Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old May 16, 2015   #31
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Nice tip, Dawn! I like the La Crosse products, I have had no trouble with the two I have now, unlike another brand name. Since my greenhouse is quite far from the house, I need the broadcasting signal to be very strong, also half of the greenhouse is lined with reflective space blankets at night which might also degrade the signal. I see the one you are using is rated for 200 ft, mine current one is 330 ft. But I think I may give yours a try, the price is right!

I also keep a temporary pop-up cold frame on my deck during March and part of April, and only use it during sunny daylight hours after my seeds first come up, before I start up the greenhouse, (which involves walking up and down a snow covered slippery hill.) Seedlings in the deck cold frame come back in at night and on cold cloudy days under lights. If the sensor doesn't broadcast well from the greenhouse, I can always use it in the cold frame.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Nice tip, Dawn! I like the La Crosse products, I have had no trouble with the two I have now, unlike another brand name. Since my greenhouse is quite far from the house, I need the broadcasting signal to be very strong, also half of the greenhouse is lined with reflective space blankets at night which might also degrade the signal. I see the one you are using is rated for 200 ft, mine current one is 330 ft. But I think I may give yours a try, the price is right!

I also keep a temporary pop-up cold frame on my deck during March and part of April, and only use it during sunny daylight hours after my seeds first come up, before I start up the greenhouse, (which involves walking up and down a snow covered slippery hill.) Seedlings in the deck cold frame come back in at night and on cold cloudy days under lights. If the sensor doesn't broadcast well from the greenhouse, I can always use it in the cold frame.
If it doesn't work for you the one I concocted will go 700 feet.

I hope it works.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #33
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Hee, hee! Worth, I so much appreciate you taking the time to diagram everything out for me, but I MUST try the easy way out first! 700 ft is a wow factor to me, and will be top of the line, should I pursue that option.

Now back to weeding my pre-planting beds before the next 3 days of rain starts in again. Sigh.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote