Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 9, 2006   #1
cmpman1974
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Seed Starting Time

I live in zone 6B (SE Michigan). I decided I am starting my tomato seeds April 1st this year. Last frost is 5/15. Last year I jumped the gun and had to transplant nearly all into 4" pots. I don't have the room or time to do that this year so I am hoping 6-8 weeks of growth (assuming late May or early June plant out time after hardening off) will allow me to keep them in 48 ct trays (1 regular flat). We'll see.

Chris
cmpman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2006   #2
Emaewest
Tomatovillian™

Hi Chris!

I'll be starting mine the first of April, too. Our average last frost date is about the same as yours, and I hope to plant them out the first week of June.

I've tried starting earlier, contrary to the advice I was given (I'm contrary by nature. :wink: ) I just find it so hard to wait!

"Some people have a way with words, and other people... not have way." ---Steve Martin
Emaewest is offline   Reply With Quote