Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2014   #106
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Those people are Shelly's mother, dog walker, and other folks who are salting reviews.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #107
creister
Tomatovillian™

As Daffy Duck would say "Pew" to idle and empty threats. If his product was so great, it would sell itself.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #108
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Atomic Grow was highly recommended to me by a friend. I've seen conflicting reports about this product over the years. I decided to get to the bottom of it. One sure fire way to do this is to conduct an experiment yourself in your own garden which is what I've done.

My test group is 34 tomato plants and 36 pepper plants. My control group is 44 tomato plants and 64 pepper plants. My control group is receiving my normal foliar fertilizer treatment. Let the best product win, assuming of course that Atomic Grow doesn't burn my leaves and/or kill my plants.

Right from the get-go I think I see a possible source of confusion. The directions on the container say to mix 1/2 to 3/4 oz. per gallon of water. Then it goes on to say for tender plants such as tomatoes and peppers mix 1/4 oz. per gallon of water. I mixed 1.5 teaspoons, which according to my calculations is 1/4 oz., per gallon of water and sprayed my test group. I sprayed in the morning. Shortly after spraying the plants were in full direct sun. It was then partly sunny and very breezy that afternoon. That was Sunday, June 7th. Today is Tuesday, June 9th. I see no signs of burning on any of my tomato or pepper leaves in the test group.

That's all I can report thus far. It will take some time to see if the product has any affect positive or negative.

I think I've been around long enough that people realize I have no vested interest other than to find out what the heck is going on. I shall conduct a fair and unbiased experiment.

I don't know why it didn't burn my leaves. Mix ratio? Water? I'm on a well and maybe the other people use what we call city water. Other environmental factors?

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #109
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The turn off to me about this product and others on the market is the wild claims they have.
Not whether they fertilize the plant or not.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #110
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

But, but, Randy....ummmm.... Dont they sell this product at Mariseeds?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #111
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
But, but, Randy....ummmm.... Dont they sell this product at Mariseeds?
And your point is? An unbiased test is an unbiased test. I don't care if anyone buys this product or not or where they get it should they choose to buy it. People should choose whether to purchase products based on information not misinformation.

All of this started my friend recommended the product and I told him I would give it a try against my current foliar fertilizer and may the best product win. However, before I could get a chance to try it someone further south posted on a Facebook group I belong to a few weeks ago that it had burned the leaves of their plant. Something is not adding up. Why would my friend recommend it if it would burn the leaves of my plants? Anyhow, I responded to the Facebook post and said I planned on using the product and would report back. I reported my initial findings on Facebook and someone posted a link to this thread. Okey dokey I'll report my findings here too.

The reason I'm starting to suspect something is fishy is neither the poster on Facebook nor anyone here has reported the exact ratio they used nor have they worked with me to see what was different about what I did and what they did. Why is it always I used the product as directed instead of quoting from the label on the bottle? Why didn't they post the ratio used? I quoted from the label on the bottle. I specified the ratio used. I request that anyone who has used this product and has had issues to please step forward and work with me to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

BTW, I chose my current foliar fertilizer based on similar tests years ago. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I am skeptical as to whether this product can out perform it.
Old June 14, 2015   #112
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, I could have sworn I had deleted that post Randy. I double checked and it wasn't there, but now it is. I thought better of posting it right after I did it. Very sorry.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #113
Carolyn506
Tomatovillian™

Keep us posted on how it works for you. Any changes so far? Any DEAD plants?

Last edited by Carolyn506; June 14, 2015 at 10:42 PM.
Carolyn506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #114
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Whether it works or not I wouldn't buy it because of the shady business practices of the owner. Anyone that writes their own fake testimonials isn't going to get my business. Note Pepper Joe (the biggest flim flam man in the seed business IMHO) endorses his fellow snake oil salesman at DG.

That's just my opinion, and actually, I'll be interested in seeing how your experiment goes. Keep us posted.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #115
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
Whether it works or not I wouldn't buy it because of the shady business practices of the owner. Anyone that writes their own fake testimonials isn't going to get my business. Note Pepper Joe (the biggest flim flam man in the seed business IMHO) endorses his fellow snake oil salesman at DG.

That's just my opinion, and actually, I'll be interested in seeing how your experiment goes. Keep us posted.
I'm with Bill. For any who may have forgotten the issue that got him booted from here had to do with his spammy posts not his crappy product.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #116
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn506 View Post
Keep us posted on how it works for you. Any changes so far? Any DEAD plants?
At this time I plan to continue to post my results here. The disclaimer being should I receive a lot of negativity etc. I'll say fine you're own your own believe what you want to believe.

So far there is no discernable difference between the test plants and the control plants, but that's probably going to take some time. Also, there are no burned leaves or dead plants at this time.
Old June 15, 2015   #117
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Hey everyone, I totally understand not purchasing a product based on advertising, management etc. I do it myself. I personally avoid Monsanto, Penny's Tomatoes and others.

I had planned on putting this in my report at the end, but since it has come up I'll do it now. I took the owner's comment "I used Atomic Grow but i didnt follow the instructions. I sprayed my tomato plants and they exploded with buds. I tried my peppers, squash and the wifes indoor plants. All reacted really, really well. The sweetest tomato's I have ever grown" as an attempt at sarcastic humor. Others didn't take it that way. Either way his comments were uncalled for. IMHO, he then handled the situation very poorly by threatening a lawsuit. IMHO this is not the way an owner of a business should behave.

I didn't know any of this at the time I told my friend I would test the product. If I read this thread in the past I had long since forgotten about it.
Old June 15, 2015   #118
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Since you've already purchased the product, and started your field trial experiment, I, for one, am really curious to see what your results will be. I am a minimalist when it comes to fertilizers and a skeptic as far as additive products (yes, also a cheapskate) so chances are nil I'd buy it, but I still have a scientific interest in your conclusions.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #119
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

No problem Tomatoman. I'm all for science, so let's see where this experiment takes us.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #120
travis
Tomatovillian™

Randy, do you have a way to accurately measure Brix? If so, that will be helpful ... to compare Brix in same varieties of tomatoes, those without Atomic Grow and those treated with Atomic Grow, especially as "Jim" is claiming significant increase in Brix for treated examples.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote