Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 12, 2016   #241
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Yes we just want to be sure it's stable and ready.

I certainly could, but this is a partnership, and I think Karen wants to select the successive generations. But you are right Barb, there is time to.

Mark the discoveries of all these wonderful potato leaf cherries and even PL multiflora is so much fun.
I just can't wait to see how the other F3s mature.

I am totally fine with you going for an F4 for the early pink if it's turns out the same as this one and tasting as good and If you can get me F4 seed for the end of Feb, I could do F 5 and 6 here in spring and summer/fall and we could release it if looks stable at that stage for spring of 2018. meantime we can keep working through the others as there seems to still be a lot of segregation going on in them. I leave it up to you so go for it if you want to.
KO

Last edited by KarenO; December 13, 2016 at 12:35 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #242
imp
Tomatovillian™

All I can do is just moan.....

And be happy that things are going along so well, both of you have been working hard on the project!!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #243
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default The Other Pink has ripened

The KARMA PINK in the 7 gallon pot has begun to ripen. These are a bit smaller, color is lighter because it hasn't sat on the counter for a day or 2 yet to continue ripening. Shown here with the EB one for comparison.
The taste is also superb, just as good as the EB one, and both are just cranking out the fruit.
No cracking skin but it ripened not in the presence of rain. We have to see how the EB one does when it ripens without rain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161213_170201-800x600.jpg (95.4 KB, 211 views)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #244
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I am totally fine with you going for an F4 for the early pink if it's turns out the same as this one and tasting as good and If you can get me F4 seed for the end of Feb, I could do F 5 and 6 here in spring and summer/fall and we could release it if looks stable at that stage for spring of 2018. meantime we can keep working through the others as there seems to still be a lot of segregation going on in them. I leave it up to you so go for it if you want to.
KO
I might just do that. It would be perfect if the pink is already stable. Too much to hope for?
Old December 13, 2016   #245
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

No, f2 and f3 very similar. If f4 tastes as good will be the deciding factor. If not then redo the f4 again here in the spring. If lucky, you might be able to compare them head to head if the f3 plant you have now is still alive.
I would love to be able to get one out there a year early, then we can get the next one stable before releasing. It could work.

KarenO
Old December 15, 2016   #246
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default KARMA PHOTO UPDATE 11/15 Purple F3

This multiflora is starting to ripen beautiful purple with green shouldered fruit. Taste is so outstanding. 9.5/10, scrumptious/ delicious, production off the hook, over the top. Flesh is firm but not crunchy, walls thick, just outstanding. Medium-large cherry size. I hope we can keep the multiflora trait, this is the one in the Earthbox. Winner! This will replace black cherry for me. Karen, what a fantastic cross! We have to go as fast as we can to get these stable, they are a gift to the world. Can you tell I am excited?

Last photo is more of the pink startling to ripen, I will harvest and sown a few seeds to get it past the F4, hopefully sending you F4 AND F5 seeds of pink.

Gosh I am loving this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161215_130354-800x600.jpg (183.1 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 20161215_130722-800x600.jpg (74.0 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 20161215_130801-800x600.jpg (88.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 20161215_130920-800x600.jpg (89.8 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 20161215_130426-800x600.jpg (143.9 KB, 183 views)
Old December 15, 2016   #247
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

seeds from those will produce F4 plants already! That's awesome!
I was most concerned about the taste still coming through and so glad that it did! My personal bias toward potato leaf plants has a lot to do with my opinion that in general, to me, PL seems to also mean great flavour in large tomatoes, my hearts and now these cherries are getting the big real tomato taste that I got this summer too. seedy and overly juicy cherries that explode when bitten into are not what I was hoping for. The ones I chose from the F2 all tasted like "big" tomatoes and I am so happy you think so too! The multiflora is a fabulous and unexpected bonus that I hope will come though in the F4 too
K
Old December 17, 2016   #248
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Ladies, this black cherry sounds unbelievable. I do not know if there is another black cherry with potato leaf. Forget about being PL multiflora.
Great job.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #249
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Ladies, this black cherry sounds unbelievable. I do not know if there is another black cherry with potato leaf. Forget about being PL multiflora.
Great job.
Yes, there is a black cherry PL multiflora, see this link and start at post #24

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...tiflora&page=2

Soren did send me the seeds and it was grown this past summer. When I responded to him that yes,it was PL, fruits larger than cherries, not round, Freda only got a few fruits from it and the taste was wonderful.

So he said he was going to work with it. And note that he said not to share seeds with anyone,only to Rob who raises all my seedlings for me and him I trust beyond the moon. As for multiflora, Freda knows what that means and said barely.

My concern was that if any fruits dropped to the soil that some bird might get seeds out of them and spread them around,but where I live if those seeds ended up in someones garden,trust me,they wouldn't know what to do with it and probably would call the Cornell Coop Ex person to make a diagnosis.

It was a lousy summer here for tomatoes,I barely got enough to eat from 17 plants, but the 4 new ones that Bill Jeffers bred were outstanding.

All for now,

Carolyn
Old December 17, 2016   #250
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

So as mentioned, There is no other black potato leaf multiflora cherry available to date and ours is special because it is something new.
My goal with this cross was a great tasting fancy colour potato leaf cherry. The multiflora trait is unexpected and interesting and I do hope it is maintained in the next generation although it may not be. Only time will tell and taste is the most important trait to me, I think Marsha feels the same.
KarenO
Old December 17, 2016   #251
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Karen, I do agree with everything you said, and so far the taste is superb.
Ours is definitely multiflora and it set lots of fruits, and they are cherry sized.
Old December 17, 2016   #252
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
So as mentioned, There is no other black potato leaf multiflora cherry available to date and ours is special because it is something new.
My goal with this cross was a great tasting fancy colour potato leaf cherry. The multiflora trait is unexpected and interesting and I do hope it is maintained in the next generation although it may not be. Only time will tell and taste is the most important trait to me, I think Marsha feels the same.
KarenO
So as I mentioned above about Soren's one,which he knows and I do too,is PL, brown right now not coal black but he can back cross, and a multiflora for him, I know from his pictures but not so multiflora as grown here last summer and wonderful flavor as I noted, also new, perhaps was not the thing to do?

Carolyn, who thought she was being helpful,that's all and nothing to do with what you and Marsha are developing.Oh well.
Old December 17, 2016   #253
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, the epidermis is completely clear ours are purple.
Old December 17, 2016   #254
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure there are countless excellent tomatoes in development and I wish every breeder out there every success in their projects. These are ours and we are glad to show them off all throughout the process. I think it is interesting to show the process of stabilizing an OP tomato. Making the initial cross is the easy part. Finding a selection worth growing and working through multi generations to stabilize it without losing important traits is what is difficult. So grateful to Marsha for partnering with me in order that the process will be done In Half the time maybe even less if we can each squeeze out 2 generations per year.
Old December 17, 2016   #255
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Posts 246, 248 and 250 all refer to a black cherry, but that changes in post 253 to a purple cherry described as having a clear epidermis.

I know many varieties that have purple as part of the name and you folks do as well,such as

Eva Purple Ball
Prudens Purple
Aunt Ginny's Purple, and all are pink since the word purple was often used to describe a pink .

If the epidermis was clear on your purple it would be pink,if it was yellow it would be a much darker color.

The only two varieties I know of that actually do have some purple are Purple Smudge and Orange Fleshed Purple Smudge.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Purple_Smudge

And one more

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Tania hasn't grown it and descibes it as black, I have,it's not black it really is purple and yes ribbed, and one of the most beautiful varieties I've ever grown,but taste is awful for me and same for most other SSE listed members as does Purple Calabash.

Over and out,

Carolyn