Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 13, 2017   #1
giblet
Tomatovillian™

Default What happened to my tomato?

This *was* my healthiest plant, planted mid-October translated the first week of November. The tomatoes are big and were just about to start ripening.

For the last week or so the plant has been drooping every day, starting early in the day and not perking up again until around dusk. The first day it did this I put a shadecloth over the plant, but it was still droopy during the day. Then, yesterday, it drooped even more during the day and didn't come back once it got dark and is now in the sorry state you see here.

The variety is Tycoon, which is supposed to be resistant to almost everything and be able to handle hot temperatures.

Is this wilt? Too much heat? Temperatures here have been around 90 with 60% humidity.

And what should I do with it? Should I take the tomatoes off and hope they ripen up indoors? They haven't started changing color yet, unfortunately.
giblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2017   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Did the soil dry right out at any point during the hot spell?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2017   #3
giblet
Tomatovillian™

I don't think so, I've been pretty on top of watering. One issue is that the watering is inconsistent because we've been having random heavy rainfall that are unpredictable.

(So sometimes there might have been too much water)

Last edited by giblet; January 13, 2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old January 14, 2017   #4
giblet
Tomatovillian™

It's gotten worse. I am assuming I should pull this plant out. Do you agree? Unfortunately two more plants are showing signs of whatever this is. Is it possible this is from too much water?

The immature fruit is starting to wrinkle:

Old January 14, 2017   #5
Cheryl2017
Tomatovillian™

Would be interesting to see what the roots look like
Cheryl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2017   #6
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Awww. Sad. You have my condolences.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2017   #7
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Pull it, inspect the roots, slice the stem and investigate. One of the wilts is afflicting your plants, my $ is on bacterial because of how generalized it is, and because its spreading, and the heat + wet being factors. Tough break.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2017   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Wilt Diseases
of Tomatoes

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0797/ANR-0797.pdf
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2017   #9
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

+1 on bacterial wilt.

My Cherokee Purples went down suddenly in Aug, which is the height of tomato harvest for me, this past year and looked exactly like that. Started with the youngest leaves being "soft" in hot weather, then the whole plant suddenly wilted and wouldn't recover at night.

Although I didn't get the diagnostic white ooze, BW was the most likely culprit given the rapid collapse of the plant without a lot of yellowing/browning first and the fact that it happened during hot temps. It was in a new bed, too, which was strange.

Unfortunately, there aren't any varieties that are more than "somewhat" resistant to BW. This year, I may experiment with grafting plants onto resistant rootstock.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2017   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It looks just like when bacterial wilt takes down a tomato plant here. I know of nothing that will stop it once it starts.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2017   #11
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

IMO, the dead giveaway is the lack of discoloration before collapse. The entire plant stays green but just goes down. No pervasive yellowing, no real leaf lesions (unless another pest or disease is also present).

I believe BW is an established problem in SE Asia.
Old January 16, 2017   #12
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The last two year I have been using RST-04-106-T root stock for my grafting and have not had a single case of Bacterial Wilt with these grafts. The other root stock are not as lucky. This is just anecdotal so I'm not sure how strong a resistance it has but it does seem to have some at least so far. Be my luck this year BW will take down half of them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #13
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
The last two year I have been using RST-04-106-T root stock for my grafting and have not had a single case of Bacterial Wilt with these grafts. The other root stock are not as lucky. This is just anecdotal so I'm not sure how strong a resistance it has but it does seem to have some at least so far. Be my luck this year BW will take down half of them.

Bill
There's at least one study that backs up your observations. http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/.../47/5/621.full
Old January 17, 2017   #14
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I lost 40 plants last year to the same thing, I'd bet $ its Bacterial Wilt. It tends to hit right before or at the start of ripening.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #15
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I lost 40 plants last year to the same thing, I'd bet $ its Bacterial Wilt. It tends to hit right before or at the start of ripening.
I got to harvest the first big wave of fruit set (ripened on the vine) before the plants went down, but I'm a bit north of you. It happens when the soil gets warm enough for the bacteria to get happy. Where that is vis a vis harvest depends on geography and the kind of season you're having.