even though it was loaded. Condition was top growth leaves on one side looked burnt; thought it was the brutal wind we had for 48 hours straight, then a large tomato had spots (not BER spots)

The following day more tomatoes including smaller ones had spots.

So I pulled the plant. Nothing was weird with the roots and the stem / branches were nice and green. I even used the same mix and planted peppers in it; they are thriving.

----

Thank you RickyShaw for the recommendation. A really good choice; plants definitely conserves water.

Biggest producer - the single Root Pouch.
Slowest producer - the 4 plants in a single Root Pouch

I've been picking lots of Crnkovic Yugoslavian tomatoes lately - probably 20 in the last 2 days. I'm surprised at the size of the tomatoes; way larger than I expected.

What really matters though is the taste which is awesome.

Thank you Ricky for the seeds.
Thank you Ginny for asking me to do the experiment ; mainly for finding such an awesome tomato.

One other point: The plants in both Root Pouches are still flowering (hopefully setting fruit too - night time lows getting marginal). I think the EB one shared with the Matsu Express may be still flowering but no flowers on the other 2 EBs. By the time they could flower again, it may be too hot to produce.

This tomato does well in Florida; I would like to see how it does growing in the long fall/winter/spring season.

Last edited by Barb_FL; April 24, 2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old April 25, 2017   #2742
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Great writeup on your experiment Barb. I hope you did the March for Science,(I did) because you employ a hypothesis and use controls, you are our own very good back yard scientist. I always learn so much from your experiments too. Thank you for publishing your results in such detail.
Old April 25, 2017   #2743
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Great writeup on your experiment Barb. I hope you did the March for Science,(I did) because you employ a hypothesis and use controls, you are our own very good back yard scientist. I always learn so much from your experiments too. Thank you for publishing your results in such detail.
Ditto!
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #2744
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb, thank you so much for testing that. You are amazing, so detailed and thorough. I wondered and now I know thanks to you.... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #2745
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone.

This AM when I went outside it was 63 degrees. It was heaven; tonight is suppose to be the same. Low humidity too. All day it had that coolness to the air; Hottest part of day was < 75.

Anyone else looks at your tomato flowers and think which one will be the last to set a fruit? I do this all the time; not on the cherries of course.