Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 31, 2016   #91
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

I wish I could have started grow outs this year. Maybe next year.

Currently setting up to grow more next year. They are so fun to look at
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #92
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Sun View Post
I wish I could have started grow outs this year. Maybe next year.

Currently setting up to grow more next year. They are so fun to look at
Where are you located? I have several starts that I will not have room for that you are more than welcome to. I live in Morgan and commute to Salt Lake City regularly. It may be easy to get some to you. PM me your information and maybe we can get you some.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #93
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

My 5 11xF3 are all similar size, all PL, one is definitely multi-flora or maybe better to say much more so than the others. All 5 have pointed ends to the fruits like seen below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (219.6 KB, 241 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #94
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default 13X - F3 - 1

We had a huge rain storm so the first ones to ripen were split so I used them to save seeds. We are suppose to save seeds, right?

Taste was good. Still lots of fruit /flowers on the 2 plants. Night time lows are 74ish so minimal fruit set.

Look forward to growing them again in August. Next time bigger containers; I used 2 gallon and 1 gallon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MD weighed tomatoes (300x400).jpg (46.6 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg MD cut tomato (400x300).jpg (39.6 KB, 237 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #95
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
We had a huge rain storm so the first ones to ripen were split so I used them to save seeds. We are suppose to save seeds, right?

Taste was good. Still lots of fruit /flowers on the 2 plants. Night time lows are 74ish so minimal fruit set.

Look forward to growing them again in August. Next time bigger containers; I used 2 gallon and 1 gallon.
Save seed only if you think it is worth growing again. They will probably all be somewhat different and we only want to advance the best. I'm glad to see the stripes stayed. I thought 13X-F2-1 (the parent of 13X-F3-1) was one of the best tasting small eating cherries I have ever had. I'm hoping we can stabilize the color and taste and, hopefully, also find some with larger fruit
Old June 1, 2016   #96
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

How much space is everybody giving them, if planted in-ground in the garden?
Old June 1, 2016   #97
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post

How tall / big around did the two plants get? Were they similar or did they differ? What about the fruit size/taste? Lots of blossoms? How heavily did they set fruit? I could ask a hundred questions.

Don't mix seed from two different plants because they are still segregating. Keep seed from the best of the variety if it is good enough. I'm happy to send you more seeds or seeds from others if they are not good enough.

Thanks for posting.
Old June 1, 2016   #98
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Here is the plant with crazy flowers. I wonder what makes one go crazy and the others I think you'd still classify as multi flora just much more restrained.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (290.4 KB, 429 views)
Old June 1, 2016   #99
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Wowzers! That's a lot of blossoms! Which numbered selection is that from? Looks like a potato leaf, and yet I see some serrated leaves on the right side, is that just one plant or two in the blue pot?

Mine are still in 4"- 5" pots, I need to up-pot them into their final places. I took some pictures to post, but haven't upload to my computer, now I think I'll wait until all the blossoms open and take new ones for more color.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #100
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Wowzers! That's a lot of blossoms! Which numbered selection is that from? Looks like a potato leaf, and yet I see some serrated leaves on the right side, is that just one plant or two in the blue pot?

Mine are still in 4"- 5" pots, I need to up-pot them into their final places. I took some pictures to post, but haven't upload to my computer, now I think I'll wait until all the blossoms open and take new ones for more color.
It is 11xF3. All 5 of plants are PL, that is the only 1 with flowers like that. All 5 plants have fruits with pointed ends and all are similar height. The serrated leaf is an unrelated dwarf seedling in a black square cup next to the blue pot--sorry for that confusion.

The one with all the blossoms is in the blue pot with 2 others--3 total. I have the other 2 in another pot. I've been pruning leaves off the plants in the blue pot in the center of the pot to keep airflow OK.
Old June 6, 2016   #101
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I haven't had much to report until now. I have been having foliage disease on most of my tomatoes, and hadn't had ripe fruit until this last week. I picked a few fruit from the 13x line I was given, and finally got to try one today. I wasn't expecting much, so I didn't bother getting a picture. It is one of the best tomatoes I have ever eaten. Easily a 9.5 out of 10. It was sweet, with a richness that was surprising, and just a little tomato flavor. I am going to start giving this one special treatment to try to nurse more fruit out of it. It was nearly heart shaped, red-with purple shoulders. Here is a picture of an unripe fruit from the same plant, I will post a picture when it ripens. I saved seeds and have them fermenting now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13321922_10209941533322042_3506530165008286470_n.jpg (32.3 KB, 191 views)
Old June 9, 2016   #102
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Exciting find! A 9.5, wow!

Using Bower's flower color hypothesis (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41559) it looks like all 5 of my 11xF3 will be red or yellow.

Dan, I believe in the notes you sent with the varieties you said the 11xF2 was a red cherry. Was the 11xF3 line continued from 1 plant? If it was red and if I'm thinking about color genetics right, the F2 may have been fixed for red, so all offspring will be red or if the red F2 was heterozygous for red, then other colors are still possible. But since red is dominate, we don't yet know, but the F3 grow out should shed light.

My first 11xF3 set fruit on 5/10 so I'm hoping to get some first ripe ones in a couple of weeks!
Old June 9, 2016   #103
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Well I guess I was off on the next couple of weeks part. Looks like the first plant is starting to blush!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (225.6 KB, 168 views)
Old June 10, 2016   #104
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Exciting find! A 9.5, wow!

Using Bower's flower color hypothesis (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41559) it looks like all 5 of my 11xF3 will be red or yellow.

Dan, I believe in the notes you sent with the varieties you said the 11xF2 was a red cherry. Was the 11xF3 line continued from 1 plant? If it was red and if I'm thinking about color genetics right, the F2 may have been fixed for red, so all offspring will be red or if the red F2 was heterozygous for red, then other colors are still possible. But since red is dominate, we don't yet know, but the F3 grow out should shed light.

My first 11xF3 set fruit on 5/10 so I'm hoping to get some first ripe ones in a couple of weeks!
The 11X cross was the Micro Multi-flora - which was a red cherry - crossed with a Brandywine X Margaret Curtain F1. I suspect that the likely fruit colors are pink, red or purple/black. I hope the flavor is there.
Old June 10, 2016   #105
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
I haven't had much to report until now. I have been having foliage disease on most of my tomatoes, and hadn't had ripe fruit until this last week. I picked a few fruit from the 13x line I was given, and finally got to try one today. I wasn't expecting much, so I didn't bother getting a picture. It is one of the best tomatoes I have ever eaten. Easily a 9.5 out of 10. It was sweet, with a richness that was surprising, and just a little tomato flavor. I am going to start giving this one special treatment to try to nurse more fruit out of it. It was nearly heart shaped, red-with purple shoulders. Here is a picture of an unripe fruit from the same plant, I will post a picture when it ripens. I saved seeds and have them fermenting now.
That is great news!. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the F2 that seed came from was one of the best tasting I have ever grown. I hope we can keep that taste and get it stable. What was the growth habit of that plant?