Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 6, 2006   #1
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Default Question

I have a sungold growing all over a brandywine plant that has set a few brandywine tomatoes in the past few weeks. What are the chances that if I save the seed from the brandywine it will be a cross with the sungold?
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2006   #2
Keithville
Tomatovillian™

Default Question

I was wondering the same thing since I have a couple of plants getting run over by the brandywines.How are your Bw's doing in your fall garden. Mine are so much better than the spring. I think these will be a fall plant from now on. I have over 30 tomatoes and loads of blooms on just two plants.Now if cold weather will hold off long enough for them to grow and get ripe.
Old October 7, 2006   #3
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Well they are off to a later start, I have only 4 tomatoes on this plant that I can see, but for around here I think thats good, onsidering the one I had out from the spring did not set one fruit. I think now that the weather is cooler I may see more, but the question would be if they ripen in time. What veriety are you growing? mine is just named 'brandywine' from totally tomatoes.
Old October 7, 2006   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLa
I have a sungold growing all over a brandywine plant ... what are the chances that if I save the seed from the brandywine it will be a cross with the sungold?
Have you observed any bumble bees visiting the flowers on each plant? If so, maybe your chances are increased.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2006   #5
username5
Tomatovillian™

I would think the odds of a cross are low.

Next year you could intentionally cross them though and your odds would be nearly 100%

Still, there are enough passionate people here that surely someone has already crossed the 2 and can offer you some idea of what to expect from the effort.
username5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2006   #6
CLa
Tomatovillian™

I have a few bumble bees or maybe they are carpenter bees that like the sungolds. but the chance of them actually messing with the few brandywines are probably pretty slim. But I guess we will see, if I plant brandywine it again, it will come from those seeds and not the leftovers from Totally tomatoes. I'v never tried to intentially cross anything. But I was just curious, thanks;D
Old October 8, 2006   #7
Keithville
Tomatovillian™

Default Question

Mine just say brandywine too. They were from vegetable seed warehouse. The few I got in the spring were really good.These two plants I saved from spring. I put them in the shade till mid-August,cut them back and moved to self watering containers. Its so breezy here I never bother to shake mine. Good luck with yours.
Old October 9, 2006   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

CLA,

What I meant was, have you closely watched the big black and yellow bees (whether they're "carpenter" or "bumble" bees or whatever) as they buzz each flower?

If you do you will see that the bees hovered about each blossom for just a few seconds before moving on.

You could tag some of those blossoms just for curiosity.

I would try saving the seeds from the Brandywines where you see the bees hover after visiting a Sungold flower since you'll be able to tell if there was a cross a soon as the true leaves appear on the sprouts you test germinate.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2006   #9
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I would say that with the close proximity of the plants (like they could get any closer ) and the presence of the bees, there's a reasonably good chance you have at least one crossed fruit.

Now... as far as that fruit goes, I would have to say I like the potential for good results.. Brandywine and Sungold? Mmmmmm.

Brandygold!

..which makes me wonder, has this been done before, and if so, what sort of results were there?
Old October 9, 2006   #10
CLa
Tomatovillian™

There are not many larger bees around , but quite a few different small ones buzzing around. I'v never observed them on the brandywine yet, but i haven't watched it closely that much. That said, a sungold truss is right above the largest brandywine tomato, the plants are growing into each other. I'm going to plant seeds from this brandywine plant next spring and just see what happens. Hmm you know what, I have a new digital camera, what am I thinking. 'goes and takes a picture..(to be continued).
Old October 9, 2006   #11
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Here is whats happening here:

I think the chances of it crossing may be slim, but its no problem. I would just like to try a brandywine (never have) The cross would be interesting, but I think the sungolds are fine just the way they are, and just to have some good tasting full size tomatoes would be really nice. But I'll plant the seed from this plant anyway for the fun of it.
Old October 9, 2006   #12
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

by the sound of it ...
maybe you want an "untouched fruit"
for seed saving ; and the deliberately
cross one for outstanding flavor !
You're onto something here ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote