Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old March 19, 2016   #1
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone else worried about the sudden cold snap?

Just wondering if anyone else is making preparations for their GH heating needs? Earlier today I put 2 propane heaters in mine. Both are radiant, which I understand Blue Flame is better. Right now, I have no choice. I already had the heaters, just in case of a power outage.

One heater is a Dyna Glo brand, disc style propane heater. The other is a Mr heater "Big Buddy" heater. Both are running off of individual 20 lb tanks. Both set to "medium". I have one at either end of the GH.

All small seedlings in the 4 inch pots were moved back into my house. The 88 transplanted tomatoes obviously have to stay in the GH. Hopefully none succumb to the cold weather.

Supposed to have overnight lows near freezing. Tonight, 39. Next 2 nights 34. Last year we had a similar cold snap come along, I used heat lamps to keep everything going. Lost only a couple of plants.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #2
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like you are in good shape. Hope it all goes smoothly for you!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #3
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I use a Big Buddy to heat my cabin up quick, then the Mitsubishi heat pumps and fireplace kick in. They are good units, but you need to buy the $25 AC adapter or it eats D cell batteries running the fan.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

As long as it doesnt freeze inside your greenhouse all will be well. I routinely have plants in a greenhouse at -10 Celsius with just a small heater. It easily keeps the interior above zero.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #5
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Well, as it is now, it got down to 41. I haven't been out to the GH yet. As the sun rises the temp will probably drop a couple degrees. So all should be good. Hopefully the Sun comes out today, because the high is only supposed to be around 44.
Old March 20, 2016   #6
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Some folks use a remote (wireless) thermometer to keep track of temps in a nearby greenhouse without going out (and opening the door!). You can even get one with an alarm to let you know if it dips below a set temp. That might help you feel better about things!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #7
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Some folks use a remote (wireless) thermometer to keep track of temps in a nearby greenhouse without going out (and opening the door!). You can even get one with an alarm to let you know if it dips below a set temp. That might help you feel better about things!
Unfortunately my GH is too far away. I have to wireless thermos. and neither will work. I have been looking for something blue tooth related. That would be useful.

On a positive note, at the break of daylight I went out there and lo and behold it was 60 degrees, according to the digital thermostat that controls the fan. The heaters earned their keep. A few plants in the middle have their leaves turned down a bit. Im assuming they will snap out of it.
Old March 20, 2016   #8
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Excellent!
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

There you go. Good job. 60 is a perfect night temp anyway.
KarenO
Old March 21, 2016   #10
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

An update. I discovered that my new "Accu-Rite" weather station will work with my GH. I put fresh batteries in the transmitter and that seemed to help. I would imagine though, that it has to be on the threshold of how far I can transmit the signal.

Looks like last night dipped to about 33 degrees. The propane heaters kept the GH at about 48. Not quiet 60, but that will do just fine. I checked out the tomatoes earlier and all is good.

Unlike yesterday, the sun is shining. My guess its going to warm, quite fast. Matter of fact, since I started typing this, the temp has went up 2 degrees.
Old March 22, 2016   #11
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Another update. Last night they predicted it was going to be the coldest of the 3 nights. When I fired up the heaters I decided to take no chances, both were set on "high". Between the 2 heaters, a total of 33000 btus of heat.

It dipped down to 31. The GH stayed right at 50. I can live with that.
Old March 22, 2016   #12
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I likes the success stories. You were ready.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #13
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
I likes the success stories. You were ready.
Thanks. Believe me, potentially losing 88 transplanted tomatoes was NOT in my wheel house.

I also took this opportunity to educate myself about the heat requirements of my greenhouse. I am seriously considering starting earlier next year. I would like to add an extra month, or so. Ideally if I could transition my seedlings into the GH around mid February that would be spectacular. I have started to put together a rough idea of propane use for heat.
Old March 22, 2016   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
As long as it doesnt freeze inside your greenhouse all will be well.
I agree. I don't use heat unless the predicted low is about 35 or so. That gives room for error in the forecasting, plus allows for the freak circumstances when the greenhouse can actually dip below the outside temperature.

I made low tunnel-style hoops over my benches and covered that with plastic, then put the heater under that. It is a big improvement for me, when I reduce the area that I am trying to heat.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I agree. I don't use heat unless the predicted low is about 35 or so. That gives room for error in the forecasting, plus allows for the freak circumstances when the greenhouse can actually dip below the outside temperature.

I made low tunnel-style hoops over my benches and covered that with plastic, then put the heater under that. It is a big improvement for me, when I reduce the area that I am trying to heat.
Another method I have used is to hang plastic floor to ceiling and create a smaller "room" toward the back of the greenhouse when seedlings are small and heat that instead of the whole thing. This creates a cozy environment that is easy to heat with what I use which is just a 1500 watt ceramic heater. stays cozy on the coldest nights. Raising the trays up unto benches and not placing things on the floor is important too when it is really cold. The temp difference between floor and bench is easily 10 degrees in my double wall greenhouse in early spring when the ground is still very cold.
Moving to Vancouver Island and leaving my little greenhouse behind soon. Makes me a little sad as I have loved it and had so much fun with it. Looking forward to starting over and learning new ways in a much different climate.

Karen O