Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 15, 2006   #1
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandy Boy problem

I have 2 hybrids, a Momotaro and this Brandy Boy. And 30 OPs. This is the only one doing this. What exactly is this and what's the prescription? Granted, the weather has been lousy, no sun, plenty of rain. Yes, I know it's getting splashed but it's been one crisis after another since May and this was the smallest of them. The Simpson's Summer Palace next to it is getting splashed too and isn't complaining (yet?)

lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Hard to say based on pic size -- can you post more of a closeup? Looks like perhaps some fruiting bodies for early blight?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2006   #3
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

I guess I was thinking ambience, too much.;-)

Old June 16, 2006   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Looks like overwatering perhaps combined w/a touch of early blight.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2006   #5
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Luckily it's not supposed to rain for a few days and I already used Daconil so either it makes it or not.

Thanks, Suze.
Old June 16, 2006   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

I had what looked exactly the same on a younger plant ... Yellow Brandywine ... while it was still in a 4-inch pot earlier this spring.

I stripped off the yellow foliage, transplanted it up to a larger pot in fresh mix (I realize that may not be an option for you now), and gave it a shot of MG tomato food. It recouped in less than a week and now that it's been out in a raised bed for about a month, it's lookin' great. Not as healthy as the regular Brandywine, the Brandy Boy F3, or especially the Earl's Faux (that dang thing's a monster), but no signs of whatever the ailment was. It didn't set fruit in its first two blossom clusters, but otherwise it's healthy.

Good luck,

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2006   #7
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Papa Vic, I experienced the exact same thing, with Yellow Brandywine & others. It showed up when I transplanted into the garden. I did the same thing - stripped off those bad looking leaves... and now, about a week later, there is much new growth & everyone seems happy & healthy!
Old June 18, 2006   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I forgot ...

I added a couple of Tbs. Epsom salts to the MG in the watering can when I applied it foliar. One time did the trick.

However, the fact that the plant in the picture is in soggy ground may indicate something entirely different than what I had in a 4-inch pot. Anyway, the YB is doing very well in the raised bed now with no signs of yellowing or spotted leaves.

Another thing ... I did have something that looked similar to the photo in the original post ... out in the garden that I planted kinda early this spring ... April 9 is early around here ... then after two weeks of warm weather it got colder and rained a lot. That's when some of the bottom leaves did that yellow/spotted thing on me. Some of them were so splattered with mud from thunderstorms that I can't swear the spots were the same as those shown in the photo.

If I remember right it was on a Brandywine, a Sun Gold, and a Ramapo F5. Again, I just stripped off the yellowed leaves. They're all doing great now that the weather has gotten hot again. No foliage discoloration at all. I'm sold on this Epsom salts thing.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote