Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old November 26, 2008   #1
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

Default compost question, when is it done?

I hardly ever seem to get my compost done. It stopped steaming last week in the black plastic composter and it turned black, except a few things have not finished breaking down, and it doesn't smell quiet earthy yet. So I moved it to the finishing area and put a tarp over it. My question is, "Is it better to finish in a garbage can with holes or on the ground with a tarp over it?"

I have lots of neighborhood leaves so I needed the bin, so I piled the almost ready stuff and covered it with tarp. I have heard from several composters not to let the rain water get to them and leach the nutrients. Should I move it to a garbage can to finish instead of the earth? Should I put a few holes in the bottom and sides? We live in Oregon and get lots of rain.

Thanks for your help. This year I have approximately 12 recycling cans full so far of leaves and 5 piles of leaves. I just really want to stop paying for compost.
And we have about 30 mature maple and sweet gums in the area that produce tons of leaves. So I am the street cleaner.

Thanks for the advice.
maricybele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2008   #2
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Once the components of your compost break down sufficiently that they are unrecognizable, your compost is probably ready to use. Even if there are a few twigs or larger pieces left, they can be screened out if you wish, and put back into the next batch to 'cook' a little longer.

If you've added weeds or anything with seeds to your pile which you never want to see again, you should be sure the pile attained sufficient temperature to kill the seeds. Not everyone runs a hot pile. Things will decompose anyway. It just takes longer.

I personally would finish the compost on the ground with the tarp over it. I think there is benefit to having direct contact with the microbes in your soil.

Lucky you to have access to so many leaves. Lucky neighborhood to have you for a street cleaner!

I've usually tried to keep my leaves dry while I'm waiting to add them to the compost. I've always done it because I find it easier to blend the dry leaves into the mix. How I do it is to run them through the vacuum/chipper thingy and store them in large plastic bags. You'd be surprised how many you can get packed into those big bags after they are all mulched up. And having been mulched, they break down more quickly in the compost too.

Good luck with your compost. (I think I love making compost nearly as much as I love growing tomatoes!)

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote