Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 8, 2013   #91
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
The galvanized T is a weight so the hose can be set on the ground without whipping all over and wetting all and sundry.
I wish we had that kind of water pressure. Our water company's lines has so many leaks that if i am not careful, i will get stuck in the front yard while mowing.
Sometimes it's hard to take a shower and wash a load of clothes at the same time. They're going to replace the lines shortly. I'll believe it when i see it happening.
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2013   #92
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

What a bumper year for fruit!

Our pear tree bore fruit for the first time and I can't keep up with all the windfalls. I cut them up and we eat them raw, but just cooking them slightly turns them into the most delectable desert!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2013   #93
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Juicing Apples

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?PTKKA 12 September 2013 Juicing Apples
Twenty pounds of McIntosh apples was made into juice thirteen litres of juice. Apples are just coming into season. The complete apple was utilized. Process was washed, cut into quarters, water added to cover, cooked, beat into a slurry, strained and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes.Pictures depict the process.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2013   #94
FaithHopeLove
Tomatovillian™

I purchased a couple apple trees from Lowes a couple years ago, this year was the first year they bloomed but no apples yet.

How long does it take for the apples to cook down?
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2013   #95
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithHopeLove View Post
I purchased a couple apple trees from Lowes a couple years ago, this year was the first year they bloomed but no apples yet.

How long does it take for the apples to cook down?
With my outdoor burner cooking time is about 15 minutes or close to it. If the heat is too high the bottom of the pot will burn slightly so one must be a bit cautious, and stir the bottom of the pot periodically. I have never had a serious burning problem but have had a tinge now and then.
Old September 16, 2013   #96
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Wow! That sounds like a ton of work!!!!

I'm just curious about the added water. I can see adding a little to facilitate cooking, but wouldn't a concentrate be a good idea and use up less of your storage conainers?

Linda (who has two young Beta grape vines which only yielded a small bowl of grapes.

Quote:
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QLLRO 16 September 2013 Concord Grape Juice.
A supplier of pick your own grapes was found on Kijiji. I drove to St. Catharines and picked two pristine bushels or about 75 pounds of Concord grapes.Cost was $20.00 per bushel. The grapes were made into 40 litres of juice about two pounds of grapes per litre. Method was to remove the grapes from the support substrate using a mesh. The grapes were cooked in three batches of about 25 pounds each. Five litres of water was added to the cooking pot to facilitate cooking and to thin the juice. After cooking about 15 minutes the grapes were beat into a slurry using the hand blender.The grapes were then strained using a food mill. The liquid was then placed in litre jars and pressure canned in batches of seven for long term storage. Pressure was 15 PSI for 15 minutes. Pictures depict the process.
Old September 16, 2013   #97
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QLLRO 16 September 2013 Concord Grape Juice.
A supplier of pick your own grapes was found on Kijiji. I drove to St. Catharines and picked two pristine bushels or about 75 pounds of Concord grapes.Cost was $20.00 per bushel. The grapes were made into 40 litres of juice about two pounds of grapes per litre. Method was to remove the grapes from the support substrate using a mesh. The grapes were cooked in three batches of about 25 pounds each. Five litres of water was added to the cooking pot to facilitate cooking and to thin the juice. After cooking about 15 minutes the grapes were beat into a slurry using the hand blender.The grapes were then strained using a food mill. The liquid was then placed in litre jars and pressure canned in batches of seven for long term storage. Pressure was 15 PSI for 15 minutes. Pictures depict the process.
Thanks for sharing

I have been given away my Concord Grapes to my neighbors & making Jelly. Know my Historical Muscadines are ready. I might make grape juice with them this year. They are the small blackish ones, grown my Natives Americas to make medication from. Please share any Ideals for my Muscadines.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2013   #98
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I use the same method of of "juicing" for almost all produce. The Concord are almost perfect. If water is not added the juice is too thick for drinking. Actually with practice, it has been found that covering most produce with water is about right. I have about four hundred containers of various material, and storage can get a bit miserable, since good records must be kept or the container open to see.

The grapes I canned this year are Concord, Sovereign Coronation, and Niagara. I had some Boca Noir but they didn't ripen evenly so I left them for the birds. I don't think one can go wrong canning any grapes. The process is simple. Also grape wine is touted to have certain health benefits, which canned grapes also have without the debilitating effects of the alcohol.
Old September 16, 2013   #99
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The Concord are almost perfect. If water is not added the juice is too thick for drinking..
This is probably a foreign concept for people here in NA, but when I was a kid in England, we used to buy all sorts of concentrated juice in screw-cap bottles, from orange to black current (Ribena). We would simply pour a small amount, say a couple of inches of concentrate into a glass and fill it up with water. My mother was especially stingy with the concentrate, and I remember thinking that the juice always tasted so much better at the homes of my friends, who's mothers were more generous.....

Linda
Old October 9, 2013   #100
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Pepper Vegetable Juice

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?IPFAA 9 October 2013 Pepper Vegetable Juice.
About six pounds of perfect peppers were made into nine litres of juice with some celery, kale, collards, and beets from my garden.The vegetables were cooked, beat into a slurry with a hand blender, strained through the food mill and the Champion juicer.The juice was poured into litre jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage.Pictures depict the process.
Old October 10, 2013   #101
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Carrot Juice

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HEGVQ 10 October 2013 Carrot Juice.
Seven pounds of carrots and one celery plant was made into seven litres of juice.The carrots were cut into small piece as was the celery and cooked until soft, blended into a slurry and stained. There is almost no liquid in carrots so about seven litres of water was added. There was no gross fibre residue so straining was not really necessary.The juice was placed in litre jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes.A friend was cleaning his garden and gave me the perfect carrots and celery. I couldn’t resist.
Old October 16, 2013   #102
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I use to eat two pounds of sugar per week, then I saw the light and simply quit buying the stuff. After a couple of months I could eat anything without sugar.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...umption-2012-2
Per-capita US sugar consumption over the past two centuries.
Old February 18, 2014   #103
northernimpala
Tomatovillian™

this sounds so good, I don't have a pressure canner so can I freeze this?
northernimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #104
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Freezing should be a viable alternative preserving method. I imagine for preserving the blended products, freezing is as good as canning.

I pressure can so I don't have tw consider the pH and don't have to add anything to my product. Also the product is stored at room temperature without danger of spoiling.
Old February 20, 2014   #105
northernimpala
Tomatovillian™

thank you for the response, I see that you use the pressure canner for almost everything, are they costly and where can I get one?
northernimpala is offline   Reply With Quote