Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 12, 2006   #1
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Default Better Luck this year!

Last year I started 2 Sophie’s Choice plants in mid-December and put them into an Earthbox, in February, in front of my south facing garage door. On frosty nights I’d drag the box into the garage. Even though it was still very cold the plants were protected from frost and I was hoping for an early tomato.

Well, long story short, after dragging the thing around for the better part of 2 months I still didn’t get anything much earlier than SCs planted in the ground in March. It was just too cold.

This year I have 3 plants in 1 gal. black pots that I can bring into the house every night. It rarely gets below 60°F overnight inside. They were started in mid-Dec. just like last year but now they’re loaded with fruit and flowers. They are a foot tall and if they become root-bound I’ll pot up to something bigger. I hope to start picking homegrown tomatoes in about a month.

January 24th

February 12th
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #2
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi chilhuacle,

How do Sophie’s Choice compare in taste to Kimberly and SFT? What size container do you ultimately use for this variety?
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #3
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Hey Angelique,

Last year I had them in the ground and in the Earthbox. The plant in the ground produced a great, delicious tomato. More like Stupice than SFT. SFT is good but more tart than SC.

Quote:
What size container do you ultimately use for this variety
I'm not sure yet. I'll look at the roots and see what size I should go to. I think I'll leave one in the 1 gal. pot, 1 in something bigger, and maybe stick one in the ground later. This is still an experiment in progress.

I'm trying Kimberly for the first time this year so I'll let you know.

Bruce
Old February 12, 2006   #4
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

chilhuacle... I'm verrrry interested in what you're doing and I am now trying something very similar. Please keep us informed!! I'm using SFT & Lime Green Salad seedlings.
Best of Luck!!
Old February 12, 2006   #5
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the feedback about Sophie's Choice. I guess that I am slow to catch on. I didn't know that YOU are Chilhuacle until now.

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #6
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I didn't know that YOU are Chilhuacle until now
Yea, new site, new name.

Bad news Cottonpicker, the 1 gallon pots just aren't cutting it. I have lots of flowers on all 3 plants and most set fruit. The problem is, when they get to this size, every single one of them has BER. Eleven tomatoes so far. The soil gets completely dry in less than a day, I'm guessing because the pots get so hot.

I've moved one to a raised bed and one to a larger pot with a saucer under it to hold water. I need a fresh tomato baaad.

Bruce, still deciding what to do with the 3rd plant.
Old February 23, 2006   #7
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

chil.... Thanks for the update. Too bad..... Never know till we try! Good luck!
Old February 24, 2006   #8
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Just a thought. Here when the pots get to hot, I put it inside a larger pot so that the sun is not hitting right on the pot with the plant in it.
SelfSufficient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2006   #9
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Hi SelfSufficient1,

Good idea, makes perfect sense. I'll give it a try with the 3rd plant. Maybe a lighter color exterior pot at that. Will post comparison pictures when the tomatoes get bigger.

Bruce
Old February 24, 2006   #10
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

I will be interested to see how it turns out. I haven't actually done it with tomatoes and since I will have container tomatoes this year too and would probably use this method for them, I wouldn't mind knowing if it is going to help or not ahead of time.
SelfSufficient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2006   #11
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the report, Bruce. I'm dyin' for a real, fresh tomato too. I've been really sucking down the quart jars of canned this month, though -- in soups and such.

The smallest I've ever tried to go for my early tomatoes (excluding the micros) that has actually been fairly successful has been 2.5 gal containers with a tablespoon or so of Soil Moist crystals worked through the bottom half of the container mix, and then an inch of straw mulch on top. Now, that combo actually worked fairly well for minimal weight/space.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2006   #12
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The smallest I've ever tried to go for my early tomatoes (excluding the micros) that has actually been fairly successful has been 2.5 gal containers.
I think you're right on the mark Suze. The plant in the 2.5 gal pot is doing great, as is the one in the ground. The one still in the 1-gallon pot, even though it’s now cooler and cloudy, with a larger pot as shade, still is only producing tomatoes with BER. I'm going to put it in an 18 gallon tote today.

The plant in the ground is loaded with tomatoes and very healthy looking. Won't be long now.....I hope.