Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2018   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio
Posts: 697
Default Alfalfa pellets

Garden not looking as well as I would like.Some of my tomato plants are not looking that good.We have not had very much rain and growth is slow.They were planted 2 weeks ago today.I put some Tomato tone around them and scratched it in last week but hoping the alfalfa pellets will kick start the growth and green them up some.Pepper are doing good as some have small peppers already.Today I spread pellets through out and then watered them in very well.Garden has that barn yard smell, pellets swelled up and look 2 times there size.This should help the soil as an amendment and feed the worms.This is my 3 season of no till.
cjp1953 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2018   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™
 
b54red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
Garden not looking as well as I would like.Some of my tomato plants are not looking that good.We have not had very much rain and growth is slow.They were planted 2 weeks ago today.I put some Tomato tone around them and scratched it in last week but hoping the alfalfa pellets will kick start the growth and green them up some.Pepper are doing good as some have small peppers already.Today I spread pellets through out and then watered them in very well.Garden has that barn yard smell, pellets swelled up and look 2 times there size.This should help the soil as an amendment and feed the worms.This is my 3 season of no till.
Without adding amendments to the soil with no till it is harder to maintain decent levels of potasium and nitrogen. You might want to try using something like Texas Tomato Food which is a well balanced fertilizer for tomatoes and pretty natural to boot. Rain will sap both of those key elements as they both leach out of the soil so you probably need to add something that will get down to the roots in liquid form.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio
Posts: 697
Default

I was thinking the same thing,I did put some alfalfa pellets out in April but we had a rainy month and I kind of thought it may have washed out.I had a winter cover crop of tillage radishes,their taproot goes pretty deep only downside I saw was the leaves broke down very fast in March and I had bare ground in April.Past years I planted vetch and winter rye that left plenty of top cover.May add vetch with the radishes this fall so I have more leaf mass for mulch in the spring.Thanks for the response I'll look into your suggestion and see if I can find it.
cjp1953 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 34,956
Default

I'm thinking the soil may be getting depleted somewhat.
Just a wild guess.
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
Neanderthal and proud of it.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #5
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
Garden not looking as well as I would like.Some of my tomato plants are not looking that good.We have not had very much rain and growth is slow.They were planted 2 weeks ago today.I put some Tomato tone around them and scratched it in last week but hoping the alfalfa pellets will kick start the growth and green them up some.Pepper are doing good as some have small peppers already.Today I spread pellets through out and then watered them in very well.Garden has that barn yard smell, pellets swelled up and look 2 times there size.This should help the soil as an amendment and feed the worms.This is my 3 season of no till.
You mentioned not much rain. Do you also water them?
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™
 
clkeiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 3,847
Default

two weeks ago the heat probably had stressed them greatly. are they looking any better this week? last night was pretty cool for us. Do you have at least the tomatoes mulched with straw or something ( even shredded news paper works well for this)? that will help to keep the soil soft around the plant and to preserve moisture too.
__________________
carolyn k
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #7
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio
Posts: 697
Default

I did not mulch thinking the soil was not warm enough but have straw.I might have time Saturday if I don't work to get it down,the weather is going to warm looks to be dry.Looking at things today and it does look better.I hope the alfalfa helps in the near future.
cjp1953 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 34,956
Default

You cant think, 'you have to know, that is what a good thermometer will tell you.
I use mine religiously.
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
Neanderthal and proud of it.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™
 
clkeiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 3,847
Default

Worth is correct... get a soil thermometer. they are actually relatively inexpensive you just need to get one for the garden. it has a metal shield to protect the glass from hitting rocks or just hard dirt and breaking.
Kevin wanted to plant corn a while ago thinking maybe the soil was warm enough behind the one greenhouse... I told him it was still too cold without even going and looking. he wanted to plant corn but I told him not to do it... "it was too cold still!" so he went and got the trusty thermometer and checked... it was 36°... he waited. he didn't believe me and I couldn't make him take my word for it.
__________________
carolyn k

Last edited by clkeiper; June 7, 2018 at 08:57 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #10
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio
Posts: 697
Default

That's a good idea.I'll call Copley Feed and see if they carry them.Brakes went out in my car tonight.I just got home after having it towed to a garage.Had to call off work tomorrow to have it fixed.If it not one thing,it's another.
cjp1953 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 34,956
Default

I use a thermometer I use in meat and other stuff.
You can calibrate it.
Got two of them.

One is an AcuRite and the other is a Taylor.

https://www.acurite.com/acurite-stai...ter-00640.html

http://taylor-enviro.com/kitchen/the...mometer-1.html
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
Neanderthal and proud of it.

Last edited by Worth1; June 8, 2018 at 06:11 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #12
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio
Posts: 697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I use a thermometer I use in meat and other stuff.
You can calibrate it.
Got two of them.

One is an AcuRite and the other is a Taylor.

https://www.acurite.com/acurite-stai...ter-00640.html

http://taylor-enviro.com/kitchen/the...mometer-1.html
Thanks Worth,I'll pick one up today
cjp1953 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #13
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™
 
Nan_PA_6b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
He didn't believe me and I couldn't make him take my word for it.
Ain't that always the way...
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #14
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™
 
clkeiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 3,847
Default

always. he will call the neighbor ( very young man) and ask him something I already answered but not my word until he hears it from him. whatever!
__________________
carolyn k
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #15
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio
Posts: 697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Worth is correct... get a soil thermometer. they are actually relatively inexpensive you just need to get one for the garden. it has a metal shield to protect the glass from hitting rocks or just hard dirt and breaking.
Kevin wanted to plant corn a while ago thinking maybe the soil was warm enough behind the one greenhouse... I told him it was still too cold without even going and looking. he wanted to plant corn but I told him not to do it... "it was too cold still!" so he went and got the trusty thermometer and checked... it was 36°... he waited. he didn't believe me and I couldn't make him take my word for it.
Thank you clkeiper,I need to go to Walmart for some soil.I plan on planting some cucumbers in a 6 gal bucket and need some more potting soil.Never tried this before.Ran out of room in my small garden.Still waiting to hear about my car.Need it Monday for work. I put some straw down that I had around my tomato plants today since I was off.Am bagging my grass clipping and will spread them when they turn brown around the garden.

Last edited by cjp1953; June 8, 2018 at 02:01 PM.
cjp1953 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★