Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old March 6, 2017   #151
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Rajun, I have seen this style gauge, but had no idea how it worked. thanks for sharing.
Old March 6, 2017   #152
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I am glad it is working for you.
That one might take a 1/8 NPT pipe thread so the All American stuff would work if it does.

The time it took for me to make this stuff isn't worth it to sell to anyone.
At least the first one anyway.

It was more an exercise to show that a person can make stuff without relying on outside sources.
I also like the challenge and with it the disappointments of failure and final success.
Learning from mistakes.
Yes I do have a scrap pile.
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; March 6, 2017 at 09:42 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #153
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Good to see you got it, and I see the safety plug now.

Quote:
the guy packaged it great
No they guy did not pack it great. Crumpled newspaper make terrible shock absorbers unless they're stuffed in there so tight you could barely get the item out.

Yours doesn't have the inner tray, being a fryer after all, but I never fill mine higher than the bottom of the tray, less than 1/2". Now I gotta try using mine as a fryer.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #154
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I do have the little bottom tray, it looks like it's never been used. I need to read up on all these things.
Are you saying you fry without the tray/cooking rack? I haven't looked into what to use it for yet but did read in the link I posted they use it for custards.

Here's the jiggler pressure radings chart.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #155
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I belong to a facebook canning group... we are rebels... we can everything. cake, beans, meat you name it it is being tweaked and tried. lots of great recipes if you are adventurous and want to try them. I made a batch of knock off Bushes baked beans a while ago. they were fabulous.. no cheaper (probably more expensive) than prepared ones, but you know what you are eating. I don't even flinch if there is a storm warning NOT going to find me at the store. never.. I can because I can. I like to eat. who says you can't can noodles? "they are mushy... blah blah blah"... no they aren't. chicken and noodles from a jar? fabulous.
Old March 6, 2017   #156
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Worth, I belong to a facebook canning group... we are rebels... we can everything. cake, beans, meat you name it it is being tweaked and tried. lots of great recipes if you are adventurous and want to try them. I made a batch of knock off Bushes baked beans a while ago. they were fabulous.. no cheaper (probably more expensive) than prepared ones, but you know what you are eating. I don't even flinch if there is a storm warning NOT going to find me at the store. never.. I can because I can. I like to eat. who says you can't can noodles? "they are mushy... blah blah blah"... no they aren't. chicken and noodles from a jar? fabulous.
Thanks I might join facebook just to join your group.

The ((approved)) stuff they have on line is ridiculous a person would starve to death out of boredom.

Worth
Old March 6, 2017   #157
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Carolyn, that does sound interesting... cake? wow.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2017   #158
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
...I tested it with water and didn't like the time it took to start hissing so I pulled the heat. After it cooled I took the old type jiggler off and started checking the inside with a toothpick and it came out dirty .... It was full of gunk but she's doing the hissing fine now.
You are a lucky guy, you could have been severely scalded by escaping hot steam. The condition of unknown equipment should be carefully checked before use.
Quote:
I just cooked some sausage to try it out because that's what was on the menu. I browned the sausage and then added onions and browned them a little...
I hope you didn't forget to cool the rim with a wet sponge or the rubber ring won't last very long...
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2017   #159
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
You are a lucky guy, you could have been severely scalded by escaping hot steam. The condition of unknown equipment should be carefully checked before use.

I hope you didn't forget to cool the rim with a wet sponge or the rubber ring won't last very long...
You are right and it's a good warning for anyone testing a pressure cooker for the first time.

I went through the instructions before using it, I wasn't familiar with this type jiggler and the instructions helped me understand how it worked.

I didn't take any chances with it. I put water in and tightened the cover then brought it up to steaming and cut the heat off. When the steam slowed down I then put the jiggler on and used tongs to move it around to let the steam escape. After I knew I could bleed the pressure this way then I turned the heat on again and watched the indicator pin, when it didn't come out I just turned off the heat and held the jiggler at an angle to release the pressure.

NEVER DID I HAVE THE HEAT ON AND NO HEAT ESCAPING FOR MORE THAN 30 SECONDS BEFORE I MANUALLY/CAREFULLY RELEASED THE PRESSURE.
I also have the over pressure plug that would've blown off before the pot exploded.

The lid was cooled before I used it the 2nd time. Is that a tip that's not in the manual? The manual says to brown the meat then add water/broth then cover and if the cover doesn't fit properly it's because the pot expanded from the heat and to set the lid on the pot to warm it up and it should then expand too and fit properly.

I think using a pressure cooker/canner comes down to experience and common sense, those you can't get from the manual.
Old March 7, 2017   #160
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

If y'all want to be a rebel and can things like cake, go ahead. Just warning that botulism has been found in such low acid canned foods. Yes it is rare but that's the chance you take. Worth, I'd rather be bored than dead or disabled. I'm sure you will have a come back but I'm being serious. There are reasons for having recipes tested with botulism type markers to see if they are destroyed when processed. I prefer not to take chances with my family and friends.

Just one more thought carolyn...if the sh*t hits the fan, and all hell breaks loose and you get sick from improperly canned food, what will you do if there is no medical help available? I say these things out of concern, not because I'm trying to prove myself right. Canning cake has been proven risky and Ball says not to use their jars in the oven. Jars do break in the dry heat. You can do it if you want to. Not going to advocate it here.
Old March 7, 2017   #161
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I know that some of you who have seen me make the vent tube and weights are thinking, 'Ole Worth has lost his mind and going to blow himself up.
No it isn't something you can do with the average tools you have at home.
I have a huge selection of drills and reamers to pick from.
Also ways to measure stuff.
But the concept is simple.
There are two ways to do it.
One is to mess with the weight by using different weights or playing with physics like I did.

Here is how it looks on the inside.
By making the surface area larger the steam has to push on the greater the ability for a given pressure to create lift.

Fig A would be 15 PSI where Fig B would be 10 PSI or less even though the mass of the weight would be the same.
Or another way of putting it the weight would weigh the same.
The size of the hole in the vent tube is not that critical within reason.
Once this weight has lifted from the cone of the vent tube it has to release more pressure than the chamber can generate.
This way it will fall back down and seal after a few chatters.
This way the pressure stays the same.
If not it will just continue to stay up and hiss until the pressure drops down slowly or lift off like a NASA rocket like mine did before I cut the slots.
Here is the pictuer of the contraption within reason.
I did make the hole larger in the bottom area of the vent tube and I left out the holes and grove to compensate for any particles that might stop it up.

Worth
Weight regulator R.jpg
Old March 7, 2017   #162
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
If y'all want to be a rebel and can things like cake, go ahead. Just warning that botulism has been found in such low acid canned foods. Yes it is rare but that's the chance you take. Worth, I'd rather be bored than dead or disabled. I'm sure you will have a come back but I'm being serious. There are reasons for having recipes tested with botulism type markers to see if they are destroyed when processed. I prefer not to take chances with my family and friends.

Just one more thought carolyn...if the sh*t hits the fan, and all hell breaks loose and you get sick from improperly canned food, what will you do if there is no medical help available? I say these things out of concern, not because I'm trying to prove myself right. Canning cake has been proven risky and Ball says not to use their jars in the oven. Jars do break in the dry heat. You can do it if you want to. Not going to advocate it here.
Why would I have a comeback to dispute your concern.
I dont even like cake why would I want to can it.

I also know why they dont recommend canning stuff with four in it and cured meats.
They cant control the amount of flour you put in the product and what kind of cure it is or how long it was cured.
But the cured meat thing bothers me to no end but I will not discuss it here or my ideas about it.
Sorry you feel that way about me.
Worth
Old March 7, 2017   #163
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

There's still good customer service on Ebay!!! I sent the seller a message this morning about the broken handle on the old Fry Master.
Your previous message

I received the cooker yesterday and the USPS apparently dropped it on the small handle and shattered it. I'll make a new one out of wood so don't worry about it.

In the future you need to pack things tighter if you're gonna use newspaper. You have to think the USPS Gorilla will break it when packing an item.

hollyeva10:

Good morning, i am very sorry for any inconvenience so i am going to refund 20.00 to you. And thank you for being so kind and understanding, Dee

A few minutes later I received this from PayPal:

hollyeva10 just sent you a partial refund of $20.00 USD for your purchase.

If you have any questions about this refund, please contact hollyeva10.

The refund will go to your PayPal account.

This was an unexpected refund.
Old March 7, 2017   #164
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I do have the little bottom tray, it looks like it's never been used. I need to read up on all these things.
Are you saying you fry without the tray/cooking rack? I haven't looked into what to use it for yet but did read in the link I posted they use it for custards.
I've never fried in mine and thus always use the tray. It just keeps food off the bottom. Unless you're frying you want to transfer heat through the steam, not through contact with the aluminum bottom.

Custard in a pressure cooker? Sure, why not! I'll have to try it.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2017   #165
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

When I ordered some stuff from Grizzly UPS totally destroyed two boxes and lost some things in the process.
I took photos of everything and sent them to Grizzly in an email just as they instructed people too do on their website when you order stuff.
The other problem was the inventory sheets didn't match up to what was in one of the boxes.

Unlike a kid on Christmas day tossing stuff everywhere I inventoried everything as I took it out of the boxes and noted discrepancies as I went along.
When I sent all of this information to them and made a call they were as happy as a clam that I did all of this.
This way they made UPS pay for the problem not them.
They even had the UPS guy come by the house and pick up the damaged stuff for free.
Worth