Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 19, 2018   #76
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
[here is an internet opine I came across] for thread fodder

[I do not know what bx % is....] -

Top 10 Cherry Tomato Varieties

1. ‘Golden Sweet‘: Touted as the sweetest and best-tasting yellow grape tomato, the indeterminate vines produce lots of glossy gold fruits that are crack-resistant, firm and meaty.
2. ‘Isis Candy‘: This is a very pretty cherry tomato with golden fruits streaked with red. They are equally delicious and sweet with a 8-9 °Bx. The vines are high-performing and indeterminate.
3. ‘Matt’s Wild Cherry‘: This is one of the sweetest of the currant tomatoes with an 11.5 °Bx. The large vines produce lots of bright red, pungent fruits so one is all you need.
4. ‘Fantastico’: Slightly elongated grape tomatoes still fall into the cherry tomato category, and the bright red, AAS-winning ‘Fantastico’ is one of the best. The glossy sweet tomatoes have a 12 °Bx and are firm, crack-resistant, and sweet. The bushy, determinate vines are also high-yielding and resistant to late blight.
5. ‘Sun Gold‘: This is the classic for cherry tomato lovers because it offers both remarkable sweet, tangy, delicious tomato flavor. The golden-orange fruits have an 8 °Bx, are borne on long trusses, and taste best when growing conditions are slightly dry. Vines are indeterminate.
6. ‘Sunpeach‘: This pink-fruited relative of ‘Sun Gold’ has super long trusses of slightly oblong fruits with excellent sweet, well-rounded flavor. The fruits are crack-resistant, and the high-performing vines are indeterminate.
7. ‘Favorita‘: The glossy, deep red, fruits have a 8.8 °Bx sugar rating and produce early. The indeterminate vines resist Fusarium wilt, Tobacco Mosaic Virus, and nematodes.
8. ‘Sun Sugar‘: The tangerine-orange fruits of ‘Sun Sugar’ are some of the sweetest, tartest, and best tasting around. The disease-resistant, indeterminate vines will stand up to fusarium wilt and tobacco mosaic virus, and they produce long trusses of crack-resistant fruits.
9. ‘Candyland Red‘: Large, rambling vines produce lots of super sweet, firm, currant fruits that are tiny and deep red. Of all the currant tomatoes available, it’s the sweetest with 12 °Bx. It is also a 2016 All-America Selections winner!
10. ‘Supersweet 100‘: The super-sized, disease-resistant, indeterminate vines can reach over 12’ and produce loads and loads of bright red and very tasty. The fruits are the least sweet of the bunch, with a 6 °Bx, but they are still very good and super prolific.
Old thread but I'm assuming bx stands for BRIX - which is the sugar content of a the solution squeezed from the plants. Higher BRIX generally means healthier more robust plants.
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #77
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I doubt anyone is testing the more obscure heirlooms or modern OP breeding creations as extensively as the collective knowledge of us t'villers. Most people like Sungold. I think it's ok. I've grown SunPeach and I liked it, but I did not consider it sweet at all. The flavor is mild and very agreeable, but not what I would call sweet. And Supersweet 100 is ok, too, better than a lot of other red cherries, but there are sweeter varieties out there.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #78
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Narnia How did Goldkrone do next to Esterina? I am trying to narrow down my "to plant" list.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #79
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

My ultimate cherry would be a dwarf, indeterminate, variegated or woolly, disease resistant, potato-leaved multi-flora with flavor-balanced, non-red fruit. ;-)

Is that even possible?
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #80
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
My ultimate cherry would be a dwarf, indeterminate, variegated or woolly, disease resistant, potato-leaved multi-flora with flavor-balanced, non-red fruit. ;-)

Is that even possible?
That is a lot of recessive genes you’ve got there. Possible? Yes. It would take a cross with all desired genetics and growing out an obscene number of plants. Or grow lines with some traits, stabilize those and then cross. Still need to have a huge grow out but at least a feasible number.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #81
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Narnia How did Goldkrone do next to Esterina? I am trying to narrow down my "to plant" list.

Hi, I'm sorry that I cannot really give you a proper report. Last summer was so cold and rainy that most of the varieties were late and didn't produce well.
I did not get many ripe ones from neither Esterina nor Goldkrone, as I had to pick them green and take them indoors in the fall. So I did not know which yellow cherry was which variety ..
WIll try again this hear, hoping for a better and sunnier growing season!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018   #82
Hairy Moose Knuckles
Tomatovillian™

Several years ago Ted Maiden gave me one called mini gold. In my opinion, the flavor is better than Sun Gold and I'm a fellow that loves Sun Gold. This is how he described it and I agree.

Mini Gold is a great yellow/gold cherry. The plant will be small (less than 3 feet) and this baby will fill up in a hurry. I grew it in a 5 gal bucket. It is determinate and while very early, will go down for the count at mid to mid-late season.

Last edited by Hairy Moose Knuckles; January 26, 2018 at 05:49 PM.
Hairy Moose Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote