Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 10, 2015   #1
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Default Barry's Crazy Cherry

Anybody have any experience growing this one? I've got some germinating right now and am looking forward to planting one out.

It's a new release from Wild Boar and looks really fun. The sheer number of tomatoes on the cluster pictured below is pretty astounding.

http://shop.wildboarfarms.com/BARRYS...ELEASE-BCC.htm

Kathy
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #2
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Hmmmmmmm wondering if it was named after me?
Barryblushes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Very cute. I love the color! Let us know how they taste when they're ready.
Old April 10, 2015   #4
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I'm grow BCC for the first time, too. My plant is in the ground and so far doesn't look different from others at this young state. I'm also trying Norwood Meiners for the first time, plus Goldkrone. I hope to see "crazy" trusses from all of these.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #5
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I have been in awe of that picture before.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #6
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I too have some seedlings headed for dirt here in the near future. Cant wait to see what it does.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely a mutiflora type such as Riesentraube (red), Ildi ( yellow), the Rose Quartz multiflora one ( pink) and the two that Alan Kapuler developed, one red, one yellow, and a few others I know of as well.

The flower stalks will have many hundreds of blossoms, can even pick one for a bouquet, but usually only maybe 40 to 60 blossoms set fruits, but not too shabby at that.

Carolyn
Old April 10, 2015   #8
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

This one has me curious. It was discovered on a sweet beverly plant, which i have grown many times. I also had a few very large trusses that set fruit last season, the biggest being 36 tomatoes on a single truss. Last season was the first time since I've grown it that I have had that many on multifloral plant. Being that this was discovered on a normal Sweet Beverly plant, does the "mega floral gene" for lack of a better term, actually translate into future generations?

In regards to taste I can only say that the original sweet beverly I grew was a favorite cherry of mine. Last year, the taste, color, and shape, were all different than what I've grown in previous years. Needless to say I was very dissapointed. Not sure if that's attributed to climate, or the particular bed that year, weather, who knows. Take that for what it's worth. I really enjoy some of Brads varities, but I've also had some issues with others of his. Inconsistencies being the main thing, perhaps some lines aren't fully stable? Having grown close to 20 different offering from him now, I can say he certianly has some gems in his tomato line. And as far as looks, his are hard to beat. New isn't always better though, or so I am learning.

Last edited by Hunt-Grow-Cook; April 10, 2015 at 04:49 PM.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-Grow-Cook View Post
This one has me curious. It was discovered on a sweet beverly plant, which i have grown many times. I also had a few very large trusses that set fruit last season, the biggest being 36 tomatoes on a single truss. Last season was the first time since I've grown it that I have had that many on multifloral plant. Being that this was discovered on a normal Sweet Beverly plant, does the "mega floral gene" for lack of a better term, actually translate into future generations?

In regards to taste I can only say that the original sweet beverly I grew was a favorite cherry of mine. Last year, the taste, color, and shape, were all different than what I've grown in previous years. Needless to say I was very dissapointed. Not sure if that's attributed to climate, or the particular bed that year, weather, who knows. Take that for what it's worth. I really enjoy some of Brads varities, but I've also had some issues with others of his. Inconsistencies being the main thing, perhaps some lines aren't fully stable? Having grown close to 20 different offering from him now, I can say he certianly has some gems in his tomato line. And as far as looks, his are hard to beat. New isn't always better though, or so I am learning.
Sweet Beverly was not stable when it was first made available, and there are some pictures here at Tville showing all the different shapes and sizes that came from seed.

As to the multifora gene, I don't know how it works, it could have been a spontaneous mutation seen first with your plant and if true such spontaneous mutations are permeant and heritable, so save seeds from those fruits and see what you get when you grow it out again.

Were you growing any mutiflora varieties any time recently since X pollination would be the more direct way of seeing it with what you have.

Carolyn
Old April 12, 2015   #10
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

I too would be curious as to the flavor on this one. It could save me some time.

I have a cross of Legenda Tarasenko and Ildi that I made a couple of years back. Of course the F1's, were small red pointy multiflora but this year I am really looking forward to seeing how the F2s come out. I expect a few to look exactly like the picture.

While I didn't have the fruit set percentage that the photo shows, there is always potential with Ildi in the mix. I also don't expect great flavor to be easy to come by as the LT didn't taste great, and Ildi isn't reliable flavor wise in my garden. I intended to use it for breeding.

Looking forward to an update on this one......

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #11
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Talking about multiflora :

and it's fruit set:

this is the same truss, not mine plant, pictures from polish gardening forum.
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2015   #12
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

Amazing! Not even in my wildest dreams.

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2015   #13
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loeb View Post
Talking about multiflora :

and it's fruit set:

this is the same truss, not mine plant, pictures from polish gardening forum.
MIND BOGGLING
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2015   #14
tam91
Tomatovillian™

What variety is that thing???
Old April 17, 2015   #15
loeb
Tomatovillian™

This is Kozula's Megagron, she released it at f4 if I remember that correctly.. then whole forum had fun with selecting I have seen it somewhere in US shops as Megatrusses. 1 or max 2 stems, 2-3 trusses are max for this one. Mine f6seedling was cut this year by some bird:/ Now I'm waiting for the backup f4 to sprout.. Anyway, I think Megatrusses sold in US is stable, it should be something like f9 now..
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote