Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 10, 2018   #2476
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Light dusting of snow here, 18 degrees with a 9 degree wind chill... Where the heck did fall go? I passed on hunting this morning, until I get climatized to this weather.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018   #2477
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Drizzle and in the 40's.
Hotrod car show on downtown main street.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018   #2478
bower
Tomatovillian™

White and piling up when I walked out of sales event this afternoon. Solid 3cm on the deck when I got home. It was seriously frosty this morning but calm and pleasant afterwards, between 2 and 5 pm it really turned. This is our first real snowfall since... June. Will be 10 C (50 F) tomorrow they say and a welcome respite for however long it lasts.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018   #2479
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

53+ inches of rain = RKN breeding season. It is the wettest Fall of all times here. My brother has septic backing up into his house. He lives on the only flat ground on this property. We are washing clothes in town - the ground is too saturated. It's raining tonight all day tomorrow.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018   #2480
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default wet and no sun

It's been that way for most of the fall here too. I'm hoping my bearded iris don't rot. I dug up some of the white "cemetery iris" growing around my FIL's old falling down childhood home in south Arkansas many years ago. It took them a couple of years to get acclimated to Texas, but they usually bloom every year now. The original stand of these heirloom iris was over 100 years old. Bearded iris are not supposed to do well in my microclimate (which makes me want them even more!). Beardless iris=good, bearded iris=not good.

About three weeks ago I saw bearded iris tubers at Lowe's, although I don't know why they would even try to sell them here. But I was attracted to the beautiful colors and bought four tubers. They've been been in the ground for three weeks and three show signs of life. I know they don't like wet feet, so I planted the tubers like Google told me to. The ground is saturated, so there's not much I can do at this point.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018   #2481
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default white cemetery iris

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...WhCemIris.html

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
Old November 13, 2018   #2482
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default What the heck?????

Sleet! Go away, I'm in zone 9!

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
Old November 13, 2018   #2483
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I laughed at the National Weather Service saying the low temperature tonight will mean an end of the outdoor growing season... 23F/-5C might do that.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; November 13, 2018 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Spellling erorz
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2018   #2484
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post
Sleet! Go away, I'm in zone 9!

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
Are you getting sleet?

I'm rushing around outside trying to get all the plants I want to keep in the greenhouse. 32 projected for tonight, ARGH!
Old November 13, 2018   #2485
bower
Tomatovillian™

We had a great day today but that is one tiny window of opportunity in the nasty weather... Couple of light snows here so far (then melting in the day), but the nasty part is the wind. Wow for a place that is one of the windiest on earth, the weather lately is awfully windy. We've been having winds gusting over 80 kph on a regular basis (at least every other day), and it's forecast to go on. Major high winds forecast tomorrow gusting 120-140 kph on the west side of the island from White Bay to Avalon (ie a whole lot of coastline).

The only warm weather we're getting is wet (and windy) - which has been going on for the whole fall, but now the warm doesn't last as long or come as often. Half day of drench tomorrow and 10 C then plummeting to -1 as the winds get howling in the afternoon.
Will be power outage ready... I should make a pot of curry and put that in the slow cooker in the morning. Can't beat the satisfaction of a warm meal when the lines are down.
Old November 13, 2018   #2486
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have been working outside in the cold freezing windy weather all day long.
Worth
Old November 13, 2018   #2487
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Sleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Are you getting sleet?

I'm rushing around outside trying to get all the plants I want to keep in the greenhouse. 32 projected for tonight, ARGH!

When my husband and I went out for lunch around 11:30, it was sleeting hard. I needed an umbrella. A rare event for my area. I'm trying to save some vulnerable potted plants for the next couple of days.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
Old November 13, 2018   #2488
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

19 degrees with intermittent snow showers today.
my wife and son were on the road today when a heavy snow shower blew in. visibility went to nuthin for a few minutes. scary.
once you get to the top of quincy hill on us 41 the weather "magically" clears as you approach hancock, and houghton. the higher terrain where we are gets hammered during the winter. the weather now is more like december weather.
bah

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2018   #2489
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Comfortable 63 degrees F in the house.
I bet my neighbor lady has hers set at 80 F.

Worth
Old November 14, 2018   #2490
bower
Tomatovillian™

Just looking at the high temperatures this week compared to normals - a "normal" high 7 C and low of zero or freezing. The forecast temperatures for the next six days average out to less than 1 C. And even if you count the stormy high expected today of 10 C (50 F) the average for these seven days is only 2 C. We do sometimes have a year when the winter sets in as early as the end of november, it is not something we look forward to though!