Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 6, 2006   #1
flounder
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Speck.....I would be grateful for any help

I suspected this disease a while back but from what I have read, there isn't much I could do to treat it anyway.
The last few days I have noticed that the largest tomatoes on the plants are getting pockmarked with the black speck. I suspect some seed I purchased must have been infected. Overall my plants are growing well and have set a lot of fruit.
My questions are many:
1. Should I be removing the tomatoes that are full of the speck?
2. I know it will affect the appearance of the tomatoes, but will it affect their taste?
3. I have read that the bacteria does best when it is cool and wet. We have entered a period of hot dry weather here, can I expect the disease to taper off?
4. Will I be plagued with this disease in future years? (I am on a three year rotation now and I remove most crop residue at the end of the season.)
5. Is there something I should treat my wire cages with at the end of the season.
Thank you ahead of time for any help you can give me.
I'm just a little bummed out right now.
Art
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2006   #2
flounder
Tomatovillian™

Thank-you very much for the useful information.
Art
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote