Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 3, 2014   #1
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Default Styrofoam ...toxic?...

I'm considering broken blue, and pink board insulation as a drainage filler for some of my plants. I want to cover the bottom 2" with small (1" chunk) pieces to allow my plants to dry out after heavy rains. It's not unusual to have an inch of standing water for 8-12 hours here on this flood plain.

Does anyone know of any toxicity issues that might come into play, and if not ...how come I haven't heard of others using it? I can't believe I'm the only one that's thought of it.

Charlie

P.S. I should say this would be for my bucket plantings.

Last edited by Got Worms?; May 3, 2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Add P.S.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

If you are intent on filling the bottom of a container with inert ingredients - I would recommend using large particle Perlite. The styrofoam might "float up" over time in the water and cause problems - nevermind the possible toxicity issue.

Perlite costs about $4.00 per cubic foot at Hydro shops. Cheap!

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #3
mick5500
Tomatovillian™

I am making self watering containers and did some research and using Elmer's Styrofoam boards.

They have an acid free which is about $3.50 per 20 by 30 board.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Elmer-s-Ac...6-2pk/17011427
I am new at this and I needed something for self watering containers and this is all I could find .
There were some at Home Depot for wall insulation 4 feet by 8 feet for $8.00 but I could not determine if the contents would be harmful for plants.
Any one else with info please chime in.
Thanks
mick5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #4
mick5500
Tomatovillian™

Do they make the perlite in sheets that I can use for the base of my self watering tote. My lids will not work(okay I cut them to short) so I need something safe to use as a 20 by 30 base ?

Thanks

Last edited by mick5500; May 3, 2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old May 3, 2014   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.bios.niu.edu/news_events/...olystyrene.pdf

It is not good for you over time.
Old May 4, 2014   #6
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
That explains it! Thanks Kurt.

Yeah, when something seems too good to be true...

Charlie
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Have you thought about using fabric pots?

Ami
Old May 4, 2014   #8
Chucker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I don't know if Styrofoam is god or not, but the linked article is not a scientific paper, just somebody who wants NIU Resident Halls to ban polystyrene. There are no citations to any of the data or studies in that paper. I'm in the "not everything on the internet is true" camp.
Chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

There are different types of styrofoam as well. The insulation board is made to be a permanent product, as compared to a coffee cup. Products made for temporary use would be the first ones to break down.

I personally wouldn't worry about styrofoam. Soft vinyl plastic like shower curtains and pond liners is much more susceptible to toxic leeching. The odds are that most of us are carrying pthalate chemicals in our blood right now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate#Health_effects
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #10
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.ejnet.org/plastics/polystyrene/health.html
This might clear up some questions.
http://www.olivegreen.com.sg/pdf/Sty...0Marketing.pdf

Last edited by kurt; May 4, 2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Additional warnings
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Why do you need it in sheets? will a piece of screen do over or under the perlite to keep it from washing out? I would recommend the perlite, too. It won't float and it makes for excellent aeration and when you dump it out (if you need to) no need to pick through and recycle or throw it all in the trash, you can put it all in the garden ot flowerbed or even in a depression in the lawn.
Old May 4, 2014   #12
mick5500
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year doing all containers( I can not plant in the ground due to mostly high winds and less sun in the shielded areas). I used to plant in the ground when I lived in Pasadena ,CA Now Victorville, CA)
I liked the idea of self watering totes only because I thought the plants would be healthier from root rot using a 25 gallon tote with the reservoir.
It is not a matter of money for the most part. I can buy 15 gallon basic black plastic containers from a hydroponics store for $7.00 each but a small earth container is $30.00

I will have about 35 plants mostly tomato and peppers in the next month. Half are still in 6 inch pots. I could use some advice .
So starting from scratch on the rest I have to plant ,using cheap 10 to 15 gallon black plastic containers with perlite and weed blocker screen or window screen sheets be the best way to go ? Do not need to be worry about self watering aspect as I will not be away much this summer
Thanks