Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 25, 2006   #16
clay199
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, was the 1995 written in your handwriting in your 'out of body experience'?
clay199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2006   #17
WildLife
Tomatovillian™

Nutter Update,
Well I just had a sprout that kills all info prev
I was lucky enough to get some of the mystery
yellows on the teacher thread.
on 3/10 I soaked 4 in water and MG, they floated
and I coaxed them down, sowed and am still waiting.
On Monday 3/20 I took 4 more and placed in plain
warm water, they floated, I just left them didn't try to
make them sink. 2 days later they were at the bottom of the cup. I sowed them. Today at 4:00pm 1 has
sprouted! Thats 3 days. That matches my best germ rate
using seeds that readily sank! So...... I am full of it
and seeds sprout when they are gunna and thats
all I know!!!
Wild "duhh" Life
WildLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2006   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Carolyn, was the 1995 written in your handwriting in your 'out of body experience'?

Well it looked that way to me, but I was hovering horizontally about 6 ft above the seed pack so only Jerry would know for sure.
Old March 26, 2006   #19
melody
Tomatovillian™

Well, here's my update...seeds were sowed 2 weeks ago today.

18 of Landreth ('97) and 18 of Break O Day ('94) 2 floaters per batch.

As of this morning I have 19 Landreth up...(my math is lousy, but I counted 3 times)

As of this morning I have 15 Break O Day up. Two of them are just breaking ground. The stuck seed husks are slowly coming off...got a few crooked cotyledons from my anxious meddeling.

I'm thrilled. Before this, my personal best was 8 year old seeds, which I know isn't much of an accomplishment, as 8 year old seeds should germinate. But these little guys are healthy, green and growing great...even seeing some true leaves starting on the first ones to pop.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2006   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'm just as thrilled as you are Mel.

And I do wish folks would realize that most, but not all, older seeds are usually quite viable as long as you treat them as you did, that is with soaking and a bit of extra nitrate ion and good, reliable mix used for germination.

Pretty please could I have a few fresh seeds back for both of them if that's possible?

I do think more folks should be growing both of them. Both are older commercial OP's with high yield and great taste. I'll stack them up against any number of med red sized hybrids as well as many other OP's of the same type.

Want some 1990 seed to play with next year?

My personal best is waking up 22 yo seed and the plants were just fine.
Old March 26, 2006   #21
melody
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I'm planning on growing these to get plenty of seeds...hope to send you enough that you can spread them around the tomato world a bit next year if you want.

I appreciate the seeds, and the best way I can thank you is to send you back fresh stock.

I was a bit OCD about preparing the pots and mix...use a brand new bag of seed starter, bleached new containers and tray...didn't want a bit of residual mold, fungus or whatever that might have hitch hiked in on anything. Overkill, I know....but I wanted no issues.

I'd love some 1990 seeds next year....I've got time to start seeds this year still, but the logistics of properly taking care of the mature plants makes me step back and say I've got enough on my plate this season.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote