Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old November 2, 2017   #16
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Do you have a picture with the zip ties?

The compactor bags are thick as well, but I spent $ on the clips too.

This year I partially filled some of the EB waiting for my plants to get bigger but put the real EB covers on them. The was no loaf; not even flat. It rained a lot and the EB covers kept all the rain out even with the rain pooling on top.

----
OTOH - I want to give a huge plug for the HUSKY CLEAR bags for solarizing the mix in the off season. This year, I dumped all but 4 of my EBs. We were out of town when the hurricane came through and even though the EB tipped over in the storm, the bags stayed intact. I still have 2 of the EB waiting to be reused. The hurricane/possible tornado ripped our complete solar panel system off the roof, but the $1 per bag held up just fine.
No pics, just make the bag big enough to hang over the edge almost all the way to the ground. Then zip tie the re-useable zip ties together so it will fit around the EB, then cinch it tight with the bag against the bottom edge of the EB.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017   #17
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
No pics, just make the bag big enough to hang over the edge almost all the way to the ground. Then zip tie the re-useable zip ties together so it will fit around the EB, then cinch it tight with the bag against the bottom edge of the EB.
I've tried clipping the bags to the EB, but as Barb said, $ for the clips, and they didn't hold up very well. Do the zip-ties seem to hold up OK through the winter? They are some type of nylon, so I would think they might be pretty durable.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017   #18
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Confession here - I use the zip ties but NEVER knew they were reusable. I just always clipped them. Now I feel stupid.

I use them for storing my square tomato cages - mine are never as flat as when I bought them.

I used them for attaching bamboo poles to the cages to make the cages much taller. My neighbor still has her 'big cage' intact from Sept '16 even through the 2 hurricanes.

I use them to close and keep the clear bags tight when solarizing. Solarizing takes place during the hottest, most humid part of the year.

GreatGardens - Larry - I can say that I have never had one deteriorate.

Rockporter - Thanks for the idea. I still have a few EB I need to get set up. I will try it this weekend and post a picture. Now I wish I had longer Zip Ties. Will make do with what I have.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They are not all reusable.
Did you know the Ty Rap is 59 years old this year?
They are made by Thomas & Betts and the best brand on the market.
I have used many thousands in my career.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; November 3, 2017 at 05:34 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2017   #20
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I've tried clipping the bags to the EB, but as Barb said, $ for the clips, and they didn't hold up very well. Do the zip-ties seem to hold up OK through the winter? They are some type of nylon, so I would think they might be pretty durable.

-GG
The zip ties are UV protected and I buy them from here, just make sure you get the UV releasable cable ties.

https://buycableties.com/collections/releasable

I can't find Raybo's thread on DIY Earthtainers, but I had a bunch of pictures on how I setup my EB's based on his cage design and using zip ties. Now, I did drill holes in the sides of my containers just under the lip of them to secure the cages with zip ties. Check it out there.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; November 4, 2017 at 03:43 AM.
Old November 4, 2017   #21
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Confession here - I use the zip ties but NEVER knew they were reusable. I just always clipped them. Now I feel stupid.

I use them for storing my square tomato cages - mine are never as flat as when I bought them.

I used them for attaching bamboo poles to the cages to make the cages much taller. My neighbor still has her 'big cage' intact from Sept '16 even through the 2 hurricanes.

I use them to close and keep the clear bags tight when solarizing. Solarizing takes place during the hottest, most humid part of the year.

GreatGardens - Larry - I can say that I have never had one deteriorate.

Rockporter - Thanks for the idea. I still have a few EB I need to get set up. I will try it this weekend and post a picture. Now I wish I had longer Zip Ties. Will make do with what I have.
I meant to say zip tie it just under the top edge, not around the bottom edge.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old November 4, 2017   #22
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Hey, I never knew that there were any that were reusable! Definitely good to know. The first thought that I have is that I would attach them on the sides (top edge) more-or-less permanently. Then use a 12" resealable one to join the two edges and hold down the plastic. Maybe about 6" from each end. Three spots down the length of the sides at the worst. That should also take care of the "short" cable issues.

-GG
Old November 4, 2017   #23
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Did it today; I found enough long zip ties around the house. Picture coming as soon as DH will take it.

I had no luck getting the zip ties under the EB lip, but once I gave up trying, it went well. The zip ties are about 3" down from the top.

My bag (thick compactor bag) is shorter than what you recommend.

Definitely has promise; Besides this EB, I still have 6 other empty EBs.
Old November 4, 2017   #24
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

You might have a problem with the zip tie coming off at the bottom because the box is gradually smaller. You could use a couple zip ties across the top of the box and connected to the zip ties wrapped around the box to hold it there better. I say this because you mentioned not being able to tighten it around the lip and I remember now I had the same problem so I used zip ties across the the top of the box. When I used my cages then I just used small zip ties attached to the cage and then attached to the zip ties around the box. Hope I haven't now thoroughly confused you.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old November 4, 2017   #25
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Once the plant is in it, and if it starts sliding down, I will just use the clips like I had in the past.

Do you get the zip ties under the lip? Could have been my bag; they are very glossy and shiny making it slippery. It is really on tight though. I couldn't tighten it where the zips finally connected; went with one on the side.
Old November 4, 2017   #26
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Once the plant is in it, and if it starts sliding down, I will just use the clips like I had in the past.

Do you get the zip ties under the lip? Could have been my bag; they are very glossy and shiny making it slippery. It is really on tight though. I couldn't tighten it where the zips finally connected; went with one on the side.
I don't do it that way anymore. If you can find Raybo Earthtainer thread you will see my setup using the same cages he uses on his Earthtainers. It's a whole different setup now.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old November 12, 2017   #27
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Finally getting around to posting that picture. Since then, EB has been planted and I did another one that went way easier. Weird b/c the tie tabs were much shorter but I got done quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Earthbox with tie tabs.jpg (335.6 KB, 63 views)
Old November 12, 2017   #28
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Looks good barb.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old November 13, 2017   #29
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

How many ties did it require to do it with the perimeter attachment? Just from memory, the perimeter is about 6-7 feet? Looks nice and secure.

Last edited by Greatgardens; November 13, 2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old November 14, 2017   #30
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
How many ties did it require to do it with the perimeter attachment? Just from memory, the perimeter is about 6-7 feet? Looks nice and secure.
Yes, I want to know this too.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote