Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 26, 2006   #1
housemouse
Tomatovillian™

Default Which one of these?

I need advice on which of two "early" tomatoes might do best here in the "lake-effect" region of Western NY.

I have my Moskvich (sp?) seeds, but am considering adding Stupice as an early variety. What are your opinions which has the better taste, and which would perform better.

I know taste is in the buds of the tester, but I have limited space, and want to make the most of it!

Johnny's used to carry Stupice, I think! Anyone know why it was dropped from the catalog?

Edited to add that I am growing other tasty varieties that you all have recommended, such as Brandywine (Johnny's is my seed source) but I am hoping for some reasonably edible early ones...
housemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2006   #2
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Stupice is great for the first of the season "slicer". It is better than store bought/ I have never grown Moscovich but some say it tastes better. I am growing Stupice, Kimberly, Silvery Fir Tree and Sophies Choice as my earlies this year and I added Early Girl to see why everyone says it is so bad.

Good Luck

Michael
MikeInCypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2006   #3
bully
Tomatovillian™

I'd go with the Moskovich

For me it wasn't that early girl was so bad but that it wasn't as good or as early as some would say...in my zone
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2006   #4
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

I've grown both here in the PNW and if I can find an extra pot I will grow the Moskvich again this year. It was much better IMO. Stupice was OK though.
Old February 27, 2006   #5
housemouse
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the thumbs up on the Moskovich. I am so eager for the right time to plant here, and it seems so far away!

:::sighing:::
housemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #6
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Stupice did really well here, very productive, but Siberia was earlier. Good determinate tomato while you're waiting for the others. The earliest I had was Schelkovsky, though, and I'm a huge fan of that. The last two are perfectly happy in 5 gallon buckets which enabled me to start them earlier than the others and I carted them outside on the nice days and brought them in at night.

Barb
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2006   #7
Earl
Tomatovillian™

One of my better early types last year was Moscvich which I got from Andrey 2-3 years ago. It could be same as Moskovich or etc. spelling. I've got 3 seedlings going now.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote