Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 4, 2015   #16
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I plant pretty much everything as transplants, including things the "experts" say should be direct seeded. Some things you need to be more careful with, but everything has always done just fine. Garlic and shallots are the only things that I don't start indoors.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #17
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I plant pretty much everything as transplants, including things the "experts" say should be direct seeded. Some things you need to be more careful with, but everything has always done just fine. Garlic and shallots are the only things that I don't start indoors.

I too start pretty much everything, but I use soil blocks. The only thing that was an epic fail was carrots. But other root veggies, like beets and turnips, transplant just dandy.
Old February 10, 2015   #18
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I sometimes start carrots indoors in winter just because they take forever to sprout in cold soil. In a warm spot indoors, they will be up in a week. In 50 degree soil it takes forever.
I fill a 1 gal nursery container with an extra scoop of perlite in the starting mix, and seed it quite heavily. When the first true leaf starts growing, get them in the garden. I carefully dump them out and separate them and carefully plant them bareroot. Make sure the lil taproot is straight!
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #19
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
I too start pretty much everything, but I use soil blocks. The only thing that was an epic fail was carrots. But other root veggies, like beets and turnips, transplant just dandy.
Care to tell why the carrots were an 'epic fail'. I am trying my 'roots' in soil blocks this year, so am anxious to hear of success and failures.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #20
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Yep it sure helps
Not sure my wife appreciates my set up in the dining room
Your castle is your domain... don't tell your wife that though!!!

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote