Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 18, 2018   #406
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

That’s a beauty Mark
K
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #407
platar
Tomatovillian™

Can`t compete with the biggest but still worth showing. My biggest this year with no extra care. There are 10 more on the same vine and all are giants over 3/4kg this one has 1.15 kg or near 2.5 Oz . They are from my hometown where are grown for decades but no one named them. And they all come from single blossom. I`ll save seeds and maybe next year try to isolate only one or two...
platar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #408
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

That is an awesome Tomato for being grown in a 5 gal container,way to grow! !! Was that hydro or soil? I'm assuming hydro.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #409
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by platar View Post
Can`t compete with the biggest but still worth showing. My biggest this year with no extra care. There are 10 more on the same vine and all are giants over 3/4kg this one has 1.15 kg or near 2.5 Oz . They are from my hometown where are grown for decades but no one named them. And they all come from single blossom. I`ll save seeds and maybe next year try to isolate only one or two...
Beautiful, but I think you meant to say 2.5 lbs, not 2.5oz since one kg is about 2.2 lbs as I recall.

I'd be glad to help you name it,I've done that for many folks.
When you save seeds for next year and have enough to share,why don't you consider making you own seed offer here at Tville, and that would go in not the Wanted,but in the Trade Forum here at Tville. Regardless if trades are wanted.

If you don't want to do that if you want to share some seeds with me,that's yet another option, seed production can be done next summer by those who do seed production for me, and then put in the Carolyn/Shawn seed offer so almost everyone would have access.

Your choice as to what you want to do.

Carolyn
Old July 24, 2018   #410
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
That is an awesome Tomato for being grown in a 5 gal container,way to grow! !! Was that hydro or soil? I'm assuming hydro.
Just plain Pro Mix HP. I wasted one of my BZ, ROASTED IT. LOL It now looks like a rotting brain. I have another going, it also came from a nice megabloom. I took the time to hand pollinate it, I could see it needed some help. I did pretty good, but one small section did not take, the part that did is really growing.

I have time to do a Terhune BZ cross, so I think I should do it. Terhune is worth pursuing, the fruits are huge, but kinda flat. BZ will help that.

I am going to take the time to prepare a couple of containers with amended dirt this year, we will see how next year goes. I still think I can grow them much bigger the same way I grew this one, I just need to tinker with the delivery methods and frequency.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2018   #411
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Mark, did you try crossing Brandywine Sudduth with another good tasting and large tomato? My biggest BS was 24.4 ounces.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2018   #412
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Very nice tomato. Try pruning one up with that variety, you will get a big tomato. Thanks for sharing.

Ella, we crossed BW with NAR. I think NAR X Terhune may be a good one too.
Old July 26, 2018   #413
platar
Tomatovillian™

@Carolyn;@AKmark ty!
Yes oviously I meant 2.5lbs
AKmark I`ll try next season, was considering about doing it this year but I had very bad start of the season.I bought a different type of potting soil as previous years and almost screw it up, because it was not draining properly and before I realized it 3 weeks vent by...The seedlings set their first true leaves and then completly stopped growing when I finaly realized whats wrong and that it is time for repotting them in trusted soil Luckily I saved all of them.
How many do you suggest to leave on the vine? One or two? The variety if left byitself with one main stem has about 10 of them all over half a kilo big. They start very slow and after a month and a few weeks later they suddenly explode.
I fertilize them with our rabbit poo, which is put on the pile to compost over winter (the red worms absolutely love it) and later I add a little guano and fermented comfrey tea from the side of the garden. I also found out that they love Epsom Salt, the leaves become dark green and they rippen completely with no green or pale shoulders.
platar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018   #414
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
@Carolyn;@AKmark ty!
AKmark I`ll try next season, was considering about doing it this year but I had very bad start of the season.I bought a different type of potting soil as previous years and almost screw it up, because it was not draining properly and before I realized it 3 weeks vent by...The seedlings set their first true leaves and then completly stopped growing when I finaly realized whats wrong and that it is time for repotting them in trusted soil Luckily I saved all of them.
How many do you suggest to leave on the vine? One or two? The variety if left byitself with one main stem has about 10 of them all over half a kilo big. They start very slow and after a month and a few weeks later they suddenly explode.
I fertilize them with our rabbit poo, which is put on the pile to compost over winter (the red worms absolutely love it) and later I add a little guano and fermented comfrey tea from the side of the garden. I also found out that they love Epsom Salt, the leaves become dark green and they rippen completely with no green or pale shoulders.
I would prune to one, preferably a fused bloom.
We should see some very large tomatoes come across this page soon, so stay tuned.

Good luck
Old July 26, 2018   #415
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
@Carolyn;@AKmark ty!
I had the same thing happen last year,it was black gold that I was using, mine sat for a month with no growth, just cotyledons,but I was still able to get 4 tomatoes over 7 lbs out of them,so don't give up,give it all ya got!!
Old July 27, 2018   #416
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Here's a tomato that I just picked and weighed.It measured 30" circumference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180726_064246.jpg (213.2 KB, 103 views)
Old July 27, 2018   #417
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Wow!!!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018   #418
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Super nice, just two ounces from your record. Love it.
Old July 27, 2018   #419
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Unreal Dan,is that a grand baby if your WR tomato?
Soooo close... you have one bigger??
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018   #420
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

I haven't been following records on tomatoes or peppers since my AG pumpkin friend wrote a giant tomato book... what's the tomato record up to now? I picked up a bell pepper from PriceRite last year that measured 1.1 lbs, it wasn't ripe enough to have viable seeds tho I did save some...none germinated; I was all ready to name it the PriceRite Pounder! I think ripe color was a golden orange, some others in the box were changing color. I'll post a pic if I find them...

Back to tomatoes... We won Biggest Tomato award at Buffalo~Niagara a couple times but I don't think any were over 3 lbs.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote