Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 12, 2015   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Multiflora available

If there is an interest in this variety for research / breeding, I have approx 10 seeds available of Yellow Centiflor Hypertress, source unknown obtained from local seed library. Please post your request here, and I'll split the pack if needed.

Thought it more appropriate to post here as I don't have enough for a general seed offer this year and it might me missed by the intended audience

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2015   #2
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Definitely interested. Sending PM.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2015   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Did someone say multiflora? I'm interested for sure. PM sent.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2015   #4
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I am interested pm sent thanks
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2015   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Seeds are spoken for. Myself and one of the recipients will be doing a grow out for general distribution next year.
Old January 13, 2015   #6
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Cool, cant wait.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2015   #7
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Definitely of interest and willing to wait. Hopefully those doing the grow-out will be able to post some photos here too.
Old January 17, 2015   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Absolutely Darren. I'd love to know more about the taste but can't find any references.

- Lisa
Old January 17, 2015   #9
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I'd be curious to know the actual breeding history of these. I've found only cryptic mentions of it being maybe a three way with wild species. Bred by Al Kapular, I think. He appears to have a number that he calls "centiflor hypertress"

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old January 17, 2015   #10
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

I looked into this several years ago. I grew the red centiflor the last two years. The number of flowers is amazing with the fruit set not as high. I am trying to find pictures, but no luck so far. I got my seeds from caseys heirloom tomatoes of airdrie but I just checked the site and they were not selling them this year. I found this link http://alanbishop.★★★★★★★★★.com/thread/2244 which might be helpful. I made several crosses and am planting some f2's this year so we will see what happens.
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #11
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

not sure why the link didn't work but it is alanbishop.★★★★★★★★★.com/thread/2244
Old January 17, 2015   #12
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

It looks like the forum indecency filter is set to exclude "p r o b o a r d s" from polite conversation.
Old January 17, 2015   #13
maf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Alan Kapuler
over decades we have grown hundreds of Lycopersicon cultivars mostly esculentums, some pimpinellifoliums as well as several other species

then one day in the SSE Lycopersicon humboldtii was offered and since a new, to us, species in a common taxon is always interesting we requested and received some seed, from Rosemarie LaCherez, and grew up some plants with yellow-orange cherry sized fruits in clusters like grapes. Some clusters had 30 fruits.

my daughter Kusra who had learned to hand pollinate peas was interested in doing some crosses in tomatoes and picked out the Grape Tress Tomato as a pollen parent

she crossed it with several different cultivars: Stakeless, Skorospelka, Willamette

then one day we were sitting in the greenhouse where an 8' tall vine of Lycopersicon hirsutum had been living=surviving for several years and with its bright yellow flowers held in umbel-like clusters, we considered crossing it with L. humboldtii but since hirsutum had never given us fertile fruits, we used it as a pollen parent onto the Grape Tress Tomato...
and now several years later we have hypertress lines;Red Centiflor and Yellow Centiflor Tomatoes, both cherry tomatoes

both make tresses of flowers that extend on top of the foliage, have soft, long velvety hairs on the flower buds and have so far up to 150 flowers on an inflorescence

the most fruits on a tress is 89

i'm considering spraying some with GA-3 to reach more fruitful tresses

and in further consideration of the hypertress trait, which also appear in the hypertresses of pea tendrils, in the multiplication of the rows in corn cobs, the polypetalous trait in flowers, linking it to branching patterns, number of flowers per node, and maybe the hox genes in animals with the multiplication of ribs and for all of us the multiplication of certain DNA/RNA sequences, duplications and then sometimes reduplications, as has happened with the genetic material of fungi and other eukaryotes.

Read more: http://alanbishop.★★★★★★★★★.com/thre...#ixzz3P96WUIBs
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #14
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Thankyou, hope that helps
Old January 30, 2015   #15
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

So it's L. humboldtii x L. hirsutum. He's calling humboldtii "Grape Tress Tomato"? OK. That gave him his Red Centiflor Hypertress. Orange and Yellow Centiflor Hypertress are derived from a cross between Red Centiflor Hypertress and Sungold F1.

We'll see what they look like in 2015!

Thanks for the info maf.

Last edited by ChrisK; January 30, 2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: more info