Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 8, 2014   #106
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootLoops View Post
wow that was fast! looks like you have a bit of green mold at 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock unless there is something colored green in your substrate like newspaper or something, it kinda seems too bright green for mold. if it is mold it's not a complete lost cause i've seen oysters tear through two or three kinds of mold, and some bacteria(rarely) this could just be a lighting trick too.
I took a closer look and it looks like Junk mail from the paper shredder. Doesn't smell bad or anything. Will see in a week or so if its green mold. But I to am optimistic that this is going to work out really good. It hasn't been that long and the mycelium growth is impressive.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #107
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

yeah i thought the color wasn't quite right for mold then i noticed other bits of it and was hoping it was just the substrate material, you'd definitely know by the smell so i'd say you're golden on this one. i should be receiving some new cultures in the next two days with a couple very nice oysters. when my wife gets home i'll get some pics of the azul oyster on agar, it's taking off well in just a week since inoculating.

have you given any thought to making a mushroom composting area? take lattice and cut it 2x8 or 3x8 whichever and attach it to fence posts with zip ties or something to cordon off the area you want to use. toss all grass clippings, leaves, crop waste, etc, or just put a layer of hay down and spawn it with either the spore juice epsilon found upthread or fruit body slurry or what have you, pile it about a foot deep i would think and keep it watered as needed, once they reach the top of that start piling on new waste in layers and as they advance they'll fruit through the holes in the lattice whenever they can. it's a perpetual digester, just add in new spore juice or fruit slurry every so often when you notice a slowdown in fruiting. i've never done this but i will this year and will see how effective it is.
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #108
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
yeah i thought the color wasn't quite right for mold then i noticed other bits of it and was hoping it was just the substrate material, you'd definitely know by the smell so i'd say you're golden on this one. i should be receiving some new cultures in the next two days with a couple very nice oysters. when my wife gets home i'll get some pics of the azul oyster on agar, it's taking off well in just a week since inoculating.

have you given any thought to making a mushroom composting area? take lattice and cut it 2x8 or 3x8 whichever and attach it to fence posts with zip ties or something to cordon off the area you want to use. toss all grass clippings, leaves, crop waste, etc, or just put a layer of hay down and spawn it with either the spore juice epsilon found upthread or fruit body slurry or what have you, pile it about a foot deep i would think and keep it watered as needed, once they reach the top of that start piling on new waste in layers and as they advance they'll fruit through the holes in the lattice whenever they can. it's a perpetual digester, just add in new spore juice or fruit slurry every so often when you notice a slowdown in fruiting. i've never done this but i will this year and will see how effective it is.
Sounds like fun! You gotta stop tempting me with all these cool DIY projects. It's like a kid playing in a Candy bar. Once i get started i don't stop!
Old April 8, 2014   #109
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

ha ha! it's definitely addictive, i'd like for us to be able to feed all our paper waste to mushrooms, our food waste to wild animals and worms, and our plastic and glass to the recycling place. used motor oil can also be consumed by oysters but i'm not sure if you can eat the fruits.
Old April 8, 2014   #110
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

What is this a reference to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
Rootloops your mushroom Goo method worked!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #111
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

just take some fresh mushrooms and blend em up in water and use that to inoculate your pasteurized substrate. it works best for outdoor growing but if everything is clean enough it can be done indoors too

the box i started hasn't done anything but it got dumped on the last two days with rain, it looks too wet but when it gets to the right moisture content it may spring to life. the mushrooms i used had dried a lot by the time i picked em so they weren't too vigorous to start with. it's interesting to note that even dry mushrooms can be restarted on agar, even powdered. there is a shelf life to that ability though i believe

Last edited by RootLoops; April 8, 2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old April 8, 2014   #112
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Might try this with Shiitakes. Cant find Oysters fresh anywhere!

Quote:
just take some fresh mushrooms and blend em up in water and use that to inoculate your pasteurized substrate. it works best for outdoor growing but if everything is clean enough it can be done indoors too

the box i started hasn't done anything but it got dumped on the last two days with rain, it looks too wet but when it gets to the right moisture content it may spring to life. the mushrooms i used had dried a lot by the time i picked em so they weren't too vigorous to start with. it's interesting to note that even dry mushrooms can be restarted on agar, even powdered. there is a shelf life to that ability though i believe

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old April 8, 2014   #113
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

it should work with shiitakes but i have no personal experience with them other than pre colonized blocks. i know they need wood and that most places supplement them with grain or bran.
Old April 8, 2014   #114
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

I find it interesting that both bisporus and ostreatus both Snell like some mixture of almonds. Reishi smell like gym socks
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #115
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

I modified Rootloops blend recipe and made the slurry with coffee grounds/filters and/paper to thicken it up. I figure having those all mixed in to one will make it less wet.
Old April 8, 2014   #116
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

have you ever found any stinkhorns? there are some that pop up here in the first part of spring. putrid is the most fitting word to describe them, or maybe fetid. my uncle would have said they'd knock a buzzard off a gut wagon lol
Old April 8, 2014   #117
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
I modified Rootloops blend recipe and made the slurry with coffee grounds/filters and/paper to thicken it up. I figure having those all mixed in to one will make it less wet.
that's a good idea it probably helped it get such a quick start by giving it a food source to jump off of, like the grains in grain spawn do.
Old April 17, 2014   #118
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Just ordered 100 plugs each of shiitake and blue oyster from mushroom mountain for $27 shipped. Will plug the Maple logs next week! Very excited to try this.

I'll also use some of the plugs to inoculate some moistened shredded paper and/or hay in plastic bags.

Old April 17, 2014   #119
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Yes, those pop up in the mulch all the time. Foul.

Quote:
have you ever found any stinkhorns? there are some that pop up here in the first part of spring. putrid is the most fitting word to describe them, or maybe fetid. my uncle would have said they'd knock a buzzard off a gut wagon lol

Old April 17, 2014   #120
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Just ordered 100 plugs each of shiitake and blue oyster from mushroom mountain for $27 shipped. Will plug the Maple logs next week! Very excited to try this.

I'll also use some of the plugs to inoculate some moistened shredded paper and/or hay in plastic bags.
awesome!!!