Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 23, 2017   #31
righand
Tomatovillian™

lol....my blood pressure is actually a lot better now after buying the used food grade soy sauce buckets for $1.50 can verses the $12.00 can for my first black hydro buckets....cheers....

PS - 100 buckets and running....lol
righand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2017   #32
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...and its extremely expensive here in New Zealand ...For 3 years now I have used an absorbant wipe cloth ($1.70 for two) as capilary mets ...i am still using them cause I have found nothing better but my system is not clean and thats why my main aim especially for my big drums is to keep the water refreshed and the reservoir clean ..whether I will be successful remains to be seen...I am presently trying to fit a rear screen door on my greenhouse and I am getting really wild with it after 2 days...But I think I might have it good enough ....

Cheers Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2017   #33
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Righand I am glad you found this thread. I was just going to post a link to your thread suggesting that he look at what you are doing.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...246#post613246

Ron, when you get time, take a look at this. Then look at the whole thread. He is growing tomatoes indoors off-season and is doing a great job.
Old January 24, 2017   #34
righand
Tomatovillian™

I set my brother up with a tomato bucket unit on Dec. 26/16 and he sent me a pic yesterday....real nice....going to set him up with a 4 light system on Sunday....cheers....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0401.jpg (288.7 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0498.jpg (369.8 KB, 114 views)
righand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #35
2gengh
Tomatovillian™

Sham Wow? I just bought a bunch to use as wicking.
2gengh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2017   #36
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Could this work?

Hi...I no longer believe watering from underneath from a tray is healthy for my plants because of disease....I am at present cleaning and setting everything up for the 2017/18 season down under...
and some form of self watering is on my mind......
I am wondering if a simple water container on the side of my washing machine drums (which I use as a planter) with a wick in the container taking water "Over the top into the soil" and down into the soil.... the container would be easily refillable and if required I could clean the container ..

I wonder if anybody sees a problem with this...Thanks Mk..
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2017   #37
2gengh
Tomatovillian™

Default Wicking

I bought all grow bags for this season and used a wicking system with cotton strips.
THAT WAS A FAILURE! The wicks rotted and fell into the gutters. Made a mess! I am in process of clearing things out. The wicks up in the pots kept the bags too wet. I am fixing to experiment with net pots. I think with the wick up in the bag 1/3 of the way kept the soil too wet. The net pot will set in the gutter and hopefully will not cause the bottom of the bag to become water soaked. I will be planting a few things in the next few weeks to test this. I am hopeful.
2gengh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2017   #38
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Still best idea, ever. Working on a similar project. Can't wait to see the microfibre towel do it's thing.
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote