Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2017   #916
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Then Texas is coming to the Delmarva Peninsula.
We are supposed to hit 100 index today through Thursday. UGH
I'm going with a Texas/Florida tomato production schedule next year. These heat index days ruin too many months of work to try to coax a crop through July and August.
Must be all of the hot air coming from the west and north west.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #917
bower
Tomatovillian™

I feel your pain PH, and I have the same problem in my greenhouse. Late cold spring and now hot and sunny weather pretty consistently, I am glad to see clouds! Luckily the wind has been just cooling enough and so far I am getting more fruit setting than blossoms dropped this time around. But I know what it's like, to see whole clusters wiped out by the heat. And cluster after cluster. It sucks mightily!!!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #918
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Sorry you all are having problems with heat that you're not used to.

Here in my neck-of-the-woods in Texas, the weather has basically been spot-on. Daily highs around 96 with the heat index around 102 which is average here. This is my 52nd summer here and an "Average" summer is really kind of odd.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #919
bower
Tomatovillian™

The wierd thing is Salt that I am used to it. The greenhouse is like Texas once summer gets going. Why I like to plant early and get em set in the coooold.
I would never have understood these issues if I hadn't joined the forum and read what people were dealing with in a totally different environment!!
Old July 11, 2017   #920
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

bower, i gotta say i feel for you and the other end of the spectrum in TX and stormy MO
it is tough enough when tyou have normal issues but what you all go through......... that being said, on vac in torch lake michigan, i see my indy zip 46112 has flooding and worth already said the plants from my one plot were drowned............. of well, that's why i have over 100 plants and gonna eat 'em all myself.........
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #921
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
The wierd thing is Salt that I am used to it. The greenhouse is like Texas once summer gets going. Why I like to plant early and get em set in the coooold.
I would never have understood these issues if I hadn't joined the forum and read what people were dealing with in a totally different environment!!
There was a business here years ago that sold plants out of impressive looking large greenhouses. Greenhouses were something new to me and I was at the age where we learn by example. Mid 20s.

I enjoyed visiting this business a lot, and in March and April - the greenhouses had beautiful plants in them. Then in May, I started thinking the greenhouses were too hot and humid inside, but the plants still looked basically okay.

In June, I had to toss everything I learned by observation about those greenhouses. They only had doors to the east and west in them. They were using typical household fans in the greenhouses and it was so hot and humid inside - you could hardly breathe. Our predominant winds are from the south and south west. South winds are off the gulf and are humid. Southwest winds are more from what you would think of as west Texas desert...low humidity and hot winds. There were no openings in the greenhouses to let in the south winds and no north openings for the air to flow out of.

That business was one that cost a lot of money to build, but it failed. The people who bought the property demolished the greenhouses, and years later, doctors offices were built.

It was a lesson for me. I learned to pay attention to the weather even more than I had before. And to use it to your advantage - not to your detriment.
Old July 12, 2017   #922
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's 82 degrees with 75% humidity out there right now. We have early morning showers today and tomorrow as well. I watered anyway because I won't be home to gauge whether I should get out there and water if the rain that comes down is only minimal. My containers will be happier with me. No heat index warnings as of yet this morning.

Edit: Well spoke too soon. Just checked my email and our heat index warning has in fact been delivered.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; July 12, 2017 at 08:19 AM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #923
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
bower, i gotta say i feel for you and the other end of the spectrum in TX and stormy MO
it is tough enough when tyou have normal issues but what you all go through......... that being said, on vac in torch lake michigan, i see my indy zip 46112 has flooding and worth already said the plants from my one plot were drowned............. of well, that's why i have over 100 plants and gonna eat 'em all myself.........
Fingers crossed you come home to find lots of survivors. First too dry, then too wet - ah, tomatoes, I hope they suck it up!!!
Old July 12, 2017   #924
bower
Tomatovillian™

@salt, yes I think the lessons I learned the best are the mistakes I was forced to live with. Some things you can't learn without giving them time. By the time we're ready to start from scratch with all that hindsight, well, we may be too old to start afresh.
Life is strange....
Old July 12, 2017   #925
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

70F with fog.
If the sun breaks through it's gonna go off this afternoon.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #926
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

it finally started warming up here once july rolled around. high 70s for a few days, then we got an east wind blowing yesterday. i hate east winds. they never bring anything good. temps for the next couple days are only in the 50s. rain and fog. chilly enough to have to wear a light windbreaker outside. hard to believe temps in some part of the country are double what they are here.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #927
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
@salt, yes I think the lessons I learned the best are the mistakes I was forced to live with. Some things you can't learn without giving them time. By the time we're ready to start from scratch with all that hindsight, well, we may be too old to start afresh.
Life is strange....
Yes, life is strange, but we do learn from it every day.

And keeping with the weather theme part - it was hot today - surprise
Old July 12, 2017   #928
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

i am worried also about the plants around my deck i put in hidden oil change containers for the $store - hope the roots don't drowned in 5 days???? i gotta get back, i have someone to water plants - not dewater!!

The raised beds I hope do ok, the soil I hope has drained

These that worth i believe correctly said got "dunked" I won't know if they drained well enough or not - i did dig a trench out the "back 40" to stop the "dunking" but we had near record storms and rainfall of over 4" 2 days agp

Excuse the !@@$%@$^ upside down photo's but I am trying to figure out how and where to catch fish in zip 49615 1 walleye and all the kids and grandkids want to do is tube and eat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T.jpg (491.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DECK JUNE 23 17.jpg (501.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg BED JUNE 23 17.jpg (508.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Transplaant.jpg (544.2 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by tryno12; July 13, 2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old July 12, 2017   #929
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Just over 2" of rain this afternoon with lots of lightning and thunder. It was my weekly in-office day and the storms rolled in right around the time I was planning to head home.

After multiple alerts to my phone (including a flash flood warning from the emergency alert system) I decided to wait it out. It was a long day in a steamy, hot building followed by a tense drive home on partially flooded roads through a few lingering and blinding down pours, and I arrived too late to take a stroll through the garden and visit with my leafy kids.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #930
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

darn it, i know the feeling being here in upper michigan, having near record rain at home in Indianapolis......... miss my daily/hourly(i'm retired) - i can watch my tom's grow thoughout the day
now for the week just worry