Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 24, 2018   #16
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
Welcome to the Blue Ridge Mountains! We live in Floyd. Haven't had much of a raccoon problem here, just groundhogs and deer.

Tom
Tom,

I saw your fencing on your picture of garlic. Is your fence high enough to keep deer out?

I'm currently using Tenax 7 foot fencing but our deer are so small here - not sure I need that much height.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #17
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzelu100 View Post
We were out by SML lake. Now we are in the Roanoke mountain area. We love going to Floyd. Beautiful out there. Ground hogs are real bad where I am now. We are probably going to put chicken wire underneath the whole raised bed garden to keep them out. Putting a high fence up to keep deer out.
I live in Vinton which is between Roanoke and SML. Like Tom, my main garden problems are groundhogs. I have a 6' Fence around my garden which keeps the deer out, but the groundhogs go under the fence. You will find the ground very good for gardens, although many areas around SML have a lot of red clay. Although you will get some very warm days in March & April, don't be tempted to put tomatoes out too early, we got a freeze on May 2 two years ago. Good luck with your garden this year.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #18
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

My fence is also only six feet, which deer can jump but I have not had a deer problem, only groundhogs digging under. They make good target practice.

Tom
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #19
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Our "groundhogs" to the east mainly take to the trees!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new in gardening