Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 6, 2017   #16
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Treat it as a "Semi-Determinate". I've grown it about every other year for a while now. It will definitely produce the fruit. The taste is what I would call "better than the super market cardboard", but is not anything to rave about. I buy mature plants early in the growing season to get homegrown as early as possible.

Most of the time, the plant I purchase is about 30 inches tall with lots of blooms and some set fruit. I grow them in 18 gallon containers up here around the house. Once, I even bought some seed from a commercial vendor. Remember, I said "ONCE". Not a memorable tomato, but it still beats Walmart's product 3031.

If you've not grown it, then find a plant and try it. Your results may be different from all of us.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #17
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Treat it as a "Semi-Determinate". I've grown it about every other year for a while now. It will definitely produce the fruit. The taste is what I would call "better than the super market cardboard", but is not anything to rave about. I buy mature plants early in the growing season to get homegrown as early as possible.

Most of the time, the plant I purchase is about 30 inches tall with lots of blooms and some set fruit. I grow them in 18 gallon containers up here around the house. Once, I even bought some seed from a commercial vendor. Remember, I said "ONCE". Not a memorable tomato, but it still beats Walmart's product 3031.

If you've not grown it, then find a plant and try it. Your results may be different from all of us.
Well said, I agree completely, with the exception that I have never had a Celebrity tomato that wasn't WAY better than all but the most expensive Heirloom grocery store tomatoes.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #18
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

This is from a 2014 Nola.com article on Creole Tomatoes...

"In the 1980s and 1990s, the "Celebrity" cultivar was the one most commonly used by Creole tomato growers, but they also grew others. When someone in New Orleans purchased a Creole tomato back then, it was most likely a "Celebrity."

When the farmers in St. Bernard and Plaquemines called their tomatoes Creole, it meant they were grown in the rich alluvial soil of the area and vine ripened because they did not have to be transported long distances to market. This gave them a rich flavor. It did not designate a particular cultivar.

The public in general has not understood this. In many minds, the Creole tomato is a particular variety with a wonderful flavor. The name Creole has become mythic for "that old-fashioned wonderful tomato flavor I remember from the old days." And in actuality, there never really was one specific variety used by the Creole tomato growers.

These days, the term Creole is used to market tomatoes from a much larger geographical area. I was roundly chastised by a grower in St. Tammany when I mentioned on my radio program that Creole tomatoes were historically grown in St. Bernard and Plaquemines. He also called his tomatoes Creole (although he did not grow that particular cultivar) because it made people want to buy them.

I suppose someone growing tomatoes in Shreveport could call them Creoles as well. As far as I know, the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry has not placed any state regulations on how the name is used.

So there you have it. You can find tomato transplants labeled as the 'Creole' cultivar at local nurseries. Feel free to plant them as thousands of Louisiana gardeners do. But it never was the cultivar primarily used by Creole tomato farmers in the "old days."
When farmers called their tomatoes Creole, it meant they were grown in the rich alluvial soil of the area and vine ripened.

"Celebrity" is still around. It's one of my favorite cultivars and wins blind taste tests at LSU AgCenter home garden tomato trials."
Old March 6, 2017   #19
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Thank you everybody for your feedbacks.
Reviews are MIXED at best. If it is a good producer w/ average taste I will take it. I don't slice and eat most of my tomatoes but use them in cooked form (sauce, on the grill, canned, soup ..) I can always improve taste by salt, herbs and spices, very much like in Italian cooking.
Disease resistance in the deep south is a big plus for me.
In conclusion, I will buy and plant one to see for myself.
BTW: I am also growing Creole, another southern favorite.
I am growing 32 varieties , mostly popular OP/Heirlooms. So I can afford to take a chance on the 33rd variety, CELEBRITY.
THANKS AGAIN.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #20
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Thank you everybody for your feedbacks.
Reviews are MIXED at best. If it is a good producer w/ average taste I will take it. I don't slice and eat most of my tomatoes but use them in cooked form (sauce, on the grill, canned, soup ..) I can always improve taste by salt, herbs and spices, very much like in Italian cooking.
Disease resistance in the deep south is a big plus for me.
In conclusion, I will buy and plant one to see for myself.
BTW: I am also growing Creole, another southern favorite.
I am growing 32 varieties , mostly popular OP/Heirlooms. So I can afford to take a chance on the 33rd variety, CELEBRITY.
THANKS AGAIN.
You had to grow it after all that typing we did.

Below is that article. It discusses the Creole cultivar developed at LSU. Quite a few seed companies sell it, but a few of us on here and elsewhere have doubted it is consistent with the original LSU variety. I have grown both the Bonnie's Celebrity and Creole in the past and don't remember thinking much of the Creole.

Hope they both produce well for you. Sounds like you have no problem making use of a productive plant.

http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index...e_tomatoe.html
Old March 6, 2017   #21
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

I grow Celebrity every year, it never disappoints, good flavor, uniform fruit and no problems, other than a few cherries the rest are all weird and wonderful heirlooms. Not a lot of plants, some are in tubs, small garden, have to keep room for all those beans .

Annette
aftermidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2017   #22
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Now that there is a new twist to Celebrity and Creole, I will grow them side by side. It should be entertaining.
But my understanding is that LSU bred and named a tomatoe and they gave it the name "CREOLE" .

Happy Gardening !
Old March 7, 2017   #23
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Another good article link below. From that article...

"In 1969, horticulturalists in LSU’s vegetable program developed a new tomato cultivar that was resistant to certain diseases and had characteristics favorable to the region’s conditions. In a move that resulted in “humongous confusion,” says Gill, the scientists gave this new variety the official name “Creole” despite the existing, informal use of the term.

Gill says that Creole cultivar never caught on among growers, who stuck with field-tested varieties or began planting others. LSU’s Creole was an indeterminate plant, meaning it would grow taller and require more staking than the bush-like determinate varieties that came to dominate the world of commercial growers. The Creole was a flash in the pan, and it wasn’t archived at LSU.

“The [Creole] cultivar has been lost along the way,” Gill says, which is why he puts little faith into the idea that tomatoes sold as Creoles are the LSU Creole. “But the name has such magic associated with it because people remember buying flavorful tomatoes from growers years ago that were called Creole.""

https://www.225batonrouge.com/food/w...o-please-stand
Old March 7, 2017   #24
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I have heard about it here and there. I get the impression that it used to be very popular... But I have not grown it myself and know very little about it.

Now, what got me interested is that I saw Bonnie is selling them at BBS. The plants looked real nice. I thought I might buy one just for the heck of it ( $3.78 plus tax !! not cheap) but then I decided to investigate a little more about it and here I am, starting this thread:

What do you know about it ?
Have you grown it ?
How do you review it in terms of taste, production, growth habit, disease issues, etc. ?

BTW: I searched for a thread on it , here at TV, but could not find one.

I have already have 32 varieties growing so one more is not going to hurt.
Thanks in advance .
I grow Celebrity every year, not because it is the best tomato, for that I plant several other varieties, but it's always a steady producer for me when some others fail.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2017   #25
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

tmp_11481-creole-tomato-entrance1653687059.jpg

Well, had some issues seeing the pic above after I posted it, but this is the entrance to the Creole Tomato Festival in the Big Easy.

Last edited by JohnJones; March 7, 2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old March 10, 2017   #26
cwavec
Tomatovillian™

Default Celebrity

I have grown it.

Well known, disease resistant and boring.

May serve well as a "safety" plant.
cwavec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2017   #27
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I grew it off and on for 20 years, some years it was pretty good tasting, other years sorta bland. On another note, it produced 90 counted tomatoes from one plant one year. It is semi determinate, fruit looks nice, but it is in my history books now.
Mountain Fresh blows it away, bigger fruit, same great yield, but MF is one tasty hybrid, and is a determinate too, semi for me up here.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2017   #28
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Mountain Fresh is out ahead of everything else I started. It is tolerating the cool weather very well.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2017   #29
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I,m gonna get one Celebrity. I have already my own 32 varieties started from seed.

About a week ago WM had some very nice ones ( @$3.57). I was there again 2 days ago. They were toasted by the frost. I will check again in about a week to see if they get fresh ones.

About taste : I like juicy tomato with old fashion tangy taste. They are also good for canning. You don't have to acidify the sauce too much. I think part of the acid in tomato is vitamin C. That is good for you.

Happy Gardening !
Old March 11, 2017   #30
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Mountain Fresh is out ahead of everything else I started. It is tolerating the cool weather very well.
Are there many differences between Mountain Fresh and Mountain Merit?
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote