Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 18, 2018   #16
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Blush & Maglia Rosa both do well in pots here, I live in So Bay area of L.A., a few miles from the coast. Sungold of course if you want a good cherry. Captain Lucky,Copper River & Momotaro were also good in pots here, that I can remember.
What were you thinking of growing?
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #17
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

I have a little baggie I made up with about 20 different varieties that I narrowed it down to - of course sunsugar, big beef, esterina f1, 2 of dfollett's micros, bulgarian triumph, pink ping pong, japanese pink cherry, and a few more. I'll start most of them in the next few weeks and see which ones make it. I usually just end up with a handful that survive everything going on. I've even had people come onto my patio in the past and just grab a plant or two. It's just crazy here since I live along a very busy area with a lot of foot traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Blush & Maglia Rosa both do well in pots here, I live in So Bay area of L.A., a few miles from the coast. Sungold of course if you want a good cherry. Captain Lucky,Copper River & Momotaro were also good in pots here, that I can remember.
What were you thinking of growing?
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #18
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Hey Gardeninglee, have you thought about growing some green-when-ripes? Passers-by wouldn't know that they weren't ripe, so perhaps they wouldn't pinch the fruit. Not that they wouldn't pinch the plants though - how awful!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #19
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

That is ingenious!! People have always left the tomatoes that are green alone. I do have seeds for esmeralda golosina so I will start lots of those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Hey Gardeninglee, have you thought about growing some green-when-ripes? Passers-by wouldn't know that they weren't ripe, so perhaps they wouldn't pinch the fruit. Not that they wouldn't pinch the plants though - how awful!

Linda
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have been learning from this thread. I didn't know about the fertilizer part growing in containers.

Lime Green Salad is one to think about if you still have time. I have read a lot of good reviews about it, but I cannot offer first-hand knowledge - nor seeds because I don't have any. Here's Tania's info http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Lime_Green_Salad the info is pretty cool and worth reading.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #21
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I now grow exclusively in raised beds but back before I started grafting and was trying to figure out how to beat the soil diseases that are so bad here I grew quite a few tomatoes in containers. I too found that fertilization on a regular basis made a big difference in the taste of the ripe tomatoes when grown in containers. When I discovered Texas Tomato Food and started using it weekly the taste and production took a dramatic tic upwards. Over watering and letting the ph get too high will definitely result in more bland tasting fruits. While over watering is bad, letting the container dry out too much will result in blossom drop and few fruits. Maintaining all of those is a balancing act that requires regular and constant care which can be a lot of work in a hot climate. I find growing in raised beds much easier and much more successful than container growing in my climate.

I am also one who only likes well balanced rich tasting tomatoes with some sweet and tang so my list of tomatoes that meet my particular tastes has gotten smaller and smaller over the years. There are many varieties that are just bland and for me nearly tasteless. I also don't like the tomatoes that are too sweet or too tart. Just because a tomato is an heirloom doesn't mean it will taste particularly good so experiment with different varieties each year until you find the ones that suit your taste and growing conditions.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote