Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 4, 2006   #1
MtnMaters
Tomatovillian™

Location: East TN weedpatch.... I know I planted some tomatoes in here!
Default Ever grown pertsevidini polosati? Your reports?

photo can be found most of the way down this page:
http://www.tomatsidan.se/TseeEng/StripesEn.htm

Anyone here grown this variety before? If so what was it like, and have ya got any seed?

The fruit in the photo is awesome looking, I would love to grow some of these if there is an equally awesome taste to go along.
MtnMaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Never heard of it before and if it were circulating in Sweden Ake, from Sweden I imagine would have listed in in the SSE Yearbook and there is no such listing.

But it's a dead ringer for Speckled Roman, developed by John Swenson and you can see a picture of that and a description by going to seedsavers.org and looking at the public SSE website catalog.
Old March 4, 2006   #3
bully
Tomatovillian™

I would also have provided a picture of PP from the site MtnMaters provided but without their permission that would be akin to stealing and more importantly....they had the right click button disabled on their site
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2006   #4
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Pertsevidnij Polosatij a ka Pepper-like Striped (or Pertsevidny Striped according to my crazy way of translation is a Russian tomato variety with no so long history. It was introduced 5-6 years ago by one of Moscow seed companies. Yes, it is ratehr similar to Speckled Roman with teh same impressive prodictivity and nice strips of orange-yellow. But on my experience Pertsevidnij Polosatij has wider yellow stripes than Speckled Roman, but it could be just subjective view 'cause I've never grown them together in one season.
Just a good productive tomato variety for canning! And I believe Russians bred it from Speckled Roman 'cause now it became much easier for any Russian seed companies to introduce a new variety than in SU times -they just use a new special article in the State Rules allowing them to bred new tomato/pepper varieties for amateur gardeners (not for farmers or agricultural enterprises) after just 1 year of developement while they spent about 5-7 years 15 years ago when it was a strict field and research control from the Soviet goverment :wink: So during last 5-10 years a lot of foreign varieties were stolen/renamed

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2006   #5
MtnMaters
Tomatovillian™

I see, so I take it that sauces, pastes etc from this variety would be on a par with those made from speckled Roman, and productivity is excellent?
Old March 5, 2006   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I have to say that I really do dislike the appearance of a supposedly new variety that clearly is based on the prior existance of an original variety and a new name is given and yet the appearance and probably all else is the same.

Andrey, the width of the striping for varieties such as Speckled Roman and others with similar striping such as Elberta Girl and others, can be and is highly variable. Speckled Roman can also throw some clear yellow fruits as well.

Pretty? Yes. My choice for a paste tomato? Not at all. Most of my tomato friends never use so called dedicated paste types b'c as a group they aren't as good tasting as others, they are more susceptible to BER and Early Blight ( A. solani), and most of us prefer to use any great tasting meaty varieties and just cook down the sauce a bit more.

For those who MUST, for some reason use paste types, if you read those kinds of threads at GW and elsewhere, you'll see that many prefer the variety Heidi, which actually I introduced ( from Cameroon and a former student of mine), Opalka or similar, Martino's Roma, and a few others.

And Andrey, you know the background on all of those b'c I just found out recently that someone sent you her copy of my book.

She had asked me some questions and I asked her to look in her book, which I knew she had, or did have, and she told me where it went.

Mtn, if you want Speckled Roman you don't have to go to that site in Sweden, you can purchase seeds in the US for that, and for quite a few that the Swedish fellow also offers.

And speaking as someone whose roots go back to Uppsala , Sweden, I'm quite pro all things Swedish. Actually like most Americans I'm a mix, as in 1/2 English on the paternal side, 1/4 Swedish and 1/4 German.
Old March 5, 2006   #7
MtnMaters
Tomatovillian™

Opalka, I have heard many great things about it as a "canner", and as an awesome producer. My mother looked at what all I was planning to grow this year and didn't find San Marzano, or one our locals here call a "Dolly Parton" ( I have no idea what this actually is, it has just been passed around locally by that name... and the fact that they have a little "nipple" on the end) which she prefers for salads and canning since they aren't so juicy, and I did grow last year. Mom is well-known around here for her cornbread salad, and doesn't like juicy maters for that.

Last year, on a whim, I made some sauce from a bumper crop of Great Whites, White Wonders, and White Beauty, it turned out pretty darned good, although everyone that tasted it kept asking "how much sugar did you add?" (none) because it was so sweet. I made some awesome batches of white spaghetti sauce, which complimented the sweet italian sausage in my meatballs. dawg-gonnit, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it (here's where a "licking of the lips" emoticon might come in handy).

Andrey is sending me some of the PP to give a whirl though, which should keep Mom off my back for being more of a Mater Sammich kinda guy.I think I'll slip a couple into her flower beds at her house for easy retrieval when she needs them.
Old March 5, 2006   #8
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, a nice white tomato marinara sauce. I can see it now with the bits of green basil contrasting nicely. Mmmm.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2006   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, yes, I've became a proud owner and user of your wonderful book almost a year ago. But as far as you could see I try to share more information about Russian varieties here. I have a database from Russian State Variety Control Organization (Gossort) and it helps me to investigate some details about certain vegetable varieties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
And Andrey, you know the background on all of those b'c I just found out recently that someone sent you her copy of my book.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote