Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 30, 2015   #16
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
I have tomato seeds from 2005 which I would like to plant this week. Following the instructions above, I placed them in warm water with a pinch of MG. They sunk immediately. How long should I let them soak? Or should I not soak them, if they sink? I have about 30 seeds and am only soaking 3, just in case I'm doing it wrong.
Donna... I could be wrong, and maybe somebody else will step in, but if they sank to the bottom, I would get them out of the water and planted before they get water logged and rot.

Did you try sowing a few to see if they even needed any kind of treatment? I just sprout a bunch of 2007 and 2009 seed right along some 2013 and the older seeds came up faster than the newer seeds without any treatment.

Last edited by Starlight; March 30, 2015 at 10:14 PM. Reason: date
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015   #17
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

No, not yet. I was just given a few varieties from someone who never grew them. They are already planted. Hopefully, they will sprout and I can keep new seed.

Thanks.

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Donna... I could be wrong, and maybe somebody else will step in, but if they sank to the bottom, I would get them out of the water and planted before they get water logged and rot.

Did you try sowing a few to see if they even needed any kind of treatment? I just sprout a bunch of 2077 and 2009 seed right along some 2013 and the older seeds came up faster than the newer seeds without any treatment.
Donna M. I don't know if you are referring to what I normally do with older seeds, but if you are, and these would be my own saved seeds. Up to 5 yo I would sow normally, from about 5 to 10 years I would double sow if I had enough seeds, and you do, only above about 10 years would I treat the seeds.

And I'll also share with you that I never would treat just 3 seeds if I had as many as you have.

Starlight, congrats on germinating those 2077 seeds, far better than my getting up 22 yo seeds of September Dawn.

Carolyn
Old March 30, 2015   #19
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Starlight, congrats on germinating those 2077 seeds, far better than my getting up 22 yo seeds of September Dawn.

Carolyn
Thanks, I corrected the year. Would be nice if we was around in that year. Makes you wonder what the future of tomatoes and tomato growers will be like.

Star who thinks September Dawn is a beautiful name for a tomato.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote