Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 20, 2017   #1
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Brad's Atomic Grape

Anyone else growing it?

Not my favorite leaf type - Wispy (b/c I have a LOT of wind) - but these taste way better than they look.

I'm actually amazed how good they taste and so is everyone that I gave them to.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #2
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Definitely had the taste when I sampled it last season and looks are second to none. I agree the wispy foliage can be challenging, especially with the potential fruit set for this variety. I've got 6 plants at home ready for the ground.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have it for the first time, and I'm looking forward to it.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #4
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I started 12 plants, gave 3 away, will probably grow 6. My first year growing them.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #5
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I got a whole lot of Brad's new stuff this year including Atomic Grape. Sounds great.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I am a little confused - is it a Green When Ripe tomato? I never saw blue on the tomatoes either. It tastes really good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0087.JPG (50.3 KB, 328 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #7
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I am a little confused - is it a Green When Ripe tomato? I never saw blue on the tomatoes either. It tastes really good.
Think Lucky Tiger. Considered more of a Tri-color. The red is more pronounced the riper they get. I can see what looks like some Antho speckling on that skin, and what looks link antho in the skin of that cut piece. Hard to tell in that picture. Could also be some segregation happening still. Brad typically recommends selecting seeds from the darkest fruit. The more I look at your picture Salt, the more I think it just wasn't fully ripe.

Here is a few different selections at different stages of ripeness and some with/without antho. 1, 3 and 5 are Brads Atomic grape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160904_110555.jpg (67.4 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg 20160904_110512.jpg (67.3 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by Hunt-Grow-Cook; June 13, 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old June 13, 2017   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I had seedlings of this to plant but somehow didnt and when I found them they were so crappy i didnt want to plant them. Now I'm sorry I didn't. I figured it would be pretty but taste just ok, seems I had it backwards.

Wow HGC the pinkish colored look just like pink tiger, crazy how much difference your getting. Kinda cool though, mixed baskets from one plant.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #9
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I had seedlings of this to plant but somehow didnt and when I found them they were so crappy i didnt want to plant them. Now I'm sorry I didn't. I figured it would be pretty but taste just ok, seems I had it backwards.

Wow HGC the pinkish colored look just like pink tiger, crazy how much difference your getting. Kinda cool though, mixed baskets from one plant.
It looks dead on to Pink tiger which made me check my notes, those really pointy pinkish ones are actually Candy Sweet Icicle. My apologies for the confusion. 1, 3 and 5 are infact Brad's Atomic grape. And to clarify those were picked from Brads plants, not my own. I am growing seeds from those fruit.

The picture listed at Baker Creek was taken on the spot while I was there. You can see some variance in shape and color on the same truss. I have no clue what generation these are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WILD-BOAR-FARMS-BRADS-ATOMIC-GRAPE-2.jpg (152.4 KB, 313 views)
Old June 13, 2017   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There are some other positive things about Brad's Atomic Grape I can tell from experience. It is planted out in a raised bed where there were 6 other variety plants near it. All 6 of those plants have been removed due to Fusarium and RKN. Brad's Atomic Grape is still looking good. It is also loaded with tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0088.JPG (93.5 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0090.JPG (79.6 KB, 301 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #11
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

We've had one ripe fruit off of the plant in the shadehouse, and many more close to ripening.

I too was surprised at the color, as it was all GWR. I left it on the counter for a couple of days, but it started getting mushy and it was still solid green flesh.
It, along with most of the others, had/have blue shoulders, stripes, and was the size of a roma tomato. I'm going to reserve flavor opinions until I've sampled a couple more tomatoes.

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #12
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Seasonwise, I'm way behind most of you. We just got our tomatoes planted last week. But while watering them over the weekend, I noticed several of the new WBF varieties have quite a bit of antho in the plants. I wasn't expecting that. We'll see what we get in the fruit.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #13
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

re: challenging wispy foliage?
I'm in 5b and we certainly have our share of summer storms, but haven't had any more problems (that I've recognized) with wispy foliage. I don't understand the issue. Are they thinner and tear more easily? The fact that they are narrow (width) and sparse doesn't seem like it would be an issue. Maybe I don't understand the "wispy" part?
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #14
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

I found some yummy Brad's Atomic Grapes after several confusing harvests. Each of the fruits in the photo is very representative of the fruit from three different plants. The far right tomato was absolutely delicious (same as bottom right) and probably most representative of the intended release. All plants have been prolific. There appears to be a bit of size, shape, color and flavor variation.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Whippoorwill Gardens

Last edited by WhippoorwillG; July 18, 2017 at 08:00 AM.
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #15
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I've got 5 plants that made the cut, one is throwing large saladete sized grapes. not a fan of the leaves, plants look sick but they are not. Haven't eaten any yet, should have some ripe next week.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote