Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 1, 2017   #1
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Default First time starting seeds

Alright, so I plan on starting tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant indoors this weekend.
As the time draws nearer, I question myself more and more as to if I'm going about things right.

I'll start by telling my current plan:
I'm going to direct sow my peppers, eggplant, and tomatoe seeds into their respective cells in these Speedling trays- https://www.groworganic.com/speedlin...y-32-cell.html. I've got 2 trays and one tray would consist of pepper/ tomato while the other would be eggplant/ pepper.
Planned on sowing in moist Fox Farm Light Warrior Mix, covering the trays with a clear dry-cleaners bag, and waiting for the first seedlings to pop up and then remove cover and put under lights.

Is this the smartest/ most efficient system??
I've seen things like starting in coffee filters and such, and I'm wondering if my plan needs modifying.

If you need any more details or would like to know specific varieties I'll be starting, let me know.

Thanks!
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #2
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

good so far
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I like to use vermiculite as the top quarter inch or so, because it is like sand and will not crust over when dry. I use pro mix on the bottom to save money, a little Light Warrior on top of that, and then soak it to get it fully wet. I drop the seeds on top, add the vermiculite, and mist lightly with a squirt bottle. Then over the next 3-4 days, I mist the vermiculite again a few times a day. I do not use a dome. Some people do it that way. I am skeptical about my own ability to remove a cover at the right time. I sprout seeds under a 1000 watt metal halide light, so maybe that makes it easier.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #4
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget the following 4-5 sleepless nights of worrying...

The only issue i see is planting tomatoes and peppers together...
peppers can take 10-14 days to sprout or longer. Tomatoes are up, cover is off... the
pepper cells can dry out un-covered. Just be prepared to give them some squirts of
water.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #5
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Don't forget the following 4-5 sleepless nights of worrying...

The only issue i see is planting tomatoes and peppers together...
peppers can take 10-14 days to sprout or longer. Tomatoes are up, cover is off... the
pepper cells can dry out un-covered. Just be prepared to give them some squirts of
water.
Figured I could keep ungerminated sections covered with siran wrap
Old March 2, 2017   #6
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Yes, that is what i do.

I'm more laughing at myself. My alarm goes off at 4.15 am. I woke at 3 am and just had to go check on my starts. One tray that i started Feb 20 is finally filling out. I had 4-5 cells out of 36 that had no life until this morning. Ten days is a long time for tomatoes.
That puts that tray at 95%.

I've got 6 trays started plus multiple trays of micro greens in rotation so i have my hands full.
The only issue you might have is with the peppers lagging way behind, same with
eggplant...water requirements differ. As well as a bit of feeding. Toms like to dry out
once up and established, bottom watering. Your peppers will just be waking up
when your toms are far ahead...
With so few plants to really worry about i'm sure you'll be fine.
I just keep a spritzer handy and hit the individual cell that is lagging behind in germinating careful not to water-log the neighbors.

Those start trays are great BTW. They will last for years and easy to clean.

Last edited by oakley; March 2, 2017 at 04:43 AM.
Old March 2, 2017   #7
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The only issue you might have is with the peppers lagging way behind, same with
eggplant...water requirements differ. As well as a bit of feeding. Toms like to dry out
once up and established, bottom watering. Your peppers will just be waking up
when your toms are far ahead...
With so few plants to really worry about i'm sure you'll be fine.
I just keep a spritzer handy and hit the individual cell that is lagging behind in germinating careful not to water-log the neighbors..
I've thought this; it's my main concern. That's why I wondered about pre-sprouting peppers (and eggplant? Is that a thing?) to get them closer to being on par with their tomato tray-mates
Old March 2, 2017   #8
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Most people stagger their tom and pepper starts because toms will be ready to go our well before the peps are. But there is no necessity to do so. Pre-soaking is optional but seems to help germination rates.

Some people - most notably me - can't handle the uncertainty of sticking a tiny thing doing its level best to imitate a rock into some expensive dirt and waiting while trying not to gnaw one's knuckles. They want to see the rock pop first. Thus the wet baggie method. But if you can psychologically handle the wait, your method is fine.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2017   #9
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Yes, peppers are usually started 2-3 weeks before the toms. Slow growers. No problem starting at the same time with your long growing season. I would just consider your peppers and eggplants in one tray and tomatoes in the other.

I just started 60 tomato varieties a few days ago. Baggie germination first?

My pepper tray, one variety per row, had a couple germinate fast while others took another week...so i just covered the slower rows with strips of a zip-lock bag.
Attached Images
File Type: png pepper seed trays.png (790.3 KB, 121 views)
Old March 2, 2017   #10
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
would just consider your peppers and eggplants in one tray and tomatoes in the other.
The problem is the configuration of the numbers. Either peppers or eggplants will have to be in paired with the tomatoes.

Any suggestions as to whether I should put the eggplant or tomatoes with the peppers?
If peppers, would a certain type (hot, sweet, etc.) be better to pair with tomatoes?
Old March 2, 2017   #11
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Some people - most notably me - can't handle the uncertainty of sticking a tiny thing doing its level best to imitate a rock into some expensive dirt and waiting while trying not to gnaw one's knuckles. They want to see the rock pop first. Thus the wet baggie method. But if you can psychologically handle the wait, your method is fine.
Does it cut down on time, though? Does it provide a "safety net" (i.e. no damping off)?

I'm not going to claim I'm great at waiting for things to emerge.......

Last edited by ARgardener; March 2, 2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old March 2, 2017   #12
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARgardener View Post
If peppers, would a certain type (hot, sweet, etc.) be better to pair with tomatoes?
Can't speak to eggplant as I'm never grown it. Capsicum annuum generally starts and grows faster than C.chinense. ("Superhots" are generally C.chinense.) Annuums would prolly get along better with toms.

Quote:
Does [baggie method] cut down on time, though?
I wouldn't say so, unless you can apply heat with baggie and not with flat.

Quote:
Does it provide a "safety net" (i.e. no damping off)?
Yes and no. You can make a good percent of the "wet" H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) and keep the fungus from among us that way. But you can also inject into a starter cell. And the started seed gets moved into dirt anyway.

Through proper moisture management, there shouldn't be a danger of damping off. You'll learn that through experience.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2017   #13
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

After reading many posts on here, I think that starting my seeds in coffee filters will be the best way to get everything going at about the same time.
Old March 2, 2017   #14
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARgardener View Post
After reading many posts on here, I think that starting my seeds in coffee filters will be the best way to get everything going at about the same time.
Tomatoes take 4 -10 days Peppers take 7 -12 days ... sometimes longer (they like it hot)
Regardless of your method, peppers take longer! Sometimes a full 30 days and they will all of a sudden decide to come up (I personally give up after 12 days and reseed).
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2017   #15
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Eggplant seeds can take about as long as sweet/mild pepper seeds.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote