Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 14, 2017   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Marijuana

Is anybody growing a few plants of marijuana legally? Growing is legal for a few plants in Canada for private medical use. Also there are some jurisdictions in the USA where a few plants are legal for recreational use.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2017   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I don't know the answer to your question, Durgan, but I doubt it is legal in the home garden in the US. You can use it with a doctors note in a very limited number of states. Mothers of severely ill children keep petitioning the legislature of the state I live in to obtain the oil for their children but it was of no avail. Their children suffer without it, here is no alternative treatment for them. So cruel.

Some sort of ditch weed grows wild in my area but I heard it has nothing of any value to someone looking for real marijuana. It is related to hemp. I've never seen it flower but its supposed to be attractive.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2017   #3
BettaPonic
Tomatovillian™

Growing is usually more restricted then use (not a druggy just apply the knowledge to Tomatoes).
Old January 27, 2017   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This is the first time I've seen this thread. I will reply in an honest open-minded way.

If it were legal to grow in Texas, I would think about growing it. I live with an extremely painful nerve disease, and maybe it could help? The fact that it is not legal to grow here is why I won't grow it now. My reasoning about marijuana has always been about the fact that it is illegal here in Texas. I don't want my wife, children, and grandchildren visiting me in prison. It doesn't matter how much pain it might relieve - it's just not worth it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I moved from WA last Sep. Growing few plants in your home garden is legal both in WA and OR. For commercial growing you have to have license . I am not into smoking it but I know there are stores that marijuana, to adults,as they sell tobacco products. Smoking and possession of it in small quantity is legal in those states. This is not just for medicinal but also for recreational purposes.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #6
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I understand that if a MD prescribes you a marijuana treatment in New Mexico you are allowed to grow 16 plants (4 mature, 12 immature) for medicinal purposes. If you know how to grow weed, that many plants would keep a patient way high around the clock. This info is not confirmed by me.

http://norml.org/legal/item/new-mexi...ical-marijuana
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #7
berryman
Tomatovillian™

to add to Gardeneers post, both Colorado and Nevada allow up to 12 plants per resident. You can grow em and smoke em, or whatever, but I live in the utterly straight state of Utah, so no go.
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #8
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Yes, legality in the US is very confusing now as just about every state has different laws, and they are changing with every election. For instance, 3 of 4 referendi for some form of legalization passed in Nov. (Strangely, hyper-liberal Massachusetts Arizona did not pass theirs.) I don't think all of those changes have taken effect yet.

However, the Federal statutes have not changed. The Feds apparently have chosen not to press the issue for fear of a general revolt, which appears more and more likely as time goes. The thing is, the Feds were not permitted to make simple possession illegal as that power is reserved to the states (re: Amendment 10). But the power to tax is explicitly granted to the Gubbmint, so any exchange is taxed. This was a classic Catch-22 since any attempt to pay the Federal tax is an admission of possession or exchange, which - until recently - was a crime under all state law.

So while the Federal tax laws still apply, it is arguable that they don't apply to growing the evil weed if simple possession is legal in your state: no taxable exchange took place, therefore no Federal offense.

I've long held that Texas will legalize weed in my lifetime. I wonder how many decades I've got left?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

Last edited by dmforcier; January 28, 2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Wrong state
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #9
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
Is anybody growing a few plants of marijuana legally? Growing is legal for a few plants in Canada for private medical use. Also there are some jurisdictions in the USA where a few plants are legal for recreational use.
From a December 2016 Global News report, "...If the marijuana commission's report becomes law, Canadians will be allowed to grow up to four plants per adult..." Myself, I'll stick with tomatoes.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #10
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'm not really interested in growing it, but I came across some info about obtaining 'good' seeds and they were $70 for 5 seeds! Sounds like Marianna's Peace all over again!

Linda
Labradors2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

We live in a very modern world with draconian antiquated sometimes even radical ideologies.
It doesn't matter what side of the fence you are on they plague me every day of my life.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Also if you look at how our country was founded and the true intent of the law.
Each state was and should be its own individual country in many ways.
If that state chose to become part of the union it chose to adopt the US constitution and the bill of rights.
And at one time the option to bail out.
That was contested in the time of Andrew Jackson with the south around 30 years before the civil war.
Some states were annexed like Utah.
Every time we turn around the federal government breaks those laws in one way or another.
And the states do the same.
At one time you could go from one state to the next without fear of breaking these laws.
This is getting worse and worse.
Look at weed you leave a harmless joint or gun in your car perfectly legal to all the powers that be.
Just dont go across the border.
In many ways state lines are becoming more and more like borders because that is exactly what they are.

Many times if a state doesn't adopt certain laws like helmet speed limits or seat belts the feds will threaten to cut off federal funding.
This federal money by the way that was collected from the individuals of each state.
By way of income taxes DOT taxes on tires or fuel.

Now lets say the Feds collect so and so amount of money from states that allow selling of weed.
Should all of the money go back to those states and federal projects.
Or should states that dont make it legal collect these benefits too.
Why should a rich state like Texas bare the burden of a poor state that does nothing to help fill the federal coffers but only pulls from it?

Now lets look at prisons many of which are filled with folks on drug related charges.
Like it or not prisons are a money making machine sucking that money from the tax payer.
Many if not most of these prisoners are people from poor areas and uneducated.
Poverty ignorance and want are the rules of the game.
If poverty ignorance and want are making people rich by way of prisons then why would you want to change one dam thing.
If you look at it from my perspective these poor areas are in a way money makers for the rich.
They always have been and always will.
This BS that is fed to us about cleaning them up and education that never seems to happen is just window dressing.

The only time it ((looks)) like something good is happening is when they go in and re gentrify an area for the well off to move into.
The poverty pocket and crime just moves to another area they can afford.
They may call it cleaning up I call it sweeping under the rug or out the door.

So in short.
A group of people will sit down and decide what can make more money.
Is it more prisons funded by the tax payer or legalizing weed and collecting taxes.
It is your poverty pocket that will make that decision not the voter.
That my fine feathered friends is why it will be a long time coming before Texas ever makes pot legal.
They only use the moral and health issues as levers to sway the voters.
Remember every one of these prisons are built by and sometimes ran by contractors.
For the most part the same contractors over and over.
Contractors that are in bed with the elected.

Worth
Old January 28, 2017   #13
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Unless you're looking for a new hobby or your mom won't let you grow it in the basement because you've already been down there 30 years and she wants you gone, it's cheaper and better weed for sale at the dispensaries.

Is what I hear.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Unless you're looking for a new hobby or your mom won't let you grow it in the basement because you've already been down there 30 years and she wants you gone, it's cheaper and better weed for sale at the dispensaries.

Is what I hear.

Without taking a bath and empty bags of Cheetos laying around.
Worth
Old January 28, 2017   #15
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

About 7 years ago I had a small lump in my neck, I went to my doc and they did a needle biopsy and fluid came out of it. The doc said I just dodged a bullet it was a cleft cyst. I started having dreams about the lump, went back to doc and had him remove it... it came back as squamous cell cancer (secondary)... primary source was my tonsils, they had to be removed. Then came the radiation and chemo... 38 radiations and 9 chemo treatments. When I started I weighed 207, when they got done I weighed 147. I couldn't eat, nausea was bad, I could only get down 2 Boosts or Ensures a day, I was supposed to drink at least 8. Then a friend gave me a bag of weed, I smoked it. My nausea went away, I got hungry again... it saved my life!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote