Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Days Ago   #1066
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™
 
JosephineRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: California
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
My own KARMA collection. Leaf roll in protest of unprotected night time temp consistently below 10 for 2 weeks but blooming and setting regardless. Supposed to warm up nicely next week so they should be able to stretch out and take off running.
KarenO
I didn't realize leaf roll can come from overnight temps below 50f. Thanks for that info! Some of my other plants are showing roll on the lower leaves but look green and healthy otherwise. My two Karmas are OK. I am pruning the two plants slightly differently as an experiment, one to a single stem and the other to a double.




Last edited by JosephineRose; 6 Days Ago at 01:25 PM.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #1067
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™
 
Koala Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 304
Default

I noticed something odd on my uppermost truss with open flowers - two of the flowers have unusually large stamen (larger than any of the other flowers on this plant). It is only on these two flowers though... and the other two open flowers on that truss are showing the normal, tight stamen that I've been seeing both on my plant and in everyone's photos.


Could this be two separate fused blossoms? There do appear to be double the amount of petals and sepals in each of those flowers.

Or is this something else?







The first two photos show the normal flower on the outside and the 'grande' flowers on the inside.

The last photo is showing that my KARMA Pink has reached the top on my 54" cage... another foot or so and it'll reach the top of the bamboo stake. I think I'll have to top at that point (even though I don't want to do that).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (338.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (310.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (277.1 KB, 97 views)
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #1068
KarenO
Tomatovillian™
 
KarenO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 4,440
Default

Yes, those are faciated blooms. Not very common on cherries but it happens on the KARMAs sometimes. Don’t save seed from those, higher chance of an accidental cross personally I would remove them, you’ll just get some lumpy fused small fruit
How’s the weather?
K
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #1069
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
I noticed something odd on my uppermost truss with open flowers - two of the flowers have unusually large stamen (larger than any of the other flowers on this plant). It is only on these two flowers though... and the other two open flowers on that truss are showing the normal, tight stamen that I've been seeing both on my plant and in everyone's photos.


Could this be two separate fused blossoms? There do appear to be double the amount of petals and sepals in each of those flowers.

Or is this something else?







The first two photos show the normal flower on the outside and the 'grande' flowers on the inside.

The last photo is showing that my KARMA Pink has reached the top on my 54" cage... another foot or so and it'll reach the top of the bamboo stake. I think I'll have to top at that point (even though I don't want to do that).
Wow Doug, those 2 flowers look like they're on steroids. Lol
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #1070
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™
 
Koala Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Yes, those are faciated blooms. Not very common on cherries but it happens on the KARMAs sometimes. Don’t save seed from those, higher chance of an accidental cross personally I would remove them, you’ll just get some lumpy fused small fruit

Thank you for confirming what I suspected (though had only every had that happen on larger tomatoes before). I wasn't planning on saving any seeds from this plant as I still have eight left.







Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
How’s the weather?
K

The past couple of weeks or so has been mid-70s to low-80s for a high and a low in the 60s. Pretty perfect tomato weather.



Having said that, we did get an unexpected cold snap about four days after I transplanted out in early May. It lasted three days and temps dropped into the upper-30s at night and upper-40s to low-50s during the day. That was two months ago though.



But that early cold spell did cause fused blossoms on all my dwarf plants... including one with six flowers fused into one megabloom on my New Big Dwarf (I sadly culled it).

Last edited by Koala Doug; 5 Days Ago at 10:27 AM.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #1071
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™
 
Koala Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 304
Default

Here are the three trusses that are currently showing fruit on my KARMA Pink plant:



Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (333.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (357.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (416.2 KB, 74 views)
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #1072
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,599
Default

Setting fruit very well Doug. Looks like about 2 weeks until you taste them.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #1073
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™
 
Koala Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Setting fruit very well Doug. Looks like about 2 weeks until you taste them.

Thank you!


I hope it's that early as I was initially expecting to see the first ripe fruit somewhere in the second week in July. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #1074
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™
 
jmsieglaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern WI
Posts: 2,438
Default

Plant is growing nicely and first fruits are taking on size!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F1C612B3-80F5-4427-ADAD-456F5A837A57.jpeg (214.5 KB, 59 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #1075
KarenO
Tomatovillian™
 
KarenO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 4,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
Thank you!


I hope it's that early as I was initially expecting to see the first ripe fruit somewhere in the second week in July. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
IM betting by the Fourth of July.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #1076
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 90
Default Karma Project

Here are a few pics of one of my Karma Tomatoes. They both are doing really well.
They both have many trusses of tomatoes and are still flowering well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1390.jpg (194.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1393.jpg (83.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1392.jpg (89.1 KB, 55 views)
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #1077
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Plant is growing nicely and first fruits are taking on size!
Looks typical, perfect round fruit set on every blossom. Very nice.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #1078
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedgreen51 View Post
Here are a few pics of one of my Karma Tomatoes. They both are doing really well.
They both have many trusses of tomatoes and are still flowering well.
Those are very large and productive already. Looking good.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #1079
Hensaplenty
Tomatovillian™
 
Hensaplenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 30
Default First Taste

Got my first taste of KARMApink this morning for breakfast. It was yummy!
It was my fifth variety to ripen just behind Oregon Spring, Rebel Alliance, Tiny Tim, and Black Cherry. Also ripening about the same time are Homestead, Speckled Roman & Mocha Splash. All these plants were started at the same time and transplanted outside around April 11. Got another one on the counter and two more will be picked today. The plant is growing crazy big. I move them all this weekend to their new home @265 miles away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KARMA3.JPG (47.3 KB, 40 views)
Hensaplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #1080
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensaplenty View Post
Got my first taste of KARMApink this morning for breakfast. It was yummy!
It was my fifth variety to ripen just behind Oregon Spring, Rebel Alliance, Tiny Tim, and Black Cherry. Also ripening about the same time are Homestead, Speckled Roman & Mocha Splash. All these plants were started at the same time and transplanted outside around April 11. Got another one on the counter and two more will be picked today. The plant is growing crazy big. I move them all this weekend to their new home @265 miles away.
So lovely to hear your taste assesment. Thank you for that and the photo. Sounds like you will be working hard this weekend, and it sounds like you will be moving just in time, before all your tomatoes start to go ripe at once.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★