Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 17, 2018   #1
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Default Heat tolerant runner beans

I am looking for the most heat tolerant runner pole bean. Would it be better to grow them in the fall,since I live in Northeast Texas?
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018   #2
Hairy Moose Knuckles
Tomatovillian™

Insuk Wang Kong. Yes, it would be better in the fall as It's a little late to plant now.
Hairy Moose Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Christina, I had the best luck with Scarlet Runner beans, but many different ones did well for me. I don't know about planting them in the fall, because I never tried it. Painted Lady grew well with beautiful flowers, but didn't produce a lot. Insuk Wang Kong did very well.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018   #4
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Where can I get the seeds for the Insuk Wang Kong? Any special way to cook them? When did you plant yours?
Old May 18, 2018   #5
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Rattlesnake should do well and should be available at your local Feed and Seed store. While you're there, ask what varieties they stock. Those will be the ones grown in your area. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaJo View Post
Where can I get the seeds for the Insuk Wang Kong? Any special way to cook them? When did you plant yours?
I wish I could answer that first question for you. I got mine from a lady who participated in the beans part of Tormato's MMMM swap years ago. They cross as bad as pepper and okra plants do - so getting the real thing might be difficult. I didn't find a site selling them.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018   #7
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

I found some at Seed Savers exchange.....
I looked at TheSecretSeedCartel and The sample seed shop, but they didn't have the purchase button for it....?... guess they out of them? I'd rather order from them
Old May 18, 2018   #8
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Any recipes for using them? I wonder if they can well?
Old May 18, 2018   #9
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Just curious, has anyone tried shade cloth?

Here in NC, I have only been successful with an early crop sown in April/May for a June Harvest, and a crop sown later for a Fall Harvest. Matter of fact last year, right before Thanksgiving I had a small mountain of Ky Wonder. The other bean plantings that I kept sowing either wouldnt even sprout, or would fizzle out and produce nothing.

Really considering 30-40% shade cloth. The 50% on my Salad Mix is working wonders.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018   #10
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am looking for the most heat tolerant runner pole bean. Would it be better to grow them in the fall,since I live in Northeast Texas?
Perhaps some confusion... are you referring to runner beans (such as Scarlet Runner), or to common pole "green beans"? How will the beans be used, as snaps, shellies, or dry?

True runner beans (including Insuk's Wang Kong) do poorly in heat; they might flower, but not form pods unless/until conditions cool. They are good for snap beans in areas too cool for regular beans to do well... and the very large seeds are also a good cool-weather lima substitute. You might be able to plant them late, so that pods set in cooler Fall weather.

But if what you want is just some snap beans, then I concur with the recommendation for the pole bean Rattlesnake.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2018   #11
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I'm referring to runner beans(scarlet runner)
Old May 20, 2018   #12
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm... you live in a challenging climate for runner beans. I have several that you could try (including Insuk's Wang Kong), but it would be helpful to know how you intend to use them. All could be used as snaps; good sweet flavor, but meatier than regular snaps, and need to be picked very young.

- Insuk's, red flowers, purple & black or all black seeds, good as very large shellies
- Gigandes, white flowers, white seeds, poorly productive as snaps, grown for their VERY large shellies
- Tucomares Chocolate, bi-color red & pink flowers, brown seeds, very productive here for both snaps & dry seed

If you would like to try any of these, send me a PM with your address, and I'll send you some seed.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #13
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

This season I'm trying Tennessee Green Pod for the first time. It was listed as a 50 day bush bean but I soon noticed what looked like vines starting. I did some internet sleuthing and came across something that said that this bean "has semi-runner tendencies". That caused me to put a piece of fencing behind them and sure as shootin' they're climbing it. It will be interesting to see how far they "run".

It's now 26 days from germination and they're flowering. If this really is a runner bean and takes the heat, I'll let you know. They just might finish before the real heat sets in though, so I might plant more in another bed for a later finish to test heat tolerance.

Got 'em from Shumway:
https://www.rhshumway.com/P/01083/Tennessee+Green+Pod+Bush+Bean

Last edited by GoDawgs; May 29, 2018 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Oops! Put the wrong company link!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #14
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Here's a photo of those Tennessee Green Pods, a "bush bean" but with runner tendencies. That's a 40" tall piece of fence I had to put behind them.

The Shumway catalog description includes:
"Highly recommended for hot, dry growing conditions. When other beans burn under extreme heat, the Tennessee Green Pod continues to produce a large, vigorous crop of 6" to 7", medium-dark green string beans."

I bought them to try as I was also looking for heat tolerance. They are a 50 day bean. It's been a cooler and wetter May than normal so yesterday I planted another 18' row to see how they do in June heat. Might also try some in the fall along with the Contenders if they bear well.

Last edited by GoDawgs; May 30, 2018 at 10:30 AM.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2018   #15
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

those Greek gigantic beans have begun to bloom. I broke one flower and tried to know where the pistil is and where the pollen is. I did not succeed. I do not know if I would be able to hand-pollinate them.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2062.jpg (607.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2065.jpg (585.3 KB, 48 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote