Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old February 18, 2012   #76
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

Our local farmer's market sells pickled garlic. We tried it and are now addicted to it.
It makes a great any-time snack and, according to my wife, it is very good for you.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2012   #77
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

we pickle our own - we use Kung Pao or cayenne peppers and a bit of sugar & pickling salt in 1/2 distilled water & 1/2 white vinegar. they are FABULOUS! We hot water bath process them but they stay crunchy delicious - very morish for snacking & great in cooking.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #78
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

Garlic I love it pickled I also oil pack a few cases half olive oil & half distilled vinegar. I love this mix... yum... garlic i don't even want to be around people that don't love garlic...lol just like stormymater I add a pepper to it. there awesome

Last edited by dustyrivergarden; October 14, 2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: changed recipe
dustyrivergarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #79
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyM View Post
Try adding a Dash of Turmeric to your pickled peppers. It not only adds flavor, but kicks in as an added preservative.

I'm Tomato-Ly Yours,
Penny
does anyone have or know where you can get seeds for the curcuma longa plant which is the source of turmeric? jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2012   #80
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Jon, I don't know where to get seeds for turmeric, but you should be able to get rhizomes in the fresh produce section of an Asian grocery store, if you have access to that, and (with patience) start plants from those, just as you might with fresh ginger.
Old February 29, 2012   #81
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwort View Post
Jon, I don't know where to get seeds for turmeric, but you should be able to get rhizomes in the fresh produce section of an Asian grocery store, if you have access to that, and (with patience) start plants from those, just as you might with fresh ginger.
thanks for the quick reply. we do not have an asian store here but the next time i am in memphis i can check there. jon
Old October 6, 2012   #82
Lilith
Tomatovillian™

Default Help Please - Ideas Needed

I've planned on trying pickled garlic this year, and think that this weekend will be a good time to give it a try. Since we had our first frost last night, I believe the tomato season is finally over.

So off I go to happily preserve my garlic and green tomatoes I picked yesterday afternoon. By the way, I picked a ton of green grape-sized tomatoes (Tami-G) yesterday in anticipation of the frost, so now what can I do with them? I was thinking perhaps pickling might work but I have so many larger green tomatoes to pickle. I'm open to any ideas!
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2012   #83
Sundrops
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone have a special recipe they would share? I have lots of garlic that may go to waste if I don't do something about it.

Thanks much.

Sundrops
Sundrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2012   #84
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I don't know how special it is. But I make something I personally really like with Garlic. Peal several cloves of garlic but leave them whole. (about a cup) And pull the plastic flow spout off the empty end of a extra virgin olive oil bottle. Fill the bottle 1/2 full of Garlic cloves and 1/2 full of hot peppers. Pour Balsamic vinegar and salt over the whole thing and cap. I never actually use the garlic or the peppers, but I use the vinegar as a seasoning. Better than Tabasco once it ages a bit.

*WARNING*
This recipe has not been approved by the food police. Please use whatever canning method has been approved for your state or country. This recipe is intended only to serve as an ingredients suggestion, not as a canning or preservation method.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; October 16, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2012   #85
Lilith
Tomatovillian™

I'm unsure how tasty the pickled garlic will be (I haven't tried it yet), but I had good results with the recipe for Pickled Garlic in the Ball Blue Book, page 56. As far as the recipe goes, it was easy and quick to complete.

The Blue Book recipe goes as follows:
Yield: about 6 half-pints

6 cups Peeled cloves of garlic
1 cup Sugar
1 tsp Ball salt
3 cups Vinegar
Ball pickle Crisp (optional)

Blanch garlic in boiling water for 1 minute. Combine sugar, salt, and vinegar in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil. Pack hot garlic into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Add Pickle Crisp to each jar, if desired. Ladle hot liquid over garlic, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

I hope you enjoy the recipe, I'm looking forward to trying mine.
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013   #86
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

I pickle everything. Onions & peppers, green beans, beets, and cukes. I prefer the sweet pickle brine to dill. I've not pickled asparagus, but that sounds interesting. I found an interesting recipe for dill asparagus pickles. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pickled-Asparagus/

Here's my grandmother's sweet pickle recipe... http://www.hotwiredgardens.com/pdf/H...et_Pickles.pdf

They are my all time favorite.
Old February 8, 2013   #87
peppero
Tomatovillian™

i have not heard of pickled asparagus before but it does sound good. i eat a lot of mine raw because i like the crunch. thanks for sharing.

jon
Old February 8, 2013   #88
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I've not pickled asparagus yet but I buy and asparagus "ends" pickled from our produce store. It's made by a small farmers market type of place and they make a hot, garlic, mild, and sweet. I like all the flavors. Very good on top salads or sandwiches.
I keep meaning to save my own asparagus ends instead of feeding them to the dogs and chickens but I always forget.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #89
Skyking
Tomatovillian™

Default Pickle Failure ?

we have 2 batches of pickle failure....soft limp tasty pickles..why ?
We used a standard brine mix,,cut the tips off the pickles as we picked them and 15 min water bath ,50-50 water vinegar and 1/3 C of salt to a 1/2 gal liquid.
We used mostly Marketmore cukes and several Yard Longs which turned out terrible.

We used Realsalt {Redmans sea salt}????

any thoughts ?
Skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #90
crocee
Tomatovillian™

Its been my experience that most pickles will be kinda soft unless you add Pickle Crisp to each jar before canning.
crocee is offline   Reply With Quote