Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old October 27, 2013   #1
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

Default chicken manure vs 10-10-10 thought

I have a lot of chickens......60 plus the broilers
You know how they use the chemical fertilizers like 13-13-13 or 10-10-10 in the Earthbox, global buckets, earthtainers in a "fertilizer strip".... Well, I can't find a deffinate answer as to why you can or cannot use "dried chicken manure" the same way.
Regular chemical fertilizers are put in a strip away from the plant base so it does not burn the plant while it is slowly pulled into the soil by moisture to give the plant nutrients.
Wouldn't dried chicken manure do the same thing?

Carolyn
CarolynPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2013   #2
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I can only answer from my own experience. In Finland, chicken manure is commonly used for gardening... it's sold wherever garden supplies are available. Often it's mixed with sea kelp.
Yes, it is adviced to push it in the sides of the container when planting a seedling, so the fragile newbie roots wouldn't be burned by it. Or, the manure is mixed with water and used as liquid fertilizer.
If you have manure from your own chickens, just make sure they are all healthy.... in order to avoid any salmonella danger. If you have a commercial farm, and use antibiotics, I'd be concerned about them passing on to manure and to the plants - with organic chickens, there of course isn't such an issue.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2013   #3
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

My chickens were suppose to be tested this past Friday but it looks like it will be early week before that happens. The chickens look and act healthy but I just wanted to make sure. (NPIP)
I'm not commercial and haven't used antibiotics

Carolyn
Old October 27, 2013   #4
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

If you have loads of 'poo' from healthy chickens, you're a very lucky gardener. That stuff is stinky (even when dry), but really makes everything grow.
Old February 23, 2014   #5
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
If you have loads of 'poo' from healthy chickens, you're a very lucky gardener. That stuff is stinky (even when dry), but really makes everything grow.
Stinky is right! We had a neighbor when we lived on Long Island (New York) who used to get a truckload delivered when he was starting his garden each spring. Stunk up the neighborhood until he got it mixed in with his soil.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2013   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

In the Book Nature Farming and Microbial Applications a test was performed measuring sugars and organic acids in ripe tomato fruit from different fertilization treatments to include Chicken Manure, Organic (Bokashi) and chemical fertilizer. The chicken manure crop had the highest sugar content and the chemical fertilizer had the lowest amount of sugar content.

Ami
Old October 27, 2013   #7
beeman
Tomatovillian™

I do remember reading an article, some time ago, which stated that chicken poo should be composted before use. Seems it is a strong Nitrogen source it will do damage if used directly. I would play safe, pile it for a year along with the regular compost.
Lucky you, to have such a problem.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2013   #8
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
In the Book Nature Farming and Microbial Applications a test was performed measuring sugars and organic acids in ripe tomato fruit from different fertilization treatments to include Chicken Manure, Organic (Bokashi) and chemical fertilizer. The chicken manure crop had the highest sugar content and the chemical fertilizer had the lowest amount of sugar content.
Ami
Interesting. Was there any mention of horsemanure?
I've used both, and will probably use them again next year - not in the same containers, though.

Last edited by NarnianGarden; October 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old February 26, 2014   #9
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Ami
Well, the high sugar probably makes for a tastier tomato, but, as a diabetic, that isn't the best news lol! I'm using chemical fertilizer so I guess I'll have more diabetic friendly tomatoes.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2013   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Dried chicken manure is "hot" ( there is a lot of urea in it and it will smell like ammonia). If you use too much you will burn your plants. If they are small it will kill them. I accidentally put too much on a couple of trays of plants in my greenhouse last spring and killed a few new seedling batches. I was so disgusted with myself, but I didn't realize it was so potent.. So my advice is to use it sparingly.
Old October 27, 2013   #11
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Ami
I know that organic fertilization increases the BRIX level in fruit, but did they say why chicken manure in particular increased sugars and organic acids the highest in the tomato fruit? I'm just curious as to how that chicken manure magic happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Dried chicken manure is "hot" ( there is a lot of urea in it and it will smell like ammonia). If you use too much you will burn your plants. If they are small it will kill them. I accidentally put too much on a couple of trays of plants in my greenhouse last spring and killed a few new seedling batches. I was so disgusted with myself, but I didn't realize it was so potent.. So my advice is to use it sparingly.
The way I understand it from what I've read is that fresh chicken manure has a neutral PH and the bacteria that are most active at that PH produce enzymes that convert the urea and uric acid to ammonia. Since Ammonia (NH3) is a gas, a great deal of the N from the manure is being lost to the atmosphere.
If the manure is incorporated into a more acidic soil or a compost pile with more acidic components then a different set of bacteria are more active and convert the urea to ammonium (NH4)
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2013   #12
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

my opinion is that manure of all kinds is excellent fertilizer and source of organic matter once it has been properly composted. I would personally never use fresh or dried non-composted manure, chicken or otherwise, in my garden or on my plants. Not only for the reasons mentioned above like the potential to "burn" plants from high ammonia concentrations but for the possibility of contamination by fecal bacteria that would be killed by proper composting. Fecal colifirms on greens like lettuce and spinach have become a leading cause of food poisoning.

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dm...ruit/fresh.htm

KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; October 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2013   #13
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for all the information and opinions.
I will compost.

Carolyn
Old February 23, 2014   #14
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Chicken Manure is really "hot" because of the urea in it (chickens don't pee, it's an all-in-one kind of deal.) I would pile it, soak it, turn it and do this a lot of times. If it is too hot, it can really fry roots/plants. I have used 10 year old composted horse manure for all of my gardening life. Now that I am in Mexico, it's burro manure. That said, we grew our own hay on our ranch in Wyoming and there was little if any weed seed in it. My burro manure in Mexico does have some weed seed but not enough to make me manic.

Cow manure is awfully hot also. The best is goat or rabbit. I had a friend who was a famous Iris hybridizer and he would drive 100 miles to get goat poo.

The secret to all of these is composting...fries weed seeds, leaches out urea or other stuff you don't want and it is usually free and plentiful. I swear on my Mother's grave I have never used a commercial fertilizer on my garden in my life.

The other benefit is that all composted manures really help your soil, lightening heavy soil and providing water retention for sandy soils. My tomato beds (and I have a lot...) are basically what were 4 foot deep compost piles, spread out and rototilled unto death.
Old February 23, 2014   #15
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I grow in Earthboxes. Manures of all types are not advised as they work against the necessary wicking action of the growing media and ultimately turn it to muck, defeating the system.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote